codfish

A friend recommended an electric bike for the beach, what say you?

Rate this topic

25 posts in this topic

I brought my mountain bike on the beach in Maine one year. I had a blast at low tide. I brought it back to the cottage and washed it down with soap and water thoroughly. I even put WD 40 on all the gears and chain. The next morning, the chain and sprockets were rusted. Still had sand in places I couldn't find the first time. I would probably use a dry lube the next time.

54 mins ago, steveo905 said:

I even put WD 40 on all the gears and chain. The next morning, the chain and sprockets were rusted. 

WD40 is your chain's worse enemy. It's not a lube, it just removes water..Water Displacement (formula) 40. You'll still need a dry lube to protect it. So after you hose it down with fresh water you can hit it with an air compressor or WD to get rid of the water, before using the lube to protect the moving parts. 

With that said... Salt air and water will wreak havoc on the battery terminals and contacts. Salt damage wot be covered by any warranty. 

You're better off getting a fat tire bike with a rear rack. Check out the Diamondback Oso. As far as rod holders I'd go with PVC pipes and and zipties. 

Edited by BeachBum818

1 hour ago, steveo905 said:

I brought my mountain bike on the beach in Maine one year. I had a blast at low tide. I brought it back to the cottage and washed it down with soap and water thoroughly. I even put WD 40 on all the gears and chain. The next morning, the chain and sprockets were rusted. Still had sand in places I couldn't find the first time. I would probably use a dry lube the next time.

Mine does that from after trail riding and a shower. (Not a beach ride but stored near the water >1mi) It’s the salt in the air, spraying parts with water that are warm accelerate faster. I’m going to experiment with salt x spray.

22 mins ago, Dan Tinman said:

You might want to spend some time watching YouTube video's on the subject.  Plenty of them.  There's a lot of ins and outs to e bikes.  Big price range too.

Thanks Dan love your jigs:):)

I seen a guy with a red one two years back on Long Island. He rode on the sand thing was cool. Very important keep dry and really clean if on sand with a brush no water. It might cost you more in long run but it’s a cool toy.