Lagerhead

$1234 a week????

Rate this topic

44 posts in this topic

11 mins ago, Tailslap said:

Truth. The real difference is $360 a week. 

That's still a pretty sizable difference. Especially when you consider the difference itself is actually considerably larger than the maximum amount available in FL.

Guys, someone please explain this to me.

Ok, due to covid19 an employee got layed off or furloughed. He gets unemployment benefits plus $600.  

The state opens up again, and the employer needs him to come back to work. The employee refuses because he's making too much money and also says he's concerned about covid-19.

By refusing to come back to work, haven't you just technically quit your job? In that case how can you continue to receive unemployment benefits?

I understand they're may be exceptions due to health and personal safety reasons.  Am I missing something here?

Posted (edited) · Report post

I think if the person has an underlying condition they can stay out for health reasons.   But they really need to just open things up. 

Edited by sandbars

8 hours ago, Tailslap said:

Truth. The real difference is $360 a week. 

CBS news sucks. They totally distorted facts to drive some point.

Edited by Lagerhead

15 mins ago, Lagerhead said:

CBS news sucks. They totally distorted facts to drive some point.

MSM distorting the facts? This is my shocked face.  :eek:

Last I knew MA unemployment was roughly 50% of your working pay, up to a max of @ $825

Definiely added the fed bonus to one state and not the other for their fake comparison. 

26 mins ago, Eagles Dare said:

Last I knew MA unemployment was roughly 50% of your working pay, up to a max of @ $825

Definiely added the fed bonus to one state and not the other for their fake comparison. 

I know a couple people that are collecting the max which is roughly around that number; because they made a substantial amount more before being shut down. With the 600 they are taking home roughly 1500 dollars a week. This is about the max anybody in Ma Is making and that is only if you were making good money before. I’d say most are getting the 600+2 or 300 benefit.

2 hours ago, bob_G said:

By refusing to come back to work, haven't you just technically quit your job? In that case how can you continue to receive unemployment benefits?

I understand they're may be exceptions due to health and personal safety reasons.  Am I missing something here?

You can't. If your employer reopens and offers your job back, you lose your unemployment checks if you refuse to go back to work 'cuz you're making more on UI.

The only exceptions are things such as if you have covid-19, if you're caring for someone with covid-19 or if you have kids who are home because of schools closed by covid-19 and you're the primary care taker.

Edited by zak-striper

40 mins ago, Eagles Dare said:

Yes, that's what it is. The federal program currently kicks in an extra $600 because of covid-19.

I've been laid off twice over the last 7 years. As an IT guy, I made a lot more than the max benefit. I was motivated to get back to work because on UI I was taking home a lot less than what I could make working.

The group that resisted the first care act want to triple it on their own. Nothing like buying votes.

Truthfully, the federal gov't thinks everytown usa has same cost of living. No difference from san diego to kansas.

There is a lot of incorrect info here. MA Unemployment is $823 max per week then the feds add $600 for Covid.  The max total is $1423. My wife was on it for a few weeks but is back to work now. Also if your employer offers your job back then you lose your unemployment benefits. 

Yea CBS got it wrong then. The difference between Fla and Mass is 823 - 275. Still significant but goes to show how reliable the news is. :rolleyes:

Without kids the max in Massachusetts is 823 plus the 600 dollar Trump Dollars.