MikeBlue

Weasels?

Rate this topic

34 posts in this topic

16 hours ago, Tailslap said:

Did someone say weasel? There where minks released on the Canal years ago to control the rat population. It worked because there are next to zero rats down there but many minks about......

Might just be me, and/or the spots I'm fishing, but I saw far fewer mink last year than in years past. And this week I saw rats on consecutive nights, after not having seen them there for years. 

2 hours ago, Angler #1 said:

They have chased the rats from the canal to all of the local towns . I was able to trap close to 75 last year in my traps , until I was able to  slow them down . 

You trapped 75 rats in your neighborhood? :eek:

48 mins ago, MakoMike said:

Minks are pretty small. If what you saw was 2-3 feet long it was a fisher.

Earlier this week, a fisher cat crossed the road about 50 yards from me and my dog in Webster. It sure had the body type of of a "weasel" but I was unsure until MakoMike confirmed the length for a fisher. First one I have seen, but I have heard them screaming. My dog did not see it, but caught the scent when we walked past where it crossed.

She did get to chase after a fox two days ago-no chance-ran straight towards where the fox was, and by the time she got there, the fox was long gone in another direction.

8 hours ago, Sandbar1 said:

I was jigging between the run and the sag one night when I heard the most horrible screaming and shrieking on the service road above me. I headed up the rip rap to see what the hell was making the noise, started shining my light around on the road and saw two large rats vicious fighting each other. I got a bit closer but they ignored me. I watched as they fought their way down the riprap and and both rats ended up in the canal both still fighting and shrieking as they were carried out with the current.

Must have been a few ladies around 

40 years ago my buddy and I used to shoot rats on Bell Road. when there's nothing to do on slow nights in March, April, May. We'd go to Bell Road and plant bread on the edge of the parking lot. We'd sit in the cab of his pickup truck both armed with pellet guns and pick off the rats when they come to eat the bread.  That was high sporting those days.

1 hour ago, bob_G said:

You trapped 75 rats in your neighborhood? :eek:

That is correct . They walked into my unbaited traps and I dispatched then Sandwich has had a a rat infestation of some sorts over the past several years . Most set up nests in the ground and when they disturbed by builders and such they spread out . I keep 3 traps unbaited along the paths they follow , None for the past five weeks so that is a good sign

40 years ago my buddy and I used to shoot rats on Bell Road. when there's nothing to do on slow nights in March, April, May. We'd go to Bell Road and plant bread on the edge of the parking lot. We'd sit in the cab of his pickup truck both armed with pellet guns and pick off the rats when they come to eat the bread.  That was high sporting those days.

Now you can do it with squirrels. :p

Edited by bdowning

1 hour ago, Angler #1 said:

That is correct . They walked into my unbaited traps and I dispatched then Sandwich has had a a rat infestation of some sorts over the past several years . Most set up nests in the ground and when they disturbed by builders and such they spread out . I keep 3 traps unbaited along the paths they follow , None for the past five weeks so that is a good sign

You keep that up, they'll begin calling you Ratzo.

2 mins ago, Jighead75 said:

I have shared my lunch at the canal over the years with mink  and red fox .

If you want to catch a live mink, just cast a dead herring in the rocks. :naughty: