mike hammer

Looking for a little help to pick a port/s

Rate this topic

5 posts in this topic

Well I've mostly fished out of NJ or all the way down at the tip of Virginia Eastern Shore. The Regulations in NJ are stupid so looking for some help in finding a few options and spots where I can put the boat in.  The boat is a 225 Edgewater express on a trailer till I commit to the right location. I've got numbers all along the coast so I'm not restricted to a certain port. OC Md is about a 3hr tow so from there North is what I'm thinking but if you have a spot south of there you'd recommend would love to hear about it. If you had a few ramp locations or people or shops to talk to I'd be appreciative. Looking to do mostly near shore stuff but on the right day can hit the canyons. Enjoy wreck fishing also and got those numbers, so I'm not looking for anyones spots.

edgewater.jpg

Heading south from OC MD... Seaside (Ocean) - Chincoteague VA, Wachapreague or Quinby VA, Whillis Wharf VA, or Oyster VA. Near inshore structure or wrecks, Seabass, Tog, Flounder, spring/fall Rockfish or Blues, and Flounder on the wrecks.

Bayside - Crisfield MD, Rockfish, Specs, bottom fishing for Spot, Blues, Croaker, Trout and such. Cape Charles or Kiptopeake VA, Drum, either black or Red drum (seasonal). Wise Point (just before Bay Bridge Tunnel) - Drum fishing, especially Reds in Spring and Fall around Fisherman Island, or run the CBBT area for Cobia, Flounder (bridge pillings and the tubes), Sheepshead, Tog., 

2 hours ago, JAL said:

I've fished a lot out of Cape Charles and Oyster, love that fishery but almost a 5 hr drive for me so a bit far for on a regular basis. Looking to be a bit farther north but I don't know the ramp locations, so looking for a little help on what is good and what I should avoid. 

OCMD I’m a little bias, 

lots of ramps.

from Fenwick (island water sports)to WOC .Commercial harbor.

bay fishing been great,

Edited by paul708

14 hours ago, JAL said:

Heading south from OC MD... Seaside (Ocean) - Chincoteague VA, Wachapreague or Quinby VA, Whillis Wharf VA, or Oyster VA. Near inshore structure or wrecks, Seabass, Tog, Flounder, spring/fall Rockfish or Blues, and Flounder on the wrecks.

Bayside - Crisfield MD, Rockfish, Specs, bottom fishing for Spot, Blues, Croaker, Trout and such. Cape Charles or Kiptopeake VA, Drum, either black or Red drum (seasonal). Wise Point (just before Bay Bridge Tunnel) - Drum fishing, especially Reds in Spring and Fall around Fisherman Island, or run the CBBT area for Cobia, Flounder (bridge pillings and the tubes), Sheepshead, Tog., 

This covers it well.  All good locations cape charles is a great spot for bay and ocean