MAC03

VS or ZeeBaas

Rate this topic

34 posts in this topic

Both reels are great.

 

I prefer the drag and smoothness of the ZB. 

 

You can replace all the seals yourself in a ZB. It takes special tooling to replace the seal in the pinion assembly in the VS. The Van Staal service videos intentionally leave that part out. Also, the seal is hand reamed. Fortunately, there are several ways to make the tooling, and you can send your reel to Q at Rivers Ends. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I haven’t used VS, but I work my ZB very hard and love it. Their service is among the best I’ve ever had with any company of any kind. No complaints about them whatsoever.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I fished a Van Staal for a long time before making the switch this year to a ZB to give it a try. First, I love how easy it is to service a ZB, huge plus is my book. The drag is smoother, and I think it has a better look in my opinion. The biggest thing I noticed and why I wouldn't go back to a VS is my hands are on the smaller side and I used to have to reach to take the line off the roller on my VS150 which is weird considering it doesn't sit far away from the seat. With the ZB I don't have to reach it fits my hand way better. I think a staal has a leg up in ruggedness and reliability but it's probably so marginal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I own both but fish my Z’s more. I label myself a z-guy but own more VS. Finding someone to give up there ZeeBaas is like winning the lottery that alone should tell you something. Maintenance is the same price 50$ each for seals. With ZeeBaas at least you can customize your reel with the added cost for a colored one. My two cents is buy a ZeeBaas.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 mins ago, Clbay1971 said:

I own both but fish my Z’s more. I label myself a z-guy but own more VS. Finding someone to give up there ZeeBaas is like winning the lottery that alone should tell you something. Maintenance is the same price 50$ each for seals. With ZeeBaas at least you can customize your reel with the added cost for a colored one. My two cents is buy a ZeeBaas.

i heard ordering one can take forever to get! is that why most people buy used? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 mins ago, MAC03 said:

i heard ordering one can take forever to get! is that why most people buy used? 

Well, they are not mass produced in China. Independent machine shops in the North East are contracted to make specific parts. Those parts are shipped to CT where they are prepped for anodizing and lazed engraving. 

 

Then the parts are shippd back to ZB where they are hand built and then pressure tested. 

 

They are worth the wait in my opinion. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I owned both the VS 150...200...&  250...ZB's 22 & 25...sold all my VS and kept my Z's ...enough said...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 mins ago, ged said:

Well, they are not mass produced in China. Independent machine shops in the North East are contracted to make specific parts. Those parts are shipped to CT where they are prepped for anodizing and lazed engraving. 

 

Then the parts are shippd back to ZB where they are hand built and then pressure tested. 

 

They are worth the wait in my opinion. 

so how long is the wait do you think if you order one from the website? i’m a lefty so i feel like finding one used would be pretty hard 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The difference that make the difference can be made by just feelings them In your hands  on a reel seat in a store.

2 hours ago, MAC03 said:

Thanks everybody! it is such a hard choice and i see people with both Z and VS and no matter what people always say go with them which makes it hard to actually pick one! i guess a little more research wouldn’t hurt but i feel like regardless you are going to get a good water proof reel 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MAC03 said:

so how long is the wait do you think if you order one from the website? i’m a lefty so i feel like finding one used would be pretty hard 

When I was going to order one they called me back with a quote and how long it should take. Lenny then told me about some reels that they had on there website and I bought the uneven blk&blu that’s on the site.I can’t remember if their  # is on website but call and ask on the make time. I was going to order one but saw 1st. run VS300 for sale on the site so I picked that up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, DEM Parking Lot said:

I have a zb22 and it's VERY heavy compared to a vs150. 

 

ZB reels feel more solid (AR clutch in rotor as opposed in side plate), better drag and feels more smooth.

 

IMO,

VS100-150 > ZB20-22

VS200-250 < ZB25-27

 

.....  imo....

1st Gen Pen Torque > ZB-VS

I’m looking to buy a zb22 mainly for inshore. But will this reel hold up to a cobia from a pier?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

18 mins ago, MarineLife said:

I’m looking to buy a zb22 mainly for inshore. But will this reel hold up to a cobia from a pier?

I've personally never caught a cobia but people use their ZBs for canal stripers up here in the northeast so I have no doubt that it would hold up to your purpose.

Edited by DEM Parking Lot

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, DEM Parking Lot said:

This would be the perfect reel if the retrieve rate didn't compare to a herd of turtles stampeding through peanut butter....

You can improve that slightly by installing 712 gears 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, MAC03 said:

so how long is the wait do you think if you order one from the website? i’m a lefty so i feel like finding one used would be pretty hard 

I emailed the site a question, Zeebass called me next day, he pulls a tray for your parts and gets you online, calls back when he needs deposit, he said you can always back out, been waiting for 2 months, no word and no deposit yet. All he said is "a few months". I would order one now just to get the process rolling

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.