canaltime32

Truck Cap Rod Storage

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

Above the side windows I have two ratcheting cargo bars. I used  zip ties to secure a nylon strap style rod holder to the bar. Just do not extend them too far, you may break the seal around the window. I use this to transport rods to my destination, and secure spare rods out of the way. I also have two more ratcheting cargo bars covered with foam pipe insulation. These I put just under the bed rail. I use this when I need to break the rod down, but may need quick access. (like going into a restaurant, store, or at the motel.)

21 mins ago, steveo905 said:

Above the side windows I have two ratcheting cargo bars. I used  zip ties to secure a nylon strap style rod holder to the bar. Just do not extend them too far, you may break the seal around the window. I use this to transport rods to my destination, and secure spare rods out of the way. I also have two more ratcheting cargo bars covered with foam pipe insulation. These I put just under the bed rail. I use this when I need to break the rod down, but may need quick access. (like going into a restaurant, store, or at the motel.)

Not a bad idea- thanks for sharing !

Posted (edited) · Report post

I needed to get the rods off the floor and up onto the ceiling of the cab so that I could camp/sleep in the bed of the truck when travelling.

I simply used to ropes that extended from the left side to the right side of the cap. One rope in the front and one in the back with just a little bit of slack to force the rods to the middle so they went through my sliding glass window. I cut a pool noodle (hollowed out kind) into 1" widths to partition the rods safely. 

Edited by DragonsLax48

Here are some pics. Don’t mind the mess. That was my ford ranger and it felt a bit cozy in there at times. I’m looking forward to camping in my taco these days. 

you can see the rod “holder” being utilized. Less slack would have been better.B83A4D02-D8C2-41D4-AD8C-3800793E035C.jpeg.2f5c0feec661ae2e9afe55cd7f1d1ac2.jpeg4A9B9F44-ED32-4BEA-AAF5-04DD58DB37F7.jpeg.7f74d685c723a22d4acae984ffcff274.jpeg

I've got a 6-1/2' bed & have a couple of 7' kayak rods stashed diagonally on the ceiling,

I mounted an alum "L" inside from the rear window hinge bolts & have 1/4" dia bungee matl with the orange pull tabs holding the rods to the "L" ..... makes it easy to load & unload rods quickly & they're secure at all times, front holder is staggered to accommodate multiple rods criss-crossing each other..... just throwing that out there for ideas.....

Surf stick(s) rides on the roof but goes in the truck & passed thru cab's  & cap's sliding windows when I'm not near the truck......

FWIW; I've had other d.i.y. set ups & have found that if the rods aren't securely held in place in what ever you're using, they bounce & sway all over the place even from normal street driving & its even worse when beach driving....

Regards...

5ec834203ae2e_RODRACK.jpg.e2ab0fbda032f2c5ebe45e57e89b47e4.jpg

Here is my Tacoma.  9 10 and 11 foot lamis.   Resting on some shellfish bushels because I’ve been doing a lot of clamming recently but usually just rest them on a big storage bin filled with wetsuits and waders....   inside the cap is the way to go.  Super stealth.  I don’t want anyone to know I’m a fisherman 

D1795F26-F92A-4F44-A4F2-EF96B10981F0.jpeg

I used the screws in the side windows to add a cloth strap rod holder from side to side has a " pocket for each rod " and I just break the rods down due to a 5ft tacoma bed . Sorry no pics

Pics below. All wood was leftover from other projects. The brackets were from a boat being salvaged. The difficult part was a lot of measuring and getting the angles correct for the rear bracket which is held together with screws. There are two pieces to this. The front bracket fits in the sliding windows. I added the felt to the front bracket to prevent scaring the rods. The aluminum on the front brackets is different heights allowing easy install and removal as needed. The rear bracket is held in place with clamps.  I do wind a bungee cord around the rod buts while underway to prevent the rods from coming out of the holders.  The clips on either end of the rear bracket are for the bungee cord or to attach a tarp if I need a cover for an extended shade.

rear cab hanger.jpg

rear hanger 2.jpg

sideview 2.jpg

window bracket 2.jpg