Lagerhead

$1234 a week????

Rate this topic

44 posts in this topic

In normal situation that’s is how it works. You have the right to a safe work environment. If an employer can’t provide that your benefits aren’t in jeopardy. Just cause they say they can come back doesn’t make it safe. 
lets use cashiers for example. Nothing for Ppe when they first started. How can someone caring for a parent or have children with no school or daycare be made to go to work.

This is a novel virus and nobody can guarantee your safe currently.

50 mins ago, giggyfish said:

Time to get back to work.

Love too.  The problem is getting stock.  Supply houses are in trouble with certain everyday items because the world came to a halt. Its not easy getting 4" and 3" copper fittings right now and for my employer its tough to pay 3 plumbers to stand around for 60 days before he gets the stock. Jobs are so far behind right now in the Boston area.  I am hearing even PVC fittings will be hard to get this summer. This is what happens when the bulk of plumbing materials comes from India, China and other foreign lands and a pandemic happens. 

I know a guy who is making 1300$ a week in mass. He told me it's a 100$ less than what he normally makes.But the side work he picks doing drywall is easily from 500-1k a week. Put those two figures together he's doing okay. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

11 mins ago, gray gables said:

I know a guy who is making 1300$ a week in mass. He told me it's a 100$ less than what he normally makes.But the side work he picks doing drywall is easily from 500-1k a week. Put those two figures together he's doing okay. 

Hey mr. Gables how you been? factory in vehicles expensing and I’d would venture to say he is making more if he considered that. Gas, parking, oil changes and other maintenance adds up. 

Edited by emptyhook

3 hours ago, The Riddler said:

Love too.  The problem is getting stock.  Supply houses are in trouble with certain everyday items because the world came to a halt. Its not easy getting 4" and 3" copper fittings right now and for my employer its tough to pay 3 plumbers to stand around for 60 days before he gets the stock. Jobs are so far behind right now in the Boston area.  I am hearing even PVC fittings will be hard to get this summer. This is what happens when the bulk of plumbing materials comes from India, China and other foreign lands and a pandemic happens. 

The construction industry is going to be chaos for a while. No one can plan ahead with the state and city of Boston not giving clear answers on when and what construction can start. Lead times on everything will be insane. Building departments running on a skeleton crew. Then you have building owners that still expect you to meet the original schedules. 

4 hours ago, Lagerhead said:

Yea CBS got it wrong then. The difference between Fla and Mass is 823 - 275. Still significant but goes to show how reliable the news is. :rolleyes:

That’s a huge difference my friend. Not 1234 to 275 but still a huge difference 

20 hours ago, giggyfish said:

Cut the extra 600 and they’ll get back to work. 

The "extra" $600 is temporary, and if people try to stay "on the dole" longer, when they stop the money train these tools will be looking to get their old jobs back.

That is when the owner tells them their job is no longer available, but another is ...FOR MUCH LESS MONEY.

1 hour ago, FishermanTim said:

The "extra" $600 is temporary, and if people try to stay "on the dole" longer, when they stop the money train these tools will be looking to get their old jobs back.

That is when the owner tells them their job is no longer available, but another is ...FOR MUCH LESS MONEY.

They get it for 13 weeks. If that nutjob pelosi had her way they would get it for the rest of the year.

8 hours ago, richie c said:

Whats your rate

Nothing right now. Undes re class from Coronado. Not complaining though. :howdy:

21 hours ago, zak-striper said:

You can't. If your employer reopens and offers your job back, you lose your unemployment checks if you refuse to go back to work 'cuz you're making more on UI.

The only exceptions are things such as if you have covid-19, if you're caring for someone with covid-19 or if you have kids who are home because of schools closed by covid-19 and you're the primary care taker.

Technically you can’t. But, in reality, you can. There’s 0 enforcement.

On 5/21/2020 at 9:28 PM, AudAtkins said:

My roommate is making that much, granted he made more than that weekly with tips and what not, but that much money to do nothing is pretty enticing during these times. The max is $550 but with the federal $600 bonus thats why its so much and currently the house is posing a bill to extend the bonus $600 thru January with another stimulus check. I know a guy who owns a food chain he said his employees won't come back bc they are making more, makes sense but its f**ked. But its literally monopoly money as Lagerhead said. I don't understand it, not my job, I'm still not back at work but I'm making less than I usually did bc my previous job did some sketchy tax reporting/claiming. Restaurant bizzzz.

It is going to cause inflation and effect everyone who has savings and 401ks in the long run. Due to all this money they are flooding the market with. 

On 5/22/2020 at 3:24 PM, z-man said:

The construction industry is going to be chaos for a while. No one can plan ahead with the state and city of Boston not giving clear answers on when and what construction can start. Lead times on everything will be insane. Building departments running on a skeleton crew. Then you have building owners that still expect you to meet the original schedules. 

Boston ISD had two "webinars" this past week explaining what a contractor, GC, or homeowner needs to do to comply with the new Covid-19 protocols so they can pull permits. It was really very helpful and the recordings of those should be on their website. They have a team of people answering emails, and have been very responsive, at least in my recent experience. I hope to have one long form permit approved within 10 days and a short form permit approved next week. The real issue is getting my site safety plan in order, but I'm almost there. Somerville has been a bitch offering no direction, but I should be back on that project in the next 2 - 3 weeks. Then I can get off the dole.

People are collecting this and will continue to until July 31.Half will not come back even when called back.there are way too many reasons why employees can say they are not comfortable working at this point.Nobody is firing anyone in the food buisness for anything at this point.there are no workers to replace them.....I'm 100percent for helping the needy ,but if your able bodied put a mask on and get back to work and get the economy going. IF they pulled the 600 federal check back unemployment would be cut in half tomorrow! ?.....There are part time high school age kids that were mAking 200 a week that are now collecting700 a week to stay home and hang out with their friends!!!!!! Its insane what's going on!