StriperC

What type of braid does everyone use

Rate this topic

41 posts in this topic

Green moss color regular power pro. Haven’t tried anything else so I can’t provide a comparison. You mentioned distance. In my opinion reducing the line lb test rating has a huge effect on distance assuming all other variables are the same such as rod,reel,lure weight. 

For plugging beaches and back bays I use 15lb. I started with 30 and hated the casting since I do cast some light lures. When down to 20 and it was a good improvement but still not happy. Went down to 15 and like it. I would say the smaller you go it seems the more easily you may get birds nests. I keep a close eye on how the line is starting on the reel to make sure there are no loops. 

For canal I just started to use 40lb but may try to go down sine I’m not completely satisfied with the casting. But most of the time I don’t need a long cast for what I’m doing. 

Its a balance. Casting,lure action, and ability not to break off a fish too easily. 

On my conventional surf reels I use Hercules.  It's cheap and it's really good.  As often as I have to re-spool because of snags and whatnot it's not worth it to me to buy expensive braid for my bait fishing.  I have been using it for years and have never had any issue that wasn't my fault.

For spinners I have been liking Fireline by Berkley.  I was getting wind knots like crazy on my 710's and 704's but once I switched to Fireline, no more wind knots... Not ONE...  Remarkable stuff for spinning reels...

For med-deep jigging: 832

For shallow-medium jigging soft plastics and metals and light plugs (Xrap 10, shadow rap, crystal minnow, mag darter):

fireline 10# tracer

j braid 8

I haven’t fished from shore for years, but these lines should be ok for that. They seem very castable for lob casts to targeting shorelines, underwater structures and other sidescan targets. 

One vote for the yo-zuri super braid, I think it's the best value for the money. I have had good luck with fireline/berkley pro spec when they go on sale

Do yourself a favor and look at @aquaholik's sticky thread about line strength. That gives you a good idea about which lines are even worth looking at.