Sevendust111

Surf fluking at the Bayshore tips

Rate this topic

15 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

My kid and I do a lot of LMB fishing. Our local retention pond honey holes have been inundated by highschoolers with nothing to do due to Corona. Towns are not up keeping these ponds this season plus all the rain lately has lead to big die offs too. So, I’m looking for other summer fishing opportunities. We’ve had a blast fishing for schoolies this season at the Bayshore and I want to continue to fish there targeting fluke. I have caught fluke but never targeted them. The Bayshore has its own unique challenges and I was hoping to get some tips on gear and especially rigs/bait, etc. Thanks guys.

Edited by Sevendust111

Gotta find the right structure for them. I look for current and drop offs to find fluke. I also wouldn't discount fishing out front for them. I did very well last season out front with sand fleas and gulp for them.

My first choice is always a bucktail or light jighead with gulp. Usually go with 5" jerk shads for these.

Another rig I tend to use just a dropper loop with one octopus hook with a bank sinker. I usually give this rig to anyone I take fishing as well as it is pretty easy for me to tie, don't care if I lose it, and it is easy to fish. Usually put a 4" swimming mullet on this rig.

3 or 4 ounce sinker dropped loop 12/16 inches above the weight gulp shrimp or pogy,not saying your going to get a keeper fluke but your to catch something while fishing out front.

The Bayshore will have fluke in the summer, as will the Oceanside.  For consistent action go with a light jighead, I use a 1/4 or 3/8 oz jighead.  About a foot or so above the jighead I’ll put a dropper loop with a 3-5/0 baitholder.  Pick up some 3-4” gulp swimming mullets, put on on the jighead and one on the teaser hook above.  Cast at anything that looks interesting, rocks, holes, points, current breaks, pilings, edges etc. Cast close to them, I’m not saying 6’ away, More like 6”. These things can be on open sand but love to hang very, very tight to structure.  Let it sink and slowly sweep the rod up with quick little taps, drop the tip and reel in the slack, rinse-repeat keeping the boats as close to the bottom as you can.  Fishing for fluke isn’t exactly like bass where you can expect to leave bait on the bottom and have a fluke swim up and eat it.  They’re mostly stationary and you’ll have to bring the bait to them.  Keep moving and casting, you’ll know if they’re there almost right away; the smaller ones will usually be piled up together.  Expect to catch mostly shorts with the occasional keeper mixed in.  

if you really need to be stationary, catch a snapper with a little snapper popper with a tube or tiny cast master.  Put it on a smile live bait hook cast out and wait.  Most of the time this is a little slower fishing but a fresh live bait can cull some bigger fish. 

12 hours ago, bbfish said:

The Bayshore will have fluke in the summer, as will the Oceanside.  For consistent action go with a light jighead, I use a 1/4 or 3/8 oz jighead.  About a foot or so above the jighead I’ll put a dropper loop with a 3-5/0 baitholder.  Pick up some 3-4” gulp swimming mullets, put on on the jighead and one on the teaser hook above.  Cast at anything that looks interesting, rocks, holes, points, current breaks, pilings, edges etc. Cast close to them, I’m not saying 6’ away, More like 6”. These things can be on open sand but love to hang very, very tight to structure.  Let it sink and slowly sweep the rod up with quick little taps, drop the tip and reel in the slack, rinse-repeat keeping the boats as close to the bottom as you can.  Fishing for fluke isn’t exactly like bass where you can expect to leave bait on the bottom and have a fluke swim up and eat it.  They’re mostly stationary and you’ll have to bring the bait to them.  Keep moving and casting, you’ll know if they’re there almost right away; the smaller ones will usually be piled up together.  Expect to catch mostly shorts with the occasional keeper mixed in.  

if you really need to be stationary, catch a snapper with a little snapper popper with a tube or tiny cast master.  Put it on a smile live bait hook cast out and wait.  Most of the time this is a little slower fishing but a fresh live bait can cull some bigger fish. 

I thought the retrieval was more of a side sweep or slow drag along the bottom.  Am I wrong?

39 mins ago, Sevendust111 said:

I thought the retrieval was more of a side sweep or slow drag along the bottom.  Am I wrong?

Everyone has there own preference on what works for them. There is no right or wrong. That being said you will see 99% of people bouncing it off the bottom.

1 hour ago, Sevendust111 said:

you definitely want it up above the bottom, but just a touch.

1 min ago, bbfish said:

you definitely want it up above the bottom, but just a touch.

So kinda like a slowed down version of fishing a buck tail for stripers? 

1 hour ago, Sevendust111 said:

So kinda like a slowed down version of fishing a buck tail for stripers? 

Honestly a straight retrieve can work just like bass fishing, I just like to really, really slow it down to keep it in front of their face as long as I can, almost constantly pulsing the rod tip.  That’s why using such a light weight jighead works well.  

You said you and your little guy have been freshwater fishing? Just use your bass gear, you don’t need a super long cast from a surf rod.  When I first started I used a st croix mojo bass rod rated to .5 oz and a 3000 sized shimano with 10 lb braid.  Easy setup to use, especially for a youngster.

6 hours ago, bbfish said:

Honestly a straight retrieve can work just like bass fishing, I just like to really, really slow it down to keep it in front of their face as long as I can, almost constantly pulsing the rod tip.  That’s why using such a light weight jighead works well.  

You said you and your little guy have been freshwater fishing? Just use your bass gear, you don’t need a super long cast from a surf rod.  When I first started I used a st croix mojo bass rod rated to .5 oz and a 3000 sized shimano with 10 lb braid.  Easy setup to use, especially for a youngster.

Thanks for the help man. I have an 8 foot Tica Surge paired with a Fierce 3 4000 I think I will use for fluking. The Fierce came with a 7 M XF rod that I am pairing with my old Plueger President XT 35 for him.

I was taught broader, and more pronounced bounces off the bottom from my old man. As the years have gone on, I have found better production with a quicker and lighter jigging on or just off the bottom. But it never hurts to change presentation.

11 hours ago, el_tsunami said:

I was taught broader, and more pronounced bounces off the bottom from my old man. As the years have gone on, I have found better production with a quicker and lighter jigging on or just off the bottom. But it never hurts to change presentation.

Alot of the time i dont think it matters much what kind of action you put into it so your father certainly wasn't wrong.  Sometimes they seem to react a little bit more to the fast jigging in my experience.