Fadetoblack188

Saltist vs back bay Saltist

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

What’s up guys looking to grab a new spinner .  I am looking at the Daiwa Saltist and back bay Saltist in 4000.  What’s the difference between the two? 

looks like the back bay is 10 bucks cheaper and all black. And the Saltist is black and blue. 

If the back bay has enough line capacity for your application then 100% go for the back bay. It has a superior gear train and is super smooth. The regular Saltist (black and blue) is really just a Daiwa BG with magseal. The back bay model has the improved aluminum gear vs cast zinc. 

Edited by jk20a3

As jk said they really aren’t the same at except for the name. Check out scoobs vids on boobtube, he goes into GREAT detail I genuinely appreciate. IMO these reels would necessarily compete in the same arena, I don’t think I’d bring my back bay into any real surf with consistent splashing or dunking. However it’s been delightfully light and so smooth (and yes it’s gorgeous) for most of my lighter fishing with 7.5’ rod for fluke or bucktailing/jigs from shore. On the positive side I’m an idiot and dropped it in a saltwater bay and there was literally no sand in the thing, so maybe it is sealed better than I expect. I originally wanted a saltist but they are a little heavy for what I needed and overkill for non-surf fishing. Love this little SALTIST BB good luck! 

9 mins ago, Bdawk2020 said:

Regular  Saltist is heavier and larger for the size. Back bay sizing is in line with the LT series. A 4000 Saltist is 5 ounces heavier and  has more line capacity than a Back Bay 4000. 

The numbers don't match up.

Technically the back bay is lighter since it's the same reel minus the weight of a zinc gear.......

13 hours ago, Fadetoblack188 said:

What’s up guys looking to grab a new spinner .  I am looking at the Daiwa Saltist and back bay Saltist in 4000.  What’s the difference between the two? 

looks like the back bay is 10 bucks cheaper and all black. And the Saltist is black and blue. 

The  bacm bay is a magsealed bg with a gear upgrade.

Or a saltist with a ball bearing downgrade and gear upgrade.

4k black and blue saltist is 15 ounces....4k back bay is 10......

Daiwa F!@#'ed up with the numbering......4k bg and saltist is a good 30lb braid capacity surf size reel.   Not so much with the back bay.

Back bay is a very nice reel if you need a small saltwater reel.

Also look at the new  stradic.

I put the 4000 size back bay saltist on an 8' ML surf rod and it's a match made in heaven for lighter surf fishing. It would absolutely not be a reel I'd use out front for striped bass or in strong currents, but the regular 4000 saltist wouldn't be a bad choice for those scenarios.

I do wish reel companies would standardize their reel sizing a bit. You know it's bad when it's not even standard between reel models manufactured by the same company.

^^^ completely agree with everything mentioned here. I have a 4K Fuego and a 4K Back-bay and they aren’t even close on spool size. Drives me nuts, I feel like the 4K Backbay is really a 3k spool size.

Also never thought about the reels being identical except differences in main gear. @scoobydoo what’s the differnce in weight between the two main gears?? I take it from your implication that its majority of the weight difference?