Birdsnester

Rod recommendation for 704Z

Rate this topic

19 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

So, I’ve been getting into these amazing Z series reels.  I have a 704z in really nice shape and would like to pair it with a rod in the 10’ to 12’ range for long range plugging with a lure rating of about 1 to 4 maybe 3/4 to 3.  I’d like something that has a vintage look with a more modern feel.  No sloppy, heavy fiberglass rods and  it has to fit the style of the reel.

any thoughts?

Edited by Birdsnester

1 hour ago, surfrat59 said:

you meant 9-12 ft yes...classic workhorse to match it, no glass...lami 1321mf8644f91_vbattach55355.jpg

I really do not like 9’ rods. They feel too small to me.

10 hours ago, surfrat59 said:

you meant 9-12 ft yes...classic workhorse to match it, no glass...lami 1321mf8644f91_vbattach55355.jpg

The one on the left was repainted?  Wasn't the style side plate Blue and Silver?  Either way they look great.  Do you find drilling them makes much of a difference?

10 hours ago, Sandbar1 said:

1201l or 1321M

Seems to be the consensus.  Why do you think the Lami 1321 is such a good match?  LOL they are pricey which is ok but wondering why they are such a good match for the reel.  I could just buy a blank for 200 and build it myself.  I really want the rod and reel to match well, look good and fish good.  

46 mins ago, Birdsnester said:

The one on the left was repainted?  Wasn't the style side plate Blue and Silver?  Either way they look great.  Do you find drilling them makes much of a difference?

Yes, blue green and silver, the white drag knob and handle tell the vintage. Drilling em just helps to rinse sand out if the spool locks up...a quick dunk and start grinding.

11 hours ago, Birdsnester said:

So, I’ve been getting into these amazing Z series reels.  I have a 704z in really nice shape and would like to pair it with a rod in the 19’ to 12’ range for long range plugging with a lure rating of about 1 to 4 maybe 3/4 to 3.  I’d like something that has a vintage look with a more modern feel.  No sloppy, heavy fiberglass rods and  it has to fit the style of the reel.

any thoughts?

Century S1 10' Stealth. Will throw 1/2 bucktail up to 4oz or 11' S2 Stealth, will throw 3/4 oz bucktail to 5oz.

Both are moderate in action, extremely light and sensitive.  Effortless to cast with big distance.  They don't beat you up so you can fish longer and not have soar shoulders or back. 

47 mins ago, AFMike said:

Century S1 10' Stealth. Will throw 1/2 bucktail up to 4oz or 11' S2 Stealth, will throw 3/4 oz bucktail to 5oz.

Both are moderate in action, extremely light and sensitive.  Effortless to cast with big distance.  They don't beat you up so you can fish longer and not have soar shoulders or back. 

Wow, 3/4 to 5, that's a pretty wide range.  Does it handle the lower range well?

51 mins ago, AFMike said:

Something just seems odd about putting a 30 dollar reel on a 500 dollar rod lol... 

For a 704 Z, I used to use one of the original St. Croix Premier surf 10 footers. To me, those reels always balanced, and felt better on a slightly heavier weight, slower action rod. I would look at the St. Croix Triumph in a size between 10-11 foot for that reel or something similar.

31 mins ago, Birdsnester said:

Wow, 3/4 to 5, that's a pretty wide range.  Does it handle the lower range well?

Yes, it throws 3/4 oz bucktail great. 5oz is its max and it doesn't love it but can be done. It's truly happiest up to 4oz. Nice thing about the Stealths is small fish are fun but it has lots of mid and butt section power for big fish.

6 mins ago, Bwt570 said:

I use my 704z on a 10' GSB and it's a joy.

That really seems to be the consensus.  That and Century.  Still tough to wrap my head around a 30 dollar reel on a 500 dollar rod though.  I do have a century slingshot that I use with my Saltx 6000.  Maybe I'll give that a try.  

On the GSB, I can buy a blank for about 200 so maybe I'll go that route.  I really want something that looks vintage but fishes modern.  So, I would imagine I might have to build it myself.  

Vintage look would be a yellow Fenwick or Lamiglass blank. I have two greenie 706 reels that the grand kids use for bait. I would say Greenies if you really want vintage. Just saying. They were $25.00 reels.