Lagerhead

$1234 a week????

Rate this topic

44 posts in this topic

If you’re talking about the unemployment pay outs, I’m with you, 

My neighbor got temporarily laid off and he says he’s making more than he ever has in his life.

If you’re talking about something else then never mind :howdy:

1 hour ago, Lagerhead said:

How the heck is that sustainable?

It's being funded with monopoly money so what difference does it make.

Posted (edited) · Report post

My roommate is making that much, granted he made more than that weekly with tips and what not, but that much money to do nothing is pretty enticing during these times. The max is $550 but with the federal $600 bonus thats why its so much and currently the house is posing a bill to extend the bonus $600 thru January with another stimulus check. I know a guy who owns a food chain he said his employees won't come back bc they are making more, makes sense but its f**ked. But its literally monopoly money as Lagerhead said. I don't understand it, not my job, I'm still not back at work but I'm making less than I usually did bc my previous job did some sketchy tax reporting/claiming. Restaurant bizzzz.

Edited by AudAtkins

7 mins ago, AudAtkins said:

I know a guy who owns a food chain he said his employees won't come back bc they are making more, makes sense but its f**ked. 

No it doesn't make sense. Those employees are commiting unemployment fraud and he should report them.

24 mins ago, Intrepid95 said:

No it doesn't make sense. Those employees are commiting unemployment fraud and he should report them.

Cut the extra $600 and they definitely go back work, its just a tough time, you can literally say you don't feel comfortable going back to work or someone in your household has it and you can't go back to work. Weird times. 

Sad thing is that if this is our tax money it shows how much they probably waste each year.

As far as employees not wanting to come back, separating the ones that want to make more sitting at home or actually are concerned for people they are responsible for will be hard. They will weed themselves out.
My union is currently closed and I’m building a hospital so the essential job is exempt from the closure. I went from 9 guys to just another guy and myself to finish. This is the foreseeable future, businesses running at lower capacity due to the distancing protocols.

As unemployment runs out and goes back to the 827 max(before taxes) and extension aren't granted. The jobs won’t be there to go back to.

Posted (edited) · Report post

If the number I posted in the title is the sum of Massachusetts state compensation plus the federal addition, then I am mistaken to post it in the Mass. section. That $1234 figure was specifically highlighted on the CBS national news this evening. The segment did not mention the figure was the sum total. 

Edited by Lagerhead

34 mins ago, Tailslap said:

Guess it would better to be in Florida where the weekly maximum is $275........ouch

That was the comparison the newsies were making. 1234 max vs 275 max, suggesting the 1234 was the Mass state unemployment compensation without the federal bump.

17 mins ago, Lagerhead said:

That was the comparison the newsies were making. 1234 max vs 275 max, suggesting the 1234 was the Mass state unemployment compensation without the federal bump.

Truth. The real difference is $360 a week.