Bdemiri23

Rating from most to least Important

Rate this topic

18 posts in this topic

How would you rate these if you had to choose in order from 1 most important to 5 least important.

Tide

Wind

Moon phase

Water temperature

Water clarity

I ask this question because after reviewing some years of log and most of them have been consistent for me.

1.Water temperature 

2.Moon phase 

3.Tide

4.Water clarity

5.Wind

Yes different locations need different conditions , I am just stating this generally . When I have 3 to 5 of these conditions line up it usually is a Successful outing.

Assuming we're not talking extremely early or extremely late in the season (June-October)

Tide

Moon Phase

Wind

Water Temperature

Water clarity

If it's early or late in the season the (April-May) (November-December)

Water Temp

Wind

Tide

Moon Phase 

Water Clarity

Edited by Sandbar1

That’s a great question and it’s making me think. While I don’t know if it would be my first, tide is very important regarding where you are fishing and how you will present your lures to fish. 

Most important factor is having the time to fish.

Tides, temperature, moon phase, etc. all mean absolutely nothing if you can’t break away to go fish.

That’s why  anglers need to learn to fish in all kinds of conditions; so they can be successful whenever they can get out.

I agree with time and trying all conditions. I am just stating something I realized looking at my own logs. I spent a lot of days listening to people speak at seminars and talk about what worked for them. I just wanted to share what works for me and possibly this will help anglers starting out in the sport.

55 mins ago, Bdemiri23 said:

I agree with time and trying all conditions. I am just stating something I realized looking at my own logs. I spent a lot of days listening to people speak at seminars and talk about what worked for them. I just wanted to share what works for me and possibly this will help anglers starting out in the sport.

I understand what you mean and if there’s one thing I’ve learned in almost 50 years of saltwater fishing it’s that nothing works 100% of the time.

Sure, we're all looking for repeatability in our success and there are things which I’ll try on most of my outings, but, I have yet to come up with anything which guarantees I’m catching fish every time.

You can talk to all the sharpies you want and get all of their opinions, if they’ll even give them to you, but putting your own time in on the water is what makes you into a good angler.

Yeah, another angler can tell you exactly which spot to go to and exactly what you need to throw and it may even work for you, but’s it’s not going to work every time and you have to develop your own set of fishing skills which are adaptable to changing situations and conditions. 
Seminars are great; you can get lots of good info at them.

Talking to pro anglers, guides, record holders, internet heroes, etc is also useful but there is no substitute for doing it yourself.

Always go fishing with a plan but be ready for the unexpected. 
Adapt and overcome.

Wind.  Then tide

I plan my trips based on wind more then anything.  Some spots fish better in certain wind conditions so if we have say a west wind i will go to a west wind spot.  If a new to me area i go to something that i thinks should fish well on that wind

Often the fish prove me incorrect

A lot of the factors can be interrelated.  Especially in and near inlets, tide--or, more precisely, current--will also determine water temperature, water clarity and, in many cases, the presence of bait.  So it's difficult to tease the factors apart.