Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
foxfai

Bait shops that have been closing - a general discussion

Rate this topic

3 posts in this topic

Yesterday when my friend and I were riding back yesterday after fishing (we haven't seen each other for a long time), we were talking about the bait shops that we've been to and which one is still there or not. This came to some conversation about the old timers that runs the shop and how they get up early (4 or 5am) to open up, how they are ones that dedicated to us as fishermen to provide bait, reports, locations (where to go and how to get there).

As time goes by and they get older, they can't do the things they use to do and had to either close up shop, sell the business or even pass down to younger generation to have them run the business. Looking at this as a reality and it's very hard to do so now then before. 

I wanted to hear some of you that might know someone that owns a bait shop and probably had to retire or sell the business due to lack of business.

Bob Pond owned Green Harbor Bait and Tackle for years, great guy who really knew his stuff and was great with sharpies and newbies alike. Retired down the cape somewhere I think and seemed constant and happy to do so. He sold it to Scotty who made a go of it for 3-4 years who sold it to Elite Tackle out of Plymouth. I went in yesterday and the place looks great and selection very good. They told me the building is being torn down and they are moving into new construction right next door that’s a good deal larger. You are certainly right, it’s a tough business, I feel lucky to have a shop I like so close. 

12 hours ago, zenman said:

Bob Pond owned Green Harbor Bait and Tackle for years, great guy who really knew his stuff and was great with sharpies and newbies alike. Retired down the cape somewhere I think and seemed constant and happy to do so. He sold it to Scotty who made a go of it for 3-4 years who sold it to Elite Tackle out of Plymouth. I went in yesterday and the place looks great and selection very good. They told me the building is being torn down and they are moving into new construction right next door that’s a good deal larger. You are certainly right, it’s a tough business, I feel lucky to have a shop I like so close. 

Bob Pronk is a great guy, he moved to Westport. I think he’s working or trying to work in Westport bait and tackle.  When I was a kid I used to work there making sea worm boxes. Scotty’s a good guy, same as Jeff. I’m excited to see what elite tackle brings us this season. Love living next door 

Edited by bassturds