titleguy

Effin' Wind

Rate this topic

23 posts in this topic

Just will not let up...  SE 15 when I went out last night- made the beach unfishable, so I stayed inside the river mouth.  Recently set up my 7 wt spey with a 400 grain OPST intermediate head and 10 ft T-11.  Getting decent casts with wind sort of off my left shoulder (also left handed) with my backwards circle, pretzel spey.  No fish, but good casting practice.  As it got closer to dark wind ticked around to S and SW at about 10 and crushed me...  I was casting like Aunt Mary's goat.  Mised one fished and saw one caught.  Our water is still cold.  Hoping to find some fish this weekend.

4 hours ago, titleguy said:

Just will not let up...  SE 15 when I went out last night- made the beach unfishable, so I stayed inside the river mouth.  Recently set up my 7 wt spey with a 400 grain OPST intermediate head and 10 ft T-11.  Getting decent casts with wind sort of off my left shoulder (also left handed) with my backwards circle, pretzel spey.  No fish, but good casting practice.  As it got closer to dark wind ticked around to S and SW at about 10 and crushed me...  I was casting like Aunt Mary's goat.  Mised one fished and saw one caught.  Our water is still cold.  Hoping to find some fish this weekend.

According to our local tv station (MA) April was the most windy month on record since they started keepimg that type of data....brutal.

A never ending frustration for the flyrodder...play the hand, fish close into the wind in the dark of night...the trough  is our often overlooked friend!

A never ending battle.... and right when you think it died down it just seems to change direction... I don't have much experience with 2 handed rods but I imagine its just as frustrating (if not more) than casting a normal fly rod in the wind.

1 hour ago, canaltime32 said:

A never ending battle.... and right when you think it died down it just seems to change direction... I don't have much experience with 2 handed rods but I imagine its just as frustrating (if not more) than casting a normal fly rod in the wind.

Quite the opposite.

Imagine a casting fly line twice if not three times as heavy as your ten weight, with greater line speed, and less fatigue than your single handed rod.

A proper saltwater two handed rod for overhead casting keeps you fishing when your single hander gets blown off the beach

RedGreen- I'm left handed so overhead was out of the picture.  This is also a true spey and does not overhead particularly well.

8 mins ago, canaltime32 said:

RedGreen- that’s good to know! I’m going to have to explore the world of 2 hand casters more 

Canaltime-  It will change the way you think about striper fishing.  I rarely use a single hander on the beach anymore (unless sight fishing).  I am committing to using this spey rod and swinging flies more this season for stripers. 

1 min ago, titleguy said:

Canaltime-  It will change the way you think about striper fishing.  I rarely use a single hander on the beach anymore (unless sight fishing).  I am committing to using this spey rod and swinging flies more this season for stripers. 

totally going to have to try it. I got a 7weight switch rod (probably too small for stripers) I’ve messed with up in NY but just couldn’t get the hang of (doubt I had the right line or technique). But sounds awesome. Is line management easier too or the same? Like do you still use striping baskets on the beach with speys? 

The wind has been brutal for at least a month. Thats one reason I get out before the sun appears as thats when the wind is the least.

57 mins ago, titleguy said:

And, if you really want to enjoy it, learn to cast your TH from both sides. Honestly, it's not difficult.

I never worry too much about wind as I figure I can get 50 feet  straight into 30 plus  with a  single hand 9 and a 350 head. The fish are usually at my feet then. I also have collected lots of spots to go in different wind conditions. I just can't bring myself to get excited over 2 hand rods unless I only wanted to target 20 lb. plus fish.  I guess I'm happy with the hand full I may get in a year of striper fishing.  If I fished the CCC I would be getting one, though.  I do have a few for  GL steelhead and salmon.  I guess I'm stuck in old dog mode. Still catching fish and having fun, though.

1 hour ago, Suave said:

And, if you really want to enjoy it, learn to cast your TH from both sides. Honestly, it's not difficult.

I can do it- not well, or a do cross hand/back hand with my left hand on top.   In this case switching hands would not have made a big difference...  Bloosfisher-  it's a different kind of fishing and not totally size dependent.  I started out with a 7 glass switch and it handle fish up to 30" just fine.  I upgraded to  the Beulah Opal 9/10 beach rod in 2018 and love it.  The Meiser Spey is a different beast- it is a real spey rod and I am still figuring it out.  The grain window per Meiser's chart is much heavier than what I am using

9 hours ago, titleguy said:

RedGreen- I'm left handed so overhead was out of the picture.  This is also a true spey and does not overhead particularly well.

i was field casting,right handed,Two handed rod,everything went good.i decided i go to beach,wind coming from east 30 MPH,first cast and the hook is in my ass.now i realize i have to practise left hand casting.i cast 900 grain shooting head,now i cast 10 times left hand and 10 times right hand nice and easy.it is easier casting then single handed fly rod,one roll lift the fly off water,one time back and shoot forward,90' left hand,120' right hand.the wimd have no efect on casting distance.

ha. come on down to Cape Lookout/OBX.  Been blowing 25 for weeks. Today it is only 15 southwest but to morrow afternoon back to 20 to 25 kts northeast