coastalfreak

Uneven Line Lay on Lews Reel

Rate this topic

3 posts in this topic

Hello all, I have a vintage Lews BB-1NG that I recently spooled up so I could use it for sh*ts and giggles. After spooling it, I noticed that the line has a tendency to build up towards both sides of the spool, and it leaves a small valley in the middle. That being said, I bought this reel off of a friend and I haven't worked on it yet. Just by looking at it, it seems that the levelwind is a little sticky at the edges of its cycle. Should I just regrease the levelwind? Or could it be something else?  

That's a product of the  internal throw inside the reel and was common on older reels and even on some later models.   There's no way to mechanically correct that problem and the smaller diameter line you use amplifies the problem .You can build up the empty spool in the middle with tape or wind the spool on a drill and fill it evenly by hand . Once you get the line on even by hand  the hourglass line lay won't return from casting and retrieving .

6 hours ago, stripefromshore said:

That's a product of the  internal throw inside the reel and was common on older reels and even on some later models.   There's no way to mechanically correct that problem and the smaller diameter line you use amplifies the problem .You can build up the empty spool in the middle with tape or wind the spool on a drill and fill it evenly by hand . Once you get the line on even by hand  the hourglass line lay won't return from casting and retrieving .

Thank you, very helpful!