PhillyHillBilly

Clear Coat Over Rusted Steel

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

I have some rusted raw steel planters on the deck that I want to clear coat.  I like the rusted look but I don't like how the rust bleeds onto the deck.  I've tried using the clear rattle can rustoleum clear coat and it didnt work for ****.  Any other suggestions of what I could use as a top coat over rusty steel to prevent the rust from bleeding all over the place?

You could try a clear epoxy. The type used in woodworking.  It might not bond to the rust, but should probably hold together better than paint. Put it on thick.

Posted (edited) · Report post

I clear coat rusty metal from time to time. Key is to wire brush lightly to get the scale off it first. Then blow the dust off with pressure.  Rattle cans work for me. Several coats.

None of my pieces are outside however. If you haven't tried my method already, it's worth a shot.  

Failing that, is there one of those under deck planter rubber thingys that would fit your planters? 

Edited by Ben Lippen

Thanks guys.  One of the planters is enormous so I doubt I could find a tray / mat for that one, but I may try lightly brushing off the scale and giving it another couple coats and seeing how it goes.  

I've also read a few recommendations for Penetrol so if I find that during the weekend errands I may try that.

Boiled Linseed Oil.  Apply with a rag.  Lightly recoat every so often.  The finish is full of luster and natural.  Be careful.  The rags could possibly spontaneously combust.  I have helped an artist friend for many years who works in old recycled steel.

If you have spray equipment. Consider Acrylaq, Its' a premixed exterior lacquer for metal, Sold by  Su*r F*n Chem.

Posted (edited) · Report post

On 5/22/2020 at 11:13 AM, Spazzoni said:

You could try a clear epoxy. The type used in woodworking.  It might not bond to the rust, but should probably hold together better than paint. Put it on thick.

Epoxy does not stand up to UV without a few coats of something over it

Edited by makorider

How about uv resin. After brushing you could brush or roll it on and then the sun

will cure it. It is used in outdoor settings all the time, like on surf boards and um lures.

It should look good.

I ended up using Penetrol, which seems a lot like linseed oil.  I don’t actually know if there is a difference or not. After light scrubbing w steel wool to get the heavy stuff off, I used a sprayer to liberally coat both inside and out.  It appears to have worked, no rust color rubbing off on the white rag test.  I like the look, we’ll see how long it holds up.  

Appreciate everyone’s ideas.