Rangler

Where to throw plugs in the bay? *No spot burn*

Rate this topic

19 posts in this topic

You're welcome!

BTW, do you know Shawn Kimbro? If not, he's a well known fishing guy who lives in MD. He's not a native, but is a real fine angler and gentleman, has a blog & has written some books on fishing. 

Check out his blog. He posts some excellent fishing information for MD and other places. 

There's a Fishing Maryland group on Facebook too if you use FB. Folks there won't spot burn either, and some of them, well, they're not real social, but you can sometimes glean a bit of information from what folks there post. 

If it gets real tough finding some fishing spots, send me a private message & I'll see if I can help you out. I've been gone from MD for 5 years, but still know plenty of places that I used to go to and fish.

A future reference for those who are searching for spots in the bay. (Thanks @Jim H)

1. Find public water access spots. Also, check on county parks on their website - Dorchester has a good one.

https://maryland.maps.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=434ab9c6980c4ea2a45f55ca6dcefc8a

2. Compare the chart to find the depth you want

https://www.charts.noaa.gov/PDFs/12284.pdf

https://charts.noaa.gov/PDFs/12264.pdf

https://www.charts.noaa.gov/PDFs/12233.pdf

3. Using Google Maps - Satellite to find nearby shores around the spot.

A future reference for those who search for spots in the bay.

When I owned boats living in MD, I fished all over the Chessie. I always had a center console boat, Now I don't. Now I went back to surf fishing 10 years ago, I go to MD A.I., DSSP,  Indian river inlet, O.C.inlet.Fenwick island, A.I. VA. Never in MD. To much private property, I don't care for fresh water fishing, unless it's ff for trout or bass.

3 hours ago, hunter123 said:

When I owned boats living in MD, I fished all over the Chessie. I always had a center console boat, Now I don't. Now I went back to surf fishing 10 years ago, I go to MD A.I., DSSP,  Indian river inlet, O.C.inlet.Fenwick island, A.I. VA. Never in MD. To much private property, I don't care for fresh water fishing, unless it's ff for trout or bass.

Frank, I've only owned small boats, 16' jon and a Gheenoe, so that limited where I would go, and much of the time it was in the rivers, rather than the bay. But, I fished with friends often enough who had larger craft & enjoyed getting on the bay. Our family went with a charter for several years, out of Chesapeake Beach so most fishing I did in the main stem of the bay was from there & north. 

Like you I did travel some to the coast and fished those same areas that you mentioned and up in DE at Henlopen Park in Lewes. It was mostly fishing with baits, not a lot of lures, although I did give fly tackle a try while in those areas. Some places simply are not the best for tossing lures, either because of the lay of the land, or the numbers of people. It not that it can't be done, just isn't always practical. The majority of surf fishing I've done too was when I was younger, as I mentioned previous, we vacationed in OC then. In later years, we spent more time in SC on the coast, and I did more fishing in the backwaters rather than on the beaches. 

MD has a lot of diverse fishing, and I too used fly tackle a lot when fishing freshwater, but did so often enough in the tidal rivers & creeks for LM bass, the panfish species and Striped Bass. There was one small creek I particularly enjoyed fishing off the Honga River, as it was only accessible by boat, and I seldom saw other anglers. It was "saltwater", with salinity content too high for the freshwater species and depending on time of year, a variety of saltwater fish might be present. I took my fly tackle there too.

I did some trout fishing, have fished most of the better known streams from Hagerstown & east, and some lesser known. As much as I can get into fly fishing for the trout, with the population in MD, so can a lot of other people, and that kept me away from some of it. I spent more time on trout streams in late summer, fall & winter, when most others were doing other things. 

I certainly spent more time chasing the brackish water LM bass than any other type of fishing except perhaps the panfish, which were also present in the same waters as the bass. There were a few freshwater streams that I frequented, because of the SM populations. They've always been my favorite freshwater  fish species.