VS or ZeeBaas

Rate this topic

MAC03

Both reels are great.

I prefer the drag and smoothness of the ZB. 

You can replace all the seals yourself in a ZB. It takes special tooling to replace the seal in the pinion assembly in the VS. The Van Staal service videos intentionally leave that part out. Also, the seal is hand reamed. Fortunately, there are several ways to make the tooling, and you can send your reel to Q at Rivers Ends. 

I fished a Van Staal for a long time before making the switch this year to a ZB to give it a try. First, I love how easy it is to service a ZB, huge plus is my book. The drag is smoother, and I think it has a better look in my opinion. The biggest thing I noticed and why I wouldn't go back to a VS is my hands are on the smaller side and I used to have to reach to take the line off the roller on my VS150 which is weird considering it doesn't sit far away from the seat. With the ZB I don't have to reach it fits my hand way better. I think a staal has a leg up in ruggedness and reliability but it's probably so marginal.

I own both but fish my Z’s more. I label myself a z-guy but own more VS. Finding someone to give up there ZeeBaas is like winning the lottery that alone should tell you something. Maintenance is the same price 50$ each for seals. With ZeeBaas at least you can customize your reel with the added cost for a colored one. My two cents is buy a ZeeBaas.

34 mins ago, Clbay1971 said:

I own both but fish my Z’s more. I label myself a z-guy but own more VS. Finding someone to give up there ZeeBaas is like winning the lottery that alone should tell you something. Maintenance is the same price 50$ each for seals. With ZeeBaas at least you can customize your reel with the added cost for a colored one. My two cents is buy a ZeeBaas.

i heard ordering one can take forever to get! is that why most people buy used? 

2 mins ago, MAC03 said:

i heard ordering one can take forever to get! is that why most people buy used? 

Well, they are not mass produced in China. Independent machine shops in the North East are contracted to make specific parts. Those parts are shipped to CT where they are prepped for anodizing and lazed engraving. 

Then the parts are shippd back to ZB where they are hand built and then pressure tested. 

They are worth the wait in my opinion. 

8 mins ago, ged said:

Well, they are not mass produced in China. Independent machine shops in the North East are contracted to make specific parts. Those parts are shipped to CT where they are prepped for anodizing and lazed engraving. 

Then the parts are shippd back to ZB where they are hand built and then pressure tested. 

They are worth the wait in my opinion. 

so how long is the wait do you think if you order one from the website? i’m a lefty so i feel like finding one used would be pretty hard 

The difference that make the difference can be made by just feelings them In your hands  on a reel seat in a store.

2 hours ago, MAC03 said:

Thanks everybody! it is such a hard choice and i see people with both Z and VS and no matter what people always say go with them which makes it hard to actually pick one! i guess a little more research wouldn’t hurt but i feel like regardless you are going to get a good water proof reel 

1 hour ago, MAC03 said:

so how long is the wait do you think if you order one from the website? i’m a lefty so i feel like finding one used would be pretty hard 

When I was going to order one they called me back with a quote and how long it should take. Lenny then told me about some reels that they had on there website and I bought the uneven blk&blu that’s on the site.I can’t remember if their  # is on website but call and ask on the make time. I was going to order one but saw 1st. run VS300 for sale on the site so I picked that up.

5 hours ago, DEM Parking Lot said:

I have a zb22 and it's VERY heavy compared to a vs150. 

ZB reels feel more solid (AR clutch in rotor as opposed in side plate), better drag and feels more smooth.

IMO,

VS100-150 > ZB20-22

VS200-250 < ZB25-27

.....  imo....

1st Gen Pen Torque > ZB-VS

I’m looking to buy a zb22 mainly for inshore. But will this reel hold up to a cobia from a pier?

18 mins ago, MarineLife said:

I’m looking to buy a zb22 mainly for inshore. But will this reel hold up to a cobia from a pier?

I've personally never caught a cobia but people use their ZBs for canal stripers up here in the northeast so I have no doubt that it would hold up to your purpose.

Edited by DEM Parking Lot

4 hours ago, MAC03 said:

I emailed the site a question, Zeebass called me next day, he pulls a tray for your parts and gets you online, calls back when he needs deposit, he said you can always back out, been waiting for 2 months, no word and no deposit yet. All he said is "a few months". I would order one now just to get the process rolling