MAC03

VS or ZeeBaas

Rate this topic

34 posts in this topic

In the same position a few months back, I was tired of having reel problems and was ready to upgrade to a bulletproof reel and entered your question. I've spoke to a number of people. They are both great reels, zee bass has kind of a colt following. Then you enter there US made vs china made. Then you get into the availability, it is much easier to buy a new/used vanstaal than it is to acquire a zee bass. I'm currently waiting on my zee bass been close to 3 months yet, when I could have grabbed a nice VS off here for  $550. It's up to you, your feelings, customer service, convertibility. Regardless your call at the end of the day. You want a bulletproof reel now or soon grab a VS you want to wait get a zee bass. 

ZeeBaas are the way to in the long run like AudAtkins said,  not only are they bulletproof fishing reels but you will find just a couple of hardworking guys who keep the ZeeBaas name still alive.  Ron at ZeeBaas will take care of ANY of your problems.  ZeeBaas are also suited to you so wether you want a power knob, round knob, short curved handle, long straight handle, bailless or bailed they have got you covered for whatever you could imagine.

One of the hardest fishing dudes in the sport (Bill Wetzel) claims that nothing holds up like a Van Staal. I own two and love them both. Never fished a ZeeBaas but everyone who owns one loves theirs.

4 hours ago, AudAtkins said:

In the same position a few months back, I was tired of having reel problems and was ready to upgrade to a bulletproof reel and entered your question. I've spoke to a number of people. They are both great reels, zee bass has kind of a colt following. Then you enter there US made vs china made. Then you get into the availability, it is much easier to buy a new/used vanstaal than it is to acquire a zee bass. I'm currently waiting on my zee bass been close to 3 months yet, when I could have grabbed a nice VS off here for  $550. It's up to you, your feelings, customer service, convertibility. Regardless your call at the end of the day. You want a bulletproof reel now or soon grab a VS you want to wait get a zee bass. 

That’s about what the difference is. Everything else is personal preference. Both are expensive. Both are sealed. Both can fail.

one has many service reps, other is more self serviceable. Lots of thread like this. All will end the same.

Try the search function, been asked 1000x. Mercedes or BMW, St. Croix or Lamiglass, Aquaskinz or Kokatat, apples or oranges. Had them all, who can say which has a clear advantage or why?

Posted (edited) · Report post

I have a zb22 and it's VERY heavy compared to a vs150. 

ZB reels feel more solid (AR clutch in rotor as opposed in side plate), better drag and feels more smooth.

IMO,

VS100-150 > ZB20-22

VS200-250 < ZB25-27

.....  imo....

1st Gen Pen Torque > ZB-VS

Edited by DEM Parking Lot

You could always spend $30 and get a 710Z or spend $60 and you'll have a spare.  Talk about bulletproof...  There's only about 30 parts in the entire reel lol

6 mins ago, Birdsnester said:

You could always spend $30 and get a 710Z or spend $60 and you'll have a spare.  Talk about bulletproof...  There's only about 30 parts in the entire reel lol

This would be the perfect reel if the retrieve rate didn't compare to a herd of turtles stampeding through peanut butter....

Biggest difference imo is servicing these reels. I have both these reels and the Z gets serviced by Z. VS goes into an authorized service store. I prefer having it serviced by the ones who built the reel. Vs does feel tighter but Z reels smoother. If you plan on your reel getting wet than these are great reels. They are as durable as reels come but keep in mind that servicing them can be expensive and doing it yourself is tricky. 

13 mins ago, DEM Parking Lot said:

This would be the perfect reel if the retrieve rate didn't compare to a herd of turtles stampeding through peanut butter....

LOL that's very funny...  And pretty true...  

I've had both and the VS is an easier reel to get fixed.  ZB is smoother but I have had nothing but horrible service from the company so I traded it for a Stella.  As stated, they both will fail and they are both pricey to fix.  With that being said, would rather a couple day turn around with VS for repairs or possibly months with ZB.

I have both American and China vs's... the china models are smoother than my American vs. 

My buddy has a few zee's. He has issues with the line roller on both but loves and swears by them.

Both are awesome, hard to go wrong 

Thanks everybody! it is such a hard choice and i see people with both Z and VS and no matter what people always say go with them which makes it hard to actually pick one! i guess a little more research wouldn’t hurt but i feel like regardless you are going to get a good water proof reel