Rangler

Where to throw plugs in the bay? *No spot burn*

Rate this topic

19 posts in this topic

Not asking for your 'sacred' spots, want to know some public access spots that I can throw plugs.

I scouted on google map and went to check them out.. Guess what? they were ALL private properties

I have been socking baits off the piers; metapeake, point lookout and Solomons and want to try something new

I bought a bunch of stuff for surfcasting over the month.. they are sitting lol

call an make sure these places are open.just saw on news a minute ago,north beach pier is closed.i will be out tommorow scouting places out before i take my boat out.i will keep you posted

I'll just repeat what I said in another thread ...

. . . MD is more of a bait'n'wait state specially in bay and tidal waters ... even AI or OC for that matter, with its miles of shoreline barely anyone "chases" fish using plugs/lure . . . closer to Annapolis (or HoCo in your case), if plugging your best choices would be state parks having access to sand/shore and/or jetty . . . 

. . . I'd definitely stay away from "fishing piers" if I'll be plugging . . .

On 5/22/2020 at 7:04 PM, Rangler said:

2 hours from Howard county. OC is about 3 hours drive for me.

I make that drive to the beaches about once a week, I feel like you’ll get a lot more action out there. I’m still trying to find spots in the bay to plug myself but it takes too much time to just scout.

I am sure just getting to the water is hard as most good spots are private property. I often forget that as I always fish from a boat. Now with parks closed that much harder. I need to go try some plugs around OC. God speed in your search and fishing.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Guys, I hate to interrupt but how about a little respect for the guys who worked their asses off to figure out this area the hard way? Not the OP, but some of you are getting a little too blunt about specifics lmao

Edited by ASrod

just do some browsing man. i used to live in columbia and i found places. all you gotta do is put in the effort. google earth becomes your best friend here in maryland as well as the reports are worth checking out but expect 50 people there by the next day

10 mins ago, kombi_rs said:

just do some browsing man. i used to live in columbia and i found places. all you gotta do is put in the effort. google earth becomes your best friend here in maryland as well as the reports are worth checking out but expect 50 people there by the next day

Trust me. Google Maps was my best friend during quarantine time. I am starting to realize that MD isn't really a good state for surfcasting.

. . . i told you so :howdy: . . .

... and you can say that again ... and again ...

... and again ...

... and again ...

... and again ...

... and again ...

... and again ...

... and again ...

I realize, that MD still has some closures & restrictions, but they also have a map on the DNR website, that shows various things like parks, and boat ramps and other public access points. That map can be invaluable in scouting out potential fishing areas as many places with boat ramps, also have shore fishing access.

It will never be a given, that even with access, you're going to be catching anything, but at least it gives you information for potential. 

When I lived in MD, and I did so for 59 years, the majority of fishing that I did was on the eastern shore, from a boat or from shore and I particularly liked places in Dorchester County. I knew people down there too so that helped. 

If you want to catch fish in MD, you need to be a multi'species angler and fish all types of water with different types of gear. 

If you want to "surf" fish, unless you go to the coast, you're going to sit a lot & wait a lot. If you only want to toss plugs, you're going to be practicing your casting, a lot. I didn't live too far from Sandy Point. I went there as a kid, but rarely as an adult to fish. Plenty of folks fish there, but that's also why I didn't. So, I found other places, but I had to drive to them. 

You will be far ahead, with some type of watercraft, even if it's a belly boat or paddle board, but that too will limit you. Get a Kayak or canoe, something you can carry on a vehicle, and it opens a lot of opportunities, as long as you're willing to travel. I had both a Gheenoe & a jon boat, both on trailers. 

There's a lot of fishing potential in MD, but you can't be real picky and you will have to find it when it's the best time to be in any one place. 

Most places are not secrets. The fish movements are generally predictable, and you have to be where they're at, when they're biting. Pay attention to the tides for tidal water. 

There's a lot of folks in MD, looking for the same thing. Some know, and go, others don't. 

Otherwise, stay at home and ask questions about places on a fishing site & get very little in return. :dismay:

2 mins ago, Jim H said:

I realize, that MD still has some closures & restrictions, but they also have a map on the DNR website, that shows various things like parks, and boat ramps and other public access points. That map can be invaluable in scouting out potential fishing areas as many places with boat ramps, also have shore fishing access.

It will never be a given, that even with access, you're going to be catching anything, but at least it gives you information for potential. 

When I lived in MD, and I did so for 59 years, the majority of fishing that I did was on the eastern shore, from a boat or from shore and I particularly liked places in Dorchester County. I knew people down there too so that helped. 

If you want to catch fish in MD, you need to be a multi'species angler and fish all types of water with different types of gear. 

If you want to "surf" fish, unless you go to the coast, you're going to sit a lot & wait a lot. If you only want to toss plugs, you're going to be practicing your casting, a lot. I didn't live too far from Sandy Point. I went there as a kid, but rarely as an adult to fish. Plenty of folks fish there, but that's also why I didn't. So, I found other places, but I had to drive to them. 

You will be far ahead, with some type of watercraft, even if it's a belly boat or paddle board, but that too will limit you. Get a Kayak or canoe, something you can carry on a vehicle, and it opens a lot of opportunities, as long as you're willing to travel. I had both a Gheenoe & a jon boat, both on trailers. 

There's a lot of fishing potential in MD, but you can't be real picky and you will have to find it when it's the best time to be in any one place. 

Most places are not secrets. The fish movements are generally predictable, and you have to be where they're at, when they're biting. Pay attention to the tides for tidal water. 

There's a lot of folks in MD, looking for the same thing. Some know, and go, others don't. 

Otherwise, stay at home and ask questions about places on a fishing site & get very little in return. :dismay:

I think this pretty much answers all my questions. Also I agree with you on everything. Thanks!