Ocg_89

9’ Evolution vs 9’ SurfMachine

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

Wanting to buy one of these rods to pair with my vsx150, will be using it in the surf to throw 5/8oz LuckCraft flash minnows all the way up to 2.5oz tins and poppers, basically an all around surf rod. How do these handle the lighter end of the rating? Which blank is lighter and which casts further in general? pros and cons of each? I know i would have to have the Evolution custom built, how is the SurfMachine from the factory? How much does it weight? Thanks for your input, we dont have either of these in person to check out here on the west coast. 

Edited by Ocg_89

Just now, Ocg_89 said:

Wanting to buy one of these rods to pair with my vsx150, will be using it in the surf to throw 5/8oz LuckCraft flash minnows all the way up to 2.5oz tins and poppers, basically an all around surf rod. How do these handle the lighter end of the rating? Which blank is lighter and which casts further in general? Thanks for your input, we dont have either of these in person to check out here on the west coast. 

I am assuming you are talking about the Surf Machine Elite which is infused with graphene??!

1 min ago, Fishy4335 said:

I am assuming you are talking about the Surf Machine Elite which is infused with graphene??!

I dont believe they make a 9’ elite, i think they both have graphene now though, from what i have read on the blanks in general they are different blanks, with different components (elite have torzite guides, etc). So just the regular 9’ surfmachine 3/4-4

i'd go with ODM evolution, I like the rod but I can't buy a 1 piece 10ft blank when I tried it at Grumpy's. I don't know if you can abuse it like a the surf machines. It doesn't seem like a rod that you can abuse. It definitely has the high tech ultra lightweight surf rod feel to it. 

10 hours ago, Ocg_89 said:

Wanting to buy one of these rods to pair with my vsx150, will be using it in the surf to throw 5/8oz LuckCraft flash minnows all the way up to 2.5oz tins and poppers, basically an all around surf rod. How do these handle the lighter end of the rating? Which blank is lighter and which casts further in general? pros and cons of each? I know i would have to have the Evolution custom built, how is the SurfMachine from the factory? How much does it weight? Thanks for your input, we dont have either of these in person to check out here on the west coast. 

Ocg, where are you located?