LockedDrag

Your favorite tackle shop

Rate this topic

108 posts in this topic

52 mins ago, HugeDinghy said:

half way decent shop but they aren't even in the same universe as the edge

I like the edge too. Their service is pretty much just as good. I find they are more of a surfcaster’s store though. Very little appeal to bait guys and frankly just too far from me. Can’t really say I have enough experience to say anything about them but one of these guys is really helpful. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jersey:
Murphy’s Hook House

Grumpys

Fisherman’s Supply

Fisherman’s Headquarters

Andy’s in Barnegat Light

 

Florida:

Whitey’s

Black Dog

Goodes

 

Delaware:

Old inlet


 

From the past:

Sandy’s

Glenn’s

Rick’ Tackle Box

Mack’s

Fish and Stuff

Jack Blade’

McFall’s

Fox’s

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 mins ago, LockedDrag said:

I like the edge too. Their service is pretty much just as good. I find they are more of a surfcaster’s store though. Very little appeal to bait guys and frankly just too far from me. Can’t really say I have enough experience to say anything about them but one of these guys is really helpful. 

they have been carrying bait for awhile, although I admittedly have never purchased bait there. always struck me as odd that a tackle shop didn't carry bait. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 mins ago, HugeDinghy said:

they have been carrying bait for awhile, although I admittedly have never purchased bait there. always struck me as odd that a tackle shop didn't carry bait. 

Yeah. That little freezer in the front but it’s ****** bait. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 mins ago, HugeDinghy said:

probably odd for a guy who never fishes bait to wonder why a tackle shop doesn't carry bait. :laugh:

I fish a lot of bait too. I’ve looked through that freezer. I get it though. It’s not something they cater to. I don’t make it that way much anyways so I don’t care for the place though. Not a knock against them

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

For Mass I have been a long time fan of any local shop really, but over the years, M&D Outfitters is one of the local shops I find is most likely to be in stock of the exact right things at the right time of year, excluding custom plugs of course which no one is ever really in stock on (though Red Top in Bourne does a great job trying to stay in stock). 

 

I also love the Bear's Den for Fly Fishing & always buy from them when I need tying supplies or a fly rod. Scott Wessels is a class act all the way, couldn't be a nicer dude running a great fly shop & in fact, I think he runs the best shop in the entire US & I've been to all of them. Yellowstone Anglers is another great freshwater shop. 

 

For NY State it's WC Dette's Fly Shop all the way for me & always will be. Also love Urban Anglers and used to love English Trappings in Pawling NY but I think they went out of business. Adirondack Sport & Tackle was once upon a time a must stop but now, with Francis Betters no longer with us, sheesh. 

 

For CT it's River's End all the way & I've bought big ticket items & little odds & ends over the years, was always thankful they were there. I used to run Cabela's, East Hartford fishing dept & have to shop at River's end to get what I needed. LOL. CAB just didn't believe we actually had saltwater in CT. The best freshwater fly shop is Upcountry, Grady has done wonders with that place over the years. Classic Custom was another good one with Dave Goulet running the show but they are no longer there so - CC all the way these days. 

 

For Rhode Island I have to say Saltwater Edge though they are not a stop for lures as they seem to perpetually always be out of stock - again, who isn't though. Great shop though that just needs a better lure buying strategy. 

 

In NJ it's got to be Tackle Direct all the way. No one else is as good as they are with their on line presence. Again, out of stock a lot on key lures but they have good follow through on line & people from all over the country buy there. 

 

Chark Bait is another good one out west & I shop there from time to time as well. Kittery Trading Post in Maine is another nice stop as well. 

 

Here's my Dream - some day....(I could be lured out of lure retirement to run this store)

....IF ONLY SOMEBODY could SOMEHOW buy a couple million of every Super Strike lure & keep them in stock, then swing deals with all the awesome Plug Builders & keep their plugs in stock also. After Hours & MIkes would be MUST CARRY Plugs....WOWWWW

 

Plus carry Dan Tinman's Tins, Charlie Graves & Point Jude Tins, a whole METAL department would be needed laced with Kastmasters, Hopkins, Deadly Dicks, West Coast Metals, exotic South African lures...ooohhh yeah!, plus a WALL of Sluggos & Hogy and then all the other odds ends like Paddle Tails, Houdini Shad (yes, the mold still exsists & if you wanted a couple 100,000, zoom would do it), RonZee's, Super Flukes....

 

Then we'd have a Bomber isle opposite a Mambo Minnow Isle around the corner from an SP minniow & Shimano Isle. Colt Snipers in Stock...Andrus Bucktails, homemade Rinds in jars, bunker oil, Surf Rods & Surf Fly rods, Reels, braid (832 & Fireline would be the bulk stand by lines with Andes & Diawa available as needed). 

 

A nice tight wall of terminal tackle, waders, wet suits, dry suits, mudders, surf bags, pliers and of course, every StormR product made. 

 

Centruy, Lammy & whatever "other" rods you want (Shimano, Loomis, Sage, St. Croix, TFO & whatever else was in demand enough to warrant carrying). Probably would need two or three custom in house builders available. 

 

Live Bait "Lockers" outside, complete with aeration buckets. Rented just like a boat slip, order your bait in advance & it would be waiting in your bait locker. Pay by CC.

 

Small liquor store on site also, could also be tagged to Bait lockers. Hire Strippers as cashiers too. All the way man. Would need a crazy rewards program & special Credit Card also - tied into vehicle discounts, boat purchases, points & other rewards. 

 

Guided Trips available. Dan Wood & Captain Ray Cast Fly running right out of the shop. Ty Croce available on demand. We've all fantasized about an amazing shop. Our local shops do what they can afford. But folks, some of us "kids" think bigger. 

 

Theft, by the way, is a nightmare for local shops. Too many dirt bags out there ruin retail for those of us that are willing to support it. So in my dream store, RoboCops are on patrol in every Isle with my permission to machine gun blast any shoplifters. Shoot 'em dead on sight!

 

Lastly, we'd need a door man to prevent any crazy ex-wives from entering the establishment. They could perform a simple blood test to see if they take various meds & what not. Then they'd have to perform a simple eye test. Any women with wandering eyes would need to be barred from entering. 

 

Lighting up the grill now so happy Memorial Day to everyone in advance! Remember your Grandmother's, Grandfathers, Mom's & Pops, siblings. God bless each of you & all those who fished before us. 

Edited by CaryGreene

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

Fishermen supply,fishermen headquarters,and betty and nicks first for the am videos and the reports 2ND they do make awesome breakfast sandwiches.Grumpys is grumpys.

Ramsey outdoor still gets it done fresh water and salt.

Edited by Surf bomber

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

DE- 99% Ricks b&t in longneck, know the owners of old inlet personally, good guys, but their stuff is "beach priced" 
MD - AllTackle or Tochtermans depending on location

NJ - Grumpys, or B&N to get breakfast with your tackle

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, CaryGreene said:

For Mass I have been a long time fan of any local shop really, but over the years, M&D Outfitters is one of the local shops I find is most likely to be in stock of the exact right things at the right time of year, excluding custom plugs of course which no one is ever really in stock on (though Red Top in Bourne does a great job trying to stay in stock). 

 

I also love the Bear's Den for Fly Fishing & always buy from them when I need tying supplies or a fly rod. Scott Wessels is a class act all the way, couldn't be a nicer dude running a great fly shop & in fact, I think he runs the best shop in the entire US & I've been to all of them. Yellowstone Anglers is another great freshwater shop. 

 

For NY State it's WC Dette's Fly Shop all the way for me & always will be. Also love Urban Anglers and used to love English Trappings in Pawling NY but I think they went out of business. Adirondack Sport & Tackle was once upon a time a must stop but now, with Francis Betters no longer with us, sheesh. 

 

For CT it's River's End all the way & I've bought big ticket items & little odds & ends over the years, was always thankful they were there. I used to run Cabela's, East Hartford fishing dept & have to shop at River's end to get what I needed. LOL. CAB just didn't believe we actually had saltwater in CT. The best freshwater fly shop is Upcountry, Grady has done wonders with that place over the years. Classic Custom was another good one with Dave Goulet running the show but they are no longer there so - CC all the way these days. 

 

For Rhode Island I have to say Saltwater Edge though they are not a stop for lures as they seem to perpetually always be out of stock - again, who isn't though. Great shop though that just needs a better lure buying strategy. 

 

In NJ it's got to be Tackle Direct all the way. No one else is as good as they are with their on line presence. Again, out of stock a lot on key lures but they have good follow through on line & people from all over the country buy there. 

 

Chark Bait is another good one out west & I shop there from time to time as well. Kittery Trading Post in Maine is another nice stop as well. 

 

Here's my Dream - some day....(I could be lured out of lure retirement to run this store)

....IF ONLY SOMEBODY could SOMEHOW buy a couple million of every Super Strike lure & keep them in stock, then swing deals with all the awesome Plug Builders & keep their plugs in stock also. After Hours & MIkes would be MUST CARRY Plugs....WOWWWW

 

Plus carry Dan Tinman's Tins, Charlie Graves & Point Jude Tins, a whole METAL department would be needed laced with Kastmasters, Hopkins, Deadly Dicks, West Coast Metals, exotic South African lures...ooohhh yeah!, plus a WALL of Sluggos & Hogy and then all the other odds ends like Paddle Tails, Houdini Shad (yes, the mold still exsists & if you wanted a couple 100,000, zoom would do it), RonZee's, Super Flukes....

 

Then we'd have a Bomber isle opposite a Mambo Minnow Isle around the corner from an SP minniow & Shimano Isle. Colt Snipers in Stock...Andrus Bucktails, homemade Rinds in jars, bunker oil, Surf Rods & Surf Fly rods, Reels, braid (832 & Fireline would be the bulk stand by lines with Andes & Diawa available as needed). 

 

A nice tight wall of terminal tackle, waders, wet suits, dry suits, mudders, surf bags, pliers and of course, every StormR product made. 

 

Centruy, Lammy & whatever "other" rods you want (Shimano, Loomis, Sage, St. Croix, TFO & whatever else was in demand enough to warrant carrying). Probably would need two or three custom in house builders available. 

 

Live Bait "Lockers" outside, complete with aeration buckets. Rented just like a boat slip, order your bait in advance & it would be waiting in your bait locker. Pay by CC.

 

Small liquor store on site also, could also be tagged to Bait lockers. Hire Strippers as cashiers too. All the way man. Would need a crazy rewards program & special Credit Card also - tied into vehicle discounts, boat purchases, points & other rewards. 

 

Guided Trips available. Dan Wood & Captain Ray Cast Fly running right out of the shop. Ty Croce available on demand. We've all fantasized about an amazing shop. Our local shops do what they can afford. But folks, some of us "kids" think bigger. 

 

Theft, by the way, is a nightmare for local shops. Too many dirt bags out there ruin retail for those of us that are willing to support it. So in my dream store, RoboCops are on patrol in every Isle with my permission to machine gun blast any shoplifters. Shoot 'em dead on sight!

 

Lastly, we'd need a door man to prevent any crazy ex-wives from entering the establishment. They could perform a simple blood test to see if they take various meds & what not. Then they'd have to perform a simple eye test. Any women with wandering eyes would need to be barred from entering. 

 

Lighting up the grill now so happy Memorial Day to everyone in advance! Remember your Grandmother's, Grandfathers, Mom's & Pops, siblings. God bless each of you & all those who fished before us. 

Have a guy out back selling high grade marijuana and it’s a go! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Coops on MV and Larry’s, nothing but positives for both. Blackbeard’s and Goose Hummock on the cape. MGC fishing in Pembroke. Honestly, can’t think of a shop I don’t like. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, catchnr3lease said:

DE- 99% Ricks b&t in longneck, know the owners of old inlet personally, good guys, but their stuff is "beach priced" 
MD - AllTackle or Tochtermans depending on location

NJ - Grumpys, or B&N to get breakfast with your tackle

Ricks is a great place!  Hook em and Cook em as well.  

 

Reminds me i still have some Ricks gift cert to spend lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, zenman said:

Coops on MV and Larry’s, nothing but positives for both. Blackbeard’s and Goose Hummock on the cape. MGC fishing in Pembroke. Honestly, can’t think of a shop I don’t like. 

Coops and Larrys are a must stop place during the Derby

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Captain Ahab said:

Coops and Larrys are a must stop place during the Derby

Coop put me into the “right” color and location for my first false albacore and his wife passed out the chocolate chip cookies while I listened. Feel like I got an expert level tutorial in false albacore fishing for the price of 3 hogy metals which all ended up catching. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.