MikeBlue

Weasels?

Rate this topic

34 posts in this topic

I just saw a weasel run across my lawn in hot pursuit of a chipmunk, which he caught and killed in the bushes. I haven't seen a weasel in more than 50 years, I was living on Long Island then. I'm on Cape Cod, how common are they in Mass and on the Cape? I fear for all the chipmunks that are around, we hand feed a number of them.

I have one under my barn, they eat the mice that carry the ticks so I leave them alone. Relatively common in western, ma. not sure about the cape

Pretty sure it was a weasel that killed the last of my chickens. 
Saw one a week or two after in my back yard hopping through the snow.

Haven't seen one since getting rid of the chickens.

I keep meaning to build a weasel trap to see if I can catch em in my back yard.

Did someone say weasel? There where minks released on the Canal years ago to control the rat population. It worked because there are next to zero rats down there but many minks about......

Chipmunks; rats with racing strips... 

Sorry to hear about your chickens. I see more fishers than weasels out here in Central MA, but I see them also.

5 hours ago, Tailslap said:

Did someone say weasel? There where minks released on the Canal years ago to control the rat population. It worked because there are next to zero rats down there but many minks about......

Plenty of rats still there; you can hear them moving around the rip rap at night 

4 hours ago, heyblue34 said:

Plenty of rats still there; you can hear them moving around the rip rap at night 

I was jigging between the run and the sag one night when I heard the most horrible screaming and shrieking on the service road above me. I headed up the rip rap to see what the hell was making the noise, started shining my light around on the road and saw two large rats vicious fighting each other. I got a bit closer but they ignored me. I watched as they fought their way down the riprap and and both rats ended up in the canal both still fighting and shrieking as they were carried out with the current.

1 hour ago, Sandbar1 said:

I was jigging between the run and the sag one night when I heard the most horrible screaming and shrieking on the service road above me. I headed up the rip rap to see what the hell was making the noise, started shining my light around on the road and saw two large rats vicious fighting each other. I got a bit closer but they ignored me. I watched as they fought their way down the riprap and and both rats ended up in the canal both still fighting and shrieking as they were carried out with the current.

That used to be every  night..everywhere  down there.  I have only seen 1 rat in last 10 years, and there was a mink hot on its trail

They have chased the rats from the canal to all of the local towns . I was able to trap close to 75 last year in my traps , until I was able to  slow them down . My neighbor at the time was not putting his garbage to the dump, just leaving it in plastic bags outside. That has all been cleaned up for now. The house was sold and they had to put in a new septic system . The local population got disturbed when they redid the whole back yard and now they are mostly gone. Once they get in the ground it is hard to get rid of them.

The rats along the canal were a common situation even during the daylight hours . The Corp attempted over the years to slow them down, by putting in Skunks and then Mink . The term Canal Rat was given to those who fished hard during the night fell asleep on the rocks and then had then crawl on you to lick of the eel skin liquid when you wiped your hand on your boots or waders to clean them up after putting on a fresh eel . At least that how it once was when I was given the Canal Rat title in 44 or 45, by Peter Coshis and Bob Black    You earned that name /  Today any one who fishes the canal is given that title

Edited by Angler #1

Mike,

How large was the weasel? 

My wife saw one yesterday midday in our yard (East Sandwich).  Based on the size I would  guess it could be a fisher.  Brown, two to three feet including tail. 

Hard to imagine this new reality.

Charlie

I always keep a few rat traps set in my detached garage as I've had issues with those bastards setting up shop in there from time to time over the years.  Much to my surprise, I caught two weasels this winter.  I had never seen one in my life to that point.  Had to google it to see what they were.