Tbird650

Crack in blank- misuse or defect?

Rate this topic

34 posts in this topic

So I was washing down my main rod a week or two ago and I noticed this crack. Just above the stripper or first guide. Going up.   It could have been there for a awhile. I was thinking it was a scratch so I put some soapy water on it and blew inside the blank and yes it goes all the way through.

I have had the rod for two years and put around 100 fish. I did notice from the time it was new that the top half would twist to my left after casting for 20-30mins. I always kept my eye on it and  periodically would  realign  It. My question is do you think over time the contact inside the ferrel was not supporting the the top half and led to the crack? Do I have a leg to stand on to try and have it replaced? I really loved this rod and took very good care of it. The crack ends about where the male insert ends when it’s together.  It’s a RH surf series 11’ 1-4oz. Mod 2pc rod. Really bummed as it was my go two. I email him and he wanted me to send it in to determine whether it was a defect and it would be replace on warranty. What do you guys think? Worth $40 to send in? Or do I make it into a one piece and learn my lesson on $450 rods and there warranty’s?

thanks for any insight and advise guys. Sad day to lose my fishing buddy

46B4A67E-A897-480C-9E4D-64904A82305E.jpeg

3DE433CF-9E66-47D9-BEA6-E489AE7CAFE4.jpeg

FDA5EB83-4151-4F5B-8CFE-7EBB5BEE1B3C.jpeg

Sorry missed the RH part.  I have no experience from them but if it was rotating since the beginning I would tell them the same story and see what you can come up with.  No harm in trying.

I did notice from the time it was new that the top half would twist to my left after casting for 20-30mins

send him this information,

in my opinion the crack was there to cose the twisting.

Thanks for the reply guys. I did send him a email telling him my story. Got a simple answer a week later to sending it in and they would determine if it was a defect. I am 90% sure he’s is going to say it was my fault and I don’t blame him for that. Can’t give away new rods if you’re running a business....buuuuttt I have never had a rod crack like that on the joint and the male end looks like the top half was moving on it for awhile. Not sure if it will show up in a pic but it looks like it was wearing in spots and not touching in others. Looks unusual to me. I will probably send it in but wanted a few opinions before I deal with the rod maker and hear his. The fitting of the two sections is suspect to me. I ask him what if they said it was my fault but have not heard back. 50% off a new one would work. I just don’t want to spend $40 to send it then $40 to get it back still broken. The pic shows how the paint went under the joint. The blank must have been oval or out of round for paint to be under the top section. Like that?

1066A028-086B-4097-905B-B0B8647AB264.jpeg

BCCC4DD4-003F-43FF-AA31-6AE63907A462.jpeg

Maybe I misspoke saying defect... maybe it would be a better to say “building defect”? Or “bad build”?

this crack is where the rod by all rights should be the strongest right? Two layers?

I put around a 100 fish on it and all the casting in between going into 3 seasons so it got used. I don’t think the blank or material was the issue. I expect the usual wear and cracks in guide epoxy (there are none actually) but I feel that the slop left in the fitting of the two sections from the build cause it to wear out prematurely. Is that a valid reason? When you look inside of the top section you can see where it was rubbing on one side (the guide side) and looks like it was not even touching on top after about and inch in. I noticed it day one it felt lose like it had been over rimmed to fit. 

I respect a lot of you and was was looking for someone more experienced to give an opinion on if this would be a build mistake and should be covered  with the ”lifetime warranty”  that this builder offers. I lost faith with his opinion when this rod showed up months late with the wrong color guide wraps and handle specs.  I am pretty sure he’s going to throw it in the corner and I will never hear from him again.  

7711C864-CAB7-4A48-85B2-2EE47E3EC535.jpeg

With that much time and that many fish on the rod it's not a defect. Loose ferrule, foreign material on the male end, etc.

Things break, give us a reason to get new ones.

i picked up piece a **** rod 20 years a go made in korea,shimano 6'6" medium,medium,on sale $9,the rod has scraped warnish everywhere,i fish that 20 years catching fish up to 20 lb in the river in heavy curent,it never fail,i use 30# power pro,i had few snags i had to put line on the rag and walk back to brake the line.the rod is rated 1/4 to 3/4 oz,i cast 1 oz to 2 oz lures with no problem.this should be standard for every industry.

what is your rod rating ?if it is 2 oz and you cast 8 oz you could demige that,the fish can not demige blank,for that is reel and proper drag,

if you catch 200 lb shark you just point the rod to the fish she can not demige the rod.

if you did not abuse the rod,step on that,snag try to overlod the rod then the rod is defective no quastion .

if you tolking money and builder it can be explaned protecting money.

send him mesage

the rod is defective and he has to replace that,if not you will put rewie off the rod and proces on the web,for good advertisment.

rod for $400 shold have life time  uncondition warantie.

1 hour ago, Drew C. said:

Perhaps the most incoherent thread ever on sol and that's not an easy thing to do!

Ditto:banghd:

Thanks for the input fellas. 

If the builder would communicate with me I would have not brought it here. 

This rod is rated 1-4oz. It’s a moderate action rod. I would say it’s more like 1-3oz.

the heaviest plug I used was a super strike 2 3/8oz. Popper.  In fact I stop throwing even those and just threw the 1.5 oz popper, 2oz metal and 3/4-1oz bucktails with it. I honestly don’t think I over loaded it. This thing is a whip stick. A lot of flex. Is it possible I under weighted it? Is that a thing? Like dry firing a bow? Mostly been using 3/4 this year.  

The top not seated properly I believe has something to do with it. What about having a guide on the the joint like that? Is that top notch building? Looking through my rod rack the only other rod I have that has a guide that low is my made in Mexico triumph. It’s twice as old but still feels new. 

Rod I broke before this I slam the truck door on. Rod before that I high stick checking the drag. Both I knew I mess up right away. If I knew I did something I

would keep my mouth shut and be to embarrassed to start a thread about it. This one has me thinking it’s not my fault. 

I pulled the 10’6  1-6oz legend off my rack to use now. I’m the 2nd owner. I don’t think I will have any problems with that one.

sorry for the jumble thoughts. Will try to put more time into my proof reading

3 hours ago, snag777 said:

rod for $400 shold have life time  uncondition warantie.

My rods for $2000 don't have a unconditional lifetime waranteee. Neither does your car, or any other product other than fishing rods. Fishermen are a bunch of dicks thinking the way they do, and have singehandedly made the price of rods as high as they are because they pay for this type of warantee with every rod they purchase.

OP - the person you purchased from has a well documented history of not communicating with his customers. I don't know what else you would expect. YOu'r enot going to get teh answer you are looking for, nobody can answer unless we see teh rod in person, and know everyhting ever done to teh rod. Questioning the builder and his guide placement and some of the other stuff you wrote makes you look silly, you obviously don't know wtf you are talking about. If one of my customers would say to me the stuff you've posted about I'd be making a new post about how stupid customers are.

4 mins ago, Billy 40 said:

My rods for $2000 don't have a unconditional lifetime waranteee. Neither does your car, or any other product other than fishing rods. Fishermen are a bunch of dicks thinking the way they do, and have singehandedly made the price of rods as high as they are because they pay for this type of warantee with every rod they purchase.

OP - the person you purchased from has a well documented history of not communicating with his customers. I don't know what else you would expect. YOu'r enot going to get teh answer you are looking for, nobody can answer unless we see teh rod in person, and know everyhting ever done to teh rod. Questioning the builder and his guide placement and some of the other stuff you wrote makes you look silly, you obviously don't know wtf you are talking about. If one of my customers would say to me the stuff you've posted about I'd be making a new post about how stupid customers are.

Look I’m not saying I expect a lifetime warranty. But if your going to offer a limited lifetime warranty to get more business don’t you have to stand by it? 

A guy more experience them myself pointed out the guide placement as suspect. I’m keeping names out and trying to relay what I have learn from guys who do know WTF they are talking about. The only thing I think is that the fitting was off in the beginning and cause it to wear to the point of failure.

so you are saying having a guide that low on the joint is not a problem? That is Ok? 

Im not a rod builder. That’s why I pay a rod builder. 

But it it is not rocket science buddy. It’s a stick. It cracked. Where it crack is weird right? This guy has a bad rep for sure. Is that a excuse? 

I don’t appreciate your tone. I know your a rod builder and sticking up for your side of the business. But if you didn’t have “stupid” customers wanting Bart Simpson on there handles or paying 450$ for a rod with a warranty you wouldn’t have any work huh?

49 mins ago, Tbird650 said:

limited

Believe me the last person I'm standing up for is Rich. I really dont' have any stupid customers, I choose who I build for. If someone starts telling me my guide spacing is off or blah blah, I dont' deal with them. Learn a lesson - if your'e gogin to spend a lot of money on anything custom, and you cant' even have a conversation with the person you are paying top dollar to, you have nobody to complain to when things go wrong.

All the stuff you posted....there's a pretty good chance since it's a 2 piece with the guide there that you use the guide to tighten/loosen the 2 pieces. There's a good chance that you damaged the blank and didn't know. Of course I'm the bad guy because I have a nasty tone, but the only difference is I smeared crap on your face with a scowl, and you did it with a smile.