JaseB

Bananas

Rate this topic

49 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

It says a lot that someone can grow, harvest, pay for packaging, package and ship an item to a different continent and sell it for $0.39 a pound retail. 

It's mind boggling when you think about all that goes into getting a banana on your grocery store shelf.  It tells you several things, how much land there is that's basically "free" in the world, the cost of labor in said countries and the global shipping rates. 

Edited by JaseB

2 mins ago, JaseB said:

It says a lot that someone can grow, harvest, pay for packaging, package and ship an item to a different continent and sell it for $0.39 a pound retail. 

It's mind boggling when you think about all that goes into getting a banana on your grocery store shelf.  It tells you several things, how much land there is that's basically "free" in the world, the cost of labor in said countries and the global shipping rates. 

They may be bananas but that's nuts...…… :D

3 mins ago, JaseB said:

I think the "free" land is partly from peoples displaced here. 

They don't even get put on the shopping list in my house, you just get bananas every time you go to the store.  My kid would eat 5 a day if you let him. 

Just now, Dave588 said:

I think the "free" land is partly from peoples displaced here. 

When I say free, I mean in the economic utility or oppurtinuty use.   The best thing they can think to do with the land is grow a fruit that they probably sell for $0.05 a pound to the distributor. 

"Pedro what do you want to with these 10,000 hectares here, grow a fruit which you can net $5,000 per year with or turn it into condos?" 

I got to work in some pretty funky places and sometimes the local cuisine was questionable.

After a bad bout of food poisoning, my first order of business when I traveled was to get a flat of bottled water and some bananas.

I could survive an awfully long time on those two things.

10 mins ago, JaseB said:

Guatemala and other shitholes

You're paying for shipping

Just now, makorider said:

Guatemala and other shitholes

You're paying for shipping

That's part of the point.   But even shipping from Gutemala is like a  nickle a pound of freight. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

Ecuador not Columbia

Did some internet research. 

Average banana plant produces about 30-40 lbs a year and you plant somewhere around 1000 trees per acre.

There is also a large market for banana leaves.

Edited by mwhitt80