BarryW

South Side Report- No Parking?

Rate this topic

40 posts in this topic

52 mins ago, z-man said:

Good luck with that. If you owned water front property would you want these disrespectful idiots parking and hanging out near you?

Didn’t say it was ever going to happen. We are just going to get screwed more and more. As far as if I owned waterfront property; I would be smart enough to know that privacy may not come along with it. If you want privacy Spend your millions elsewhere. Buy 1000 acres with a private lake in the woods; don’t buy a house that is eventually going to fall into the ocean and demand that nobody walk along it in “your view” on shorelines the public should have every right to visit. As far as the trash that is very unfortunate. People suck and the fines should be much larger and enforced for those caught leaving garbage anywhere. The trash is not limited to the poor unfortunate beach front property owners though. Every where you drive take a look at the side of the road; scumbags toss garbage out their windows; dump it on the Side of the road at night; the list is endless. 

The day internet reports started showIng every scumbag out there where the fish where the problems of access began. Now you just see where it will end up.  With little to no access because the scumbags messed it up. We should have just passed on fishing info the old tried and true way. Person to person. It is basically over for shore access folks. Find a new hobby..........or buy a boat. 

I think this shore access issue transcends state residency, frankly. We all pay taxes and saltwater license fees. We need to have dedicated public parking, which contributes to the local economy just as definitely as the locals do. I don't begrudge anyone who wants to fish based on their driver's license, if they follow the rules and behave appropriately.

Oregon has public beaches. No private ownership. Public parking lots spaced along the entire coastal route. They have it right.

We have antiquated concepts of beachfront rights, notwithstanding the colonial ordinances. Property owners don't even understand you have a right to fish on their tidal lands as long as you accessed them from a public point. I agree private roads are a different issue. But people who want to fish should have access to the coast at regular intervals.

The pigs should be policed, of course. But they should not be allowed to represent the vast majority of fishermen who treat access with respect. They are being used as an excuse to curtail our rights. You want to accept being defined by the bad apples? That's ridiculous. We all should push back on that concept.  Enforcement seems to be an age old issue here but  we all need to do our part. Call out people you see. Pick up trash. Thank people for the right to enjoy the sport you love. Share your knowledge. These are the values that should be allowed to prevail.

I agree; using the scummy people as an excuse to further restrict rights to the shoreline is really absurd. People

are out every night doing drugs; drinking and driving... etc. Using the same logic everybody is a risk and should not be allowed out after sundown. 

Since the number of people parking/fishing has increased by a huge amount due to the internet the number of people who have no respect has increased by a huge amount. So what used to be an isolated incident in the past is now a daily occurrence when we are talking about people parking where they are not supposed to, being too loud, littering, shitting on the beach etc. Nothing absurd about noticing the change over many years.

I have been out there a long time and the amount of disrespectful scumbags out there now is through the roof. The balance we used to have when sharing space with the local homeowners has been broken. Even though I am sad about losing access I can’t blame the home owners at this point. Shore fishermen have destroyed their own access with so much bad behavior. I feel sorry for the young guys who will never be able to experience the type of access freedom i grew up with. But those were different times with frankly different people. 

Edited by Tailslap

Oregon is a town way to water, not a public beach.  News flash you can’t park on private roads. This has been coming for years because of the abuse.  Every year there are multiple articles about said beach, Some written by members here.

This isn't a comment about the specific case of this private road, but more in general based on what I have observed since I started surfcasting several years ago.

Coastal communities are unique in that they are the gateway to an essential public resource, and there are responsibilities that come with that. I understand that small towns do not want to deal with thousands of people showing up from across the state to use the beach, and that they have limited resources. But there needs to be a balance. It isn't acceptable to totally shut out out-of-towners when everyone's tax dollars make it possible for these communities to exist. State and federal taxes help pay for roads and bridges, seawalls and other improvements, and the cost of rebuilding after storms. I think these are absolutely worthwhile things for taxpayer money to be used for. I am glad these communities exist. They are beautiful places in many respects. But in return, there needs to be a reasonable level of access for the general public, not just town residents.

21 hours ago, rst3 said:

Pretty soon we'll be fishing the coast from rest areas on Rt 6. Maybe get a business in rocket-assisted fishing going. (3m21s)

Lol!!!   But now you’ll have the FAA up your backside !

State taxes help pay for public roads and bridges to private roads. Private road maintenance is paid for by the people who live on said road. The majority of the time it is the homeowners responsibility to hire a private contractor to repair the sea wall that is on their land behind their home on the water not the taxpayers 

Agreed on the fact their should be more access but as has been stated before. The majority of People are asshatz and don’t respect either public or private land. It is up to the responsible and ethical portion of the public to police these scumbags and not up to the towns and homeowners who live on the water. Once the local police get involved it goes on record. Too many times and they find ways to shut it down

1 hour ago, tanktroll said:

This isn't a comment about the specific case of this private road, but more in general based on what I have observed since I started surfcasting several years ago.

Coastal communities are unique in that they are the gateway to an essential public resource, and there are responsibilities that come with that. I understand that small towns do not want to deal with thousands of people showing up from across the state to use the beach, and that they have limited resources. But there needs to be a balance. It isn't acceptable to totally shut out out-of-towners when everyone's tax dollars make it possible for these communities to exist. State and federal taxes help pay for roads and bridges, seawalls and other improvements, and the cost of rebuilding after storms. I think these are absolutely worthwhile things for taxpayer money to be used for. I am glad these communities exist. They are beautiful places in many respects. But in return, there needs to be a reasonable level of access for the general public, not just town residents.

Most times  The only thing public behind ocean front homes is below the high water means mark. That is why this law is still in effect today

Here’s the thing: if we want public access and rights to continue into the future we need to argue for them. As I wrote earlier the ultra wealthy, regardless of their political orientation  who increasingly own the beachfront properties will use the bad apples argument. Plenty of local officials who see a path to power will happily go along with it (this is how it is in Barnstable). Others local politicians are simply afraid of making waves and angering entitled wealthy folks who can cause them headaches.

The truth is I’ve seen very little happen here on the cape that warrants the much decreased ocean access I’ve seen since 2000 or so. 

If it’s idiots misbehaving, well they should be sited for littering or disturbing the peace, and fined. What certainly should not occur is decreasing beach or ocean access.

Let’s take the bad behavior out of the equation for a moment. Years  ago when I might park in a resident only spot I might be the only non resident out of 10 available spots. This was not an issue with the residents as it did not really effect them. This is one of the main reasons we didn’t talk much about where we fished. Those spots just couldn’t take a lot of outsiders going there because of very limited parking. Then internet reports come along and tell thousands of new people where some of these limited parking areas are. Now all 10 residents only spots are taken by non residents and not only that some even park up the street out of bounds. At this point the residents want us gone and I don’t blame them. The bad behavior just amplified the situation and gives the homeowners ammo. This situation with lose of access will only get worse. Sorry but this is the truth.......

16 hours ago, Tailslap said:

Since the number of people parking/fishing has increased by a huge amount due to the internet the number of people who have no respect has increased by a huge amount. So what used to be an isolated incident in the past is now a daily occurrence when we are talking about people parking where they are not supposed to, being too loud, littering, shitting on the beach etc. Nothing absurd about noticing the change over many years.

I have been out there a long time and the amount of disrespectful scumbags out there now is through the roof. The balance we used to have when sharing space with the local homeowners has been broken. Even though I am sad about losing access I can’t blame the home owners at this point. Shore fishermen have destroyed their own access with so much bad behavior. I feel sorry for the young guys who will never be able to experience the type of access freedom i grew up with. But those were different times with frankly different people. 

Is the internet really the problem or is it that people raise their kids to be disrespectful ignorant idiots?

46 mins ago, z-man said:

Is the internet really the problem or is it that people raise their kids to be disrespectful ignorant idiots?

Both is the problem. Before the internet most fishing info was passed person to person. Not only that but I personally would get to know someone a bit before I gave any info. This is a slow process and only increased the numbers of people at certain spots in a very small way. The internet reaches thousands of people at once and zero vetting on who is getting the info. It just will never work with spots with limited parking. At the same time thousands of new people were now getting info that only a handful used to get people were getting more disrespectful overall. The combination has been a complete disaster for shore access. Do we really think we can greatly decrease the numbers of people putting pressure on these parking areas? Do we really think people are going to get less disrespectful than they are now?  

Edited by Tailslap

41 mins ago, Tailslap said:

Both is the problem. Before the internet most fishing info was passed person to person. Not only that but I personally would get to know someone a bit before I gave any info. This is a slow process and only increased the numbers of people at certain spots in a very small way. The internet reaches thousands of people at once and zero vetting on who is getting the info. It just will never work with spots with limited parking. At the same time thousands of new people were now getting info that only a handful used to get people were getting more disrespectful overall. The combination has been a complete disaster for shore access. Do we really think we can greatly decrease the numbers of people putting pressure on these parking areas? Do we really think people are going to get less disrespectful than they are now?  

Well, expect more company at your secluded spots this summer if commercial fishing is banned at the Canal. Most of those guys (at least the law abiding ones) will spend more time at spots other than the Canal or will be looking for new ones. Also, you are correct that the Internet has played a major role in parking spots getting overcrowded. On top of that, it has also contributed to making fishing much more popular in the recent years and more people getting into it as a hobby. So I absolutely agree with you that things are not going to get better down the road (no pun intended).