BarryW

South Side Report- No Parking?

Rate this topic

40 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Tailslap said:

Let’s take the bad behavior out of the equation for a moment. Years  ago when I might park in a resident only spot I might be the only non resident out of 10 available spots. This was not an issue with the residents as it did not really effect them. This is one of the main reasons we didn’t talk much about where we fished. Those spots just couldn’t take a lot of outsiders going there because of very limited parking. Then internet reports come along and tell thousands of new people where some of these limited parking areas are. Now all 10 residents only spots are taken by non residents and not only that some even park up the street out of bounds. At this point the residents want us gone and I don’t blame them. The bad behavior just amplified the situation and gives the homeowners ammo. This situation with lose of access will only get worse. Sorry but this is the truth.......

It is ABSOLUTELY the truth and for some reason people just refuse to believe it. And there’s definitely a correlation between this somewhat recent phenomenon called social media and the current mentality of many anglers pushing the boundaries of what can and can’t be done. It’s just a fundamental lack of respect and the human condition of ego, which social media almost propagates.

*General rule: Treat every spot like It’s private property, that can be taken away from you at any moment.

Edited by rbart

On 5/22/2020 at 3:31 PM, z-man said:

Good luck with that. If you owned water front property would you want these disrespectful idiots parking and hanging out near you?

Part of the deal owning water front. Too bad. Get over it or buy land inland. 

Bazel- I was talking about the state of Oregon, as opposed to a direct spot burn. I understand the confusion but the entire state of Oregon does not allow private beach ownership. I agree private roads should be subject to a separate standard based on owner permission.  However the main issue to me is the state's obligation to allow public access to the ocean and the need to take it seriously and invest in it. That may include working with private landowners to partner in those efforts.

On 5/22/2020 at 0:47 PM, SwimBait said:

Starting this Friday May 15, the No Parking Tow Zones will be enforced on Vineyard and Bailey roads in Cotuit. These are private dirt roads where many fishermen park to walk to the jetties at the mouth of Popponesset Bay or to the salt marsh at the tip of Meadow Point.

There is a common misperception that there is a public Town Way to Water here. That is not the case. The Town of Barnstable owns Oregon Beach, where public parking is allowed with a beach sticker. The Barnstable Land Trust owns 28 acres at the southern tip of Meadow Point and has two parking spaces on its property for people wanting access. All the land on the dirt roads past the gate at the southern end of Main St is private property.

As homeowners we’ve come to this point because of the increase of vehicular traffic, which wears down our road, requiring more frequent repairs, which we pay for ourselves; because of the lack of respect for private property as people leave trash ranging from the ugly to the disgusting on our lawns, driveways, and by the side of the road; and by the increasing number of ‘parking spaces’ created when cars & trucks drive into our woods and carve out a space where there was none before.

Since March 28 we have documented 123 unique incidents of cars parking on private property despite, and sometimes in front of, No Parking signs. We’ve left notices on windshields asking them not to park there and kept track of their plates. Of these, ten have come twice, four have come four times, and one person has parked here four times.

After consulting with the Barnstable Police, we’ve contracted with a tow company and will begin towing on Friday, May 15.

We don’t want to tow anyone’s car. But we will if we have to. We ask people not to park here. They will be towed.

so do you live on Bailey road or vinyard?   I never bothered going down there , use to a very long time ago, did a ton of work there though. I have another place I was invited to park ocean front just the other week off main st before the bend,  I never do though, alot of nice people live in fron t of oregon but seems like homes are changing hands  lot of no this or that.

what really destroyed that place was on the waterer whoring out the spot to make money,   I have never seen people from lets say choice areas there before, over flowed parking and trash.

honestly If I owned waterfront property I wouldnt want your ass parked in front of my house but Id watch you fish :D and then boot you off my spot LOL.  where all the same...........

3 hours ago, Kones1 said:

Part of the deal owning water front. Too bad. Get over it or buy land inland. 

What if the same idiots start trashing your inland property? No one has the right to destroy other people’s property anywhere?

There is a difference. No one owns the ocean and access is an ancient right. Land away from the ocean doesn’t block access to the ocean. The wealthy would like to monopolize access to the ocean, effectively shutting out every other user. Having lived away from the ocean, the only other geographical feature that comes close are mountains, most of which are (rightly) in parks. 

Those who who rant about property rights of largely absentee land owners are effectively supporting shutting access. I cannot put it more politely than that. It truly is the few (way less than 1% of property owners) versus the many. A substantial number of the people trying to limit beachfront access own 3-5 houses. Their goal is complete and total exclusion. Fortunately, their intentions are the sort that look horrible in daylight, so when exposed to newspapers or courts tend to fair poorly.

I would rather not divulge exactly how I have come to have that information as it would reveal too much on a public forum. However, If you think I am full of crap to do one of two things: either attend many local zoning or planning board meetings, or go request the records of them. As I stated in all of these posts, the divide is income and ownership of beachfront land. It cuts through political beliefs, community ties, etc.

There are plenty of homes for sale on the cape 2-3 lots back from the ocean for those who do not wish to worry about the peons being visible.

Again, those who do damage should be dealt with individually. When I lived in South Boston someone broke a car window while drunk on my street. Did  that imply that all the bars be shut, and the purchase of liquor by residents banned? 

Fishing is an interesting obsession because we rely on the ability to get to the water, whether by foot or boat. Water is an "asset", whether water rights for agriculture or view shed. As our country continues to evolve into an oligarchic model, where we tolerant extreme wealth, the kind of wealth none of us on this forum have much practical knowledge of (of course I generalize), then the common man needs to be ever more conscious of the use of "property rights" as an excuse to prevent you from enjoying your defining pastime.  I was a practicing attorney for twenty years, including real estate litigation involving boundary disputes, often involving five feet either way on a water body. I know a few things regarding the "preciousness" of real property to people. Interesting that the First People never understood the concept of private property or land ownership. They recognized the transitory nature of life and that "ownership" was really an awareness of how to provide for future generations by sharing information and protecting the natural world, not slopping more food into an already full stomach and placing barbed wire up.  

Careful about your esteem for private property rights. Are they important? Yes, but not when they impact a larger public interest.  That's why the state can constitutionally "take" your property via Eminent Domain theories. Are you really willing to stop fishing because no access is granted by the state? What does it take to push back to promote a higher value?

Posted (edited) · Report post

This is not just about the wealthy trying to keep everyone away from the ocean. There were never enough parking spots for everyone and now the locals are being shut out of their own town spots by out of towners. You may have noticed there are not a ton of public parking spots near the ocean on the Cape. So we used to share with the locals. And that worked until way too many people showed up to park. Not enough room for everyone. Again sorry but true. The wealthy homeowners were never crazy about sharing in the first place but tolerated it in the past because it didn’t really effect them. Since internet reports that all changed. The bad behavior just helps them tighten or enforce already existing parking restrictions. Which they have all the right to do. Some of you just don’t want to hear it as if this whole parking situation will turn around and go back the way it used to be.  Not going to happen. And no I am not a homeowner on the beach I have just being out there 40 years observing. 

Edited by Tailslap