BarryW

South Side Report- No Parking?

Rate this topic

40 posts in this topic

I have to say that if the "locals" are towing from the parking areas as of May 15th that's a serious crock. I've fished those Mashpee/Cotuit beaches for 20 yrs with out of state plates and never had any issues early season with towing. I have been accosted by certain homeowners who didn't get the memo regarding shoreline access rights of fishermen, who were obnoxious and uninformed. To now have them claiming that they are cutting off access via private towing  because of alleged abuse is really disregarding years of public use and needs to have pushback.  The town is equally at fault for tolerating intolerance when it comes to early season access.

Some cars were towed from a certain dirt road that is private, not one of the lots I think you might be thinking of.  Although now that memorial day is upon us, who knows.

I’m very worried about access this year and into the future. Covid is a nice excuse to lock out out-of-towners. And now the state has publicly stated that the canal was filled with drunken, filthy, misbehaved fishermen and they will likely not be able to commercial fish there. So many cape towns are likely worried that the drunken mob of shore bound comm fishermen are looking to invade there quiet little beach town. We’re ****ed. 

Please be clean, quiet and respectful when accessing your spots whether it be a surf spot or a launch. But also know your rights and respectfully stand up for them

Starting this Friday May 15, the No Parking Tow Zones will be enforced on Vineyard and Bailey roads in Cotuit. These are private dirt roads where many fishermen park to walk to the jetties at the mouth of Popponesset Bay or to the salt marsh at the tip of Meadow Point.

There is a common misperception that there is a public Town Way to Water here. That is not the case. The Town of Barnstable owns Oregon Beach, where public parking is allowed with a beach sticker. The Barnstable Land Trust owns 28 acres at the southern tip of Meadow Point and has two parking spaces on its property for people wanting access. All the land on the dirt roads past the gate at the southern end of Main St is private property.

As homeowners we’ve come to this point because of the increase of vehicular traffic, which wears down our road, requiring more frequent repairs, which we pay for ourselves; because of the lack of respect for private property as people leave trash ranging from the ugly to the disgusting on our lawns, driveways, and by the side of the road; and by the increasing number of ‘parking spaces’ created when cars & trucks drive into our woods and carve out a space where there was none before.

Since March 28 we have documented 123 unique incidents of cars parking on private property despite, and sometimes in front of, No Parking signs. We’ve left notices on windshields asking them not to park there and kept track of their plates. Of these, ten have come twice, four have come four times, and one person has parked here four times.

After consulting with the Barnstable Police, we’ve contracted with a tow company and will begin towing on Friday, May 15.

We don’t want to tow anyone’s car. But we will if we have to. We ask people not to park here. They will be towed.

Edited by SwimBait

22 mins ago, SwimBait said:

Since March 28 we have documented 123 unique incidents of cars parking on private property despite, and sometimes in front of, No Parking signs. We’ve left notices on windshields asking them not to park there and kept track of their plates. Of these, ten have come twice, four have come four times, and one person has parked here four times.

After consulting with the Barnstable Police, we’ve contracted with a tow company and will begin towing on Friday, May 15.

We don’t want to tow anyone’s car. But we will if we have to. We ask people not to park here. They will be towed.

Good. People are just stupid and not respect other's property. 

25 mins ago, SwimBait said:

Starting this Friday May 15, the No Parking Tow Zones will be enforced on Vineyard and Bailey roads in Cotuit. These are private dirt roads where many fishermen park to walk to the jetties at the mouth of Popponesset Bay or to the salt marsh at the tip of Meadow Point.

There is a common misperception that there is a public Town Way to Water here. That is not the case. The Town of Barnstable owns Oregon Beach, where public parking is allowed with a beach sticker. The Barnstable Land Trust owns 28 acres at the southern tip of Meadow Point and has two parking spaces on its property for people wanting access. All the land on the dirt roads past the gate at the southern end of Main St is private property.

As homeowners we’ve come to this point because of the increase of vehicular traffic, which wears down our road, requiring more frequent repairs, which we pay for ourselves; because of the lack of respect for private property as people leave trash ranging from the ugly to the disgusting on our lawns, driveways, and by the side of the road; and by the increasing number of ‘parking spaces’ created when cars & trucks drive into our woods and carve out a space where there was none before.

Parking is going to be shut down everywhere. People have no respect for others property. What do these idiots think is going to happen. A parking area at a lake in my town just got blocked off by boulders last week because people keep dumping trash there. A boat or kayak will be the only option soon. 

Agree, these areas should be shut down. I have no issue with private property remaining private. Now, public right of ways that are legally right of ways, that is a different story. Shut those down illegally and there will be problems. Stand your ground type of interactions. 

Also throw in here public trust doctrine for beach access generally which is our right as anglers as long as we do not cut across private property to get there.

18 mins ago, z-man said:

Parking is going to be shut down everywhere. People have no respect for others property. What do these idiots think is going to happen. A parking area at a lake in my town just got blocked off by boulders last week because people keep dumping trash there. A boat or kayak will be the only option soon. 

Pretty soon we'll be fishing the coast from rest areas on Rt 6. Maybe get a business in rocket-assisted fishing going. (3m21s)

In my opinion; every single stretch of beach in the state should have legal public access AND parking.  Its all well and good that homeowners don’t want people cutting across their property; unfortunately too many of them think the ocean view is “their property”. There would not be nearly as much illegal parking if there was more access to begin with. Generally speaking many of the folks that live on the coast believe the beaches should only be theirs because they had the money to spend on it. 

It’s not just down the cape. I’ve been fishing and duck hunting one specific section on the Marshfield/duxbury line for years now. Even had the cops called on me while duck hunting cuz I had a gun and people were “scared.” They Showed up, confirmed I was legal, and left. Never once mentioned anything about where I parked. 

Went to fish that section this spring, parked in my usual spots, which are dirt pull offs, and started fishing. Turned around about a half hour later to see a cop had pulled up and started ticketing me and people who had also parked there. Dude said it was a no parking area and had always been, but the signs had “blown off.” He said that multiple neighbors had called to report the parked cars. Luckily since I was there and the signs “had blown off” I was out of the loop but others weren’t so lucky. 

it has to be correlated to covid. Never ever had an issue before this year

It’s going to be trickier and uglier this year to access spots up and down the coast. Any problems like trash or noise created by fishermen is going to be amplified and used to shut down parking and spots possibly permanently. 

Private property rights are important, though not quite as important as shore access. Access has been eroded over the last ten years, usually during winter public hearings that wealthy owners of beachfront property are waiting for with legal support. 

Don’t kid yourself folks, it doesn’t matter which political party the beachfront owners belong to (and its both major ones), they agree that we (fisherman) aren’t their favorite part of the scenery. They all very good at lobbying for more no parking signs.

For the people who are complainG that they can’t park anywhere because of all the closures. This is what ruins it for anyone who is not from a specific town. This is why parking is getting shut down everywhere that is town or privately owned 

These cars  were parked where there was two clear and present signs that said not to park and sticker required. By the way the sawhorse was moved over to the left so one of the cars could park !!! The shoreline is littered with trash and so was the parking area

here is the kicker sometimes I can’t even park there to fish because the few parking spots are filled with out of town cars and I live in the town and pay for my right to park there M. I went fishing from the kayak yesterday and the area was closed. What did I do???  I put in somewhere else and paddled the mile and a half to get out to where i would normally paddle 200 yds 

The state needs to have more public access spots!!!!  Plain and simple.... but looked how that turned out with the canal. The majority of This generation of fishermen has no respect for other people’s property or the next generation of fishermen. The human nature of most people is what will doom future generations 

this will ruffle some feathers but I really don’t care, I like to have a privilege to park and fish. I pay for that privilege and think that I should be allowed to. I pay high taxes and water bills And everything else to be able to live close to the ocean and fish.  I moved my business 90 miles from where I started it and successfully restarted it in the town I moved to. How many of the people who complain about not being able to park in a town they aren’t from would be willing to put that much effort into basically restarting their life???
    I believe in the high water means law Also and I believe everyone should have access to fish if it’s below the high tide mark. I don’t go to other states to fish and if I go to other areas I will park where the law allows and walk however far I have to and not be pissed that I can’t park right there and have an easy walk. I  Carry in and carry out and leave no trace of myself being there.

I guess I am just used to areas getting shut down or sold. I am a hunter and over the course of 30 plus years I have lost a lot of access. Sorry people but get over it. It is what I call “evolution”. When things change just adapt and overcome and get on with your life. It sucks but it won’t get better just worse 

304DF0A3-E9E0-4954-8EEE-17280433A2CE.jpeg

FE7801E9-5C19-4260-B4FC-7BE54F1A9F3A.jpeg

1 hour ago, CcCstriper89 said:

In my opinion; every single stretch of beach in the state should have legal public access AND parking.  Its all well and good that homeowners don’t want people cutting across their property; unfortunately too many of them think the ocean view is “their property”. There would not be nearly as much illegal parking if there was more access to begin with. Generally speaking many of the folks that live on the coast believe the beaches should only be theirs because they had the money to spend on it. 

Good luck with that. If you owned water front property would you want these disrespectful idiots parking and hanging out near you?

34 mins ago, Dthfrmabove said:

For the people who are complainG that they can’t park anywhere because of all the closures. This is what ruins it for anyone who is not from a specific town. This is why parking is getting shut down everywhere that is town or privately owned 

These cars  were parked where there was two clear and present signs that said not to park and sticker required. By the way the sawhorse was moved over to the left so one of the cars could park !!! The shoreline is littered with trash and so was the parking area

here is the kicker sometimes I can’t even park there to fish because the few parking spots are filled with out of town cars and I live in the town and pay for my right to park there M. I went fishing from the kayak yesterday and the area was closed. What did I do???  I put in somewhere else and paddled the mile and a half to get out to where i would normally paddle 200 yds 

The state needs to have more public access spots!!!!  Plain and simple.... but looked how that turned out with the canal. The majority of This generation of fishermen has no respect for other people’s property or the next generation of fishermen. The human nature of most people is what will doom future generations 

this will ruffle some feathers but I really don’t care, I like to have a privilege to park and fish. I pay for that privilege and think that I should be allowed to. I pay high taxes and water bills And everything else to be able to live close to the ocean and fish.  I moved my business 90 miles from where I started it and successfully restarted it in the town I moved to. How many of the people who complain about not being able to park in a town they aren’t from would be willing to put that much effort into basically restarting their life???
    I believe in the high water means law Also and I believe everyone should have access to fish if it’s below the high tide mark. I don’t go to other states to fish and if I go to other areas I will park where the law allows and walk however far I have to and not be pissed that I can’t park right there and have an easy walk. I  Carry in and carry out and leave no trace of myself being there.

I guess I am just used to areas getting shut down or sold. I am a hunter and over the course of 30 plus years I have lost a lot of access. Sorry people but get over it. It is what I call “evolution”. When things change just adapt and overcome and get on with your life. It sucks but it won’t get better just worse 

304DF0A3-E9E0-4954-8EEE-17280433A2CE.jpeg

FE7801E9-5C19-4260-B4FC-7BE54F1A9F3A.jpeg

RI plates. We can’t go to their state but they feel free to come to ours.