Rockthebay1

Chesapeake learning

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

Hi all,

After chasing striped bass and false albacore on Cape Cod, I now find myself trying to learn these waters and figure out some “from shore” spots. Any resources and or leads to help would be welcome.  I prefer using wood plugs(I only have a few thousand lol) and or effective lures (loaded red fins etc.). Buck tailing too!

thanks and hoping to find someone with similar preferences in the Annapolis area.

coming from the cape would think salt water ... MD is more of a bait'n'wait state specially in bay and tidal waters ... even AI or OC for that matter, with its miles of shoreline barely anyone "chases" fish using plugs/lure . . . closer to Annapolis, plugging your best choices would be state parks having access to sand/shore and/or jetty . . .

Google earth and Bing Birds eye view will get you spots galore to explore.

A good depth chart for your area as well.  

I think you are gonna find a lot less "clean" water then the cape and a huge difference in bait.  Peanut bunker, shad and blue claws are prevalent forage up the chessie.  Much warmer water as well then on the cape.

Up the top of the chessie you are not gonna see the squid and sand eels like you saw on cape beaches.

Seasons are different as well with a spring bite that will start as early as late February but likely end by June.  

Hit some local tackle stores and see what goes on.

Not sure about Annapolis area but down the bay you will be hunting specs reds weaks and croaker.  Black drum and cobia after the large body (what is left of it anyway) of striped bass moves out and north.

Happy hunting and welcome to SOL

YOU OWE US A JOKE!

Posted (edited) · Report post

I am ISO spots in Annapolis area too. I am having trouble finding spots using Google earth since most stretch of AA county shores are either privately owned or community owned. Maybe you can try Sandy point and Thomas point park, but never seen any people plugging there.

Edited by Rangler

Look for feeder streams / rivers and fish after dark

Stealthy gets you in

Waders help you fish.

Clean up any trash you find and property owners like you better.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Besides the occasional live bunker or spot, I rarely fish bait for stripers on the Chesapeake. Look for structure like boulder fields, drop offs, rips and outflows during the day time, see what kind of structure you’re working with and go back at night. It’s not as different from the NE as everyone says. People just don’t plug enough here.

Last year I was doing really well with topwater, this year has been bombers, bottle darters and danny plugs. Yesterday being my first fish on topwater, so maybe a few days after the moon it’ll kick off.

Edited by ASrod

Glad someone posted this. I recently moved from Philly to DC for work. It's a bit of a drive to the Jersey shore to surfcast so now I am stuck trying to find some spots/fellow surfcasters around the bay. I've been scouting numerous places using depth charts and google earth. Might give sandy point a shot since its fairly close and seems to produce some fish for bait guys. 

Ryan

On 5/23/2020 at 3:32 PM, ryanodine said:

Glad someone posted this. I recently moved from Philly to DC for work. It's a bit of a drive to the Jersey shore to surfcast so now I am stuck trying to find some spots/fellow surfcasters around the bay. I've been scouting numerous places using depth charts and google earth. Might give sandy point a shot since its fairly close and seems to produce some fish for bait guys. 

Ryan

Welcome. I moved to MD from Philly 2 years ago :laugh: If you go to SPSP, go early. It’s usually packed.