LockedDrag

Your favorite tackle shop

Rate this topic

108 posts in this topic

I consider myself fortunate to only be about  5 miles away from Webhannet River Boat Yard in Wells Maine, but I also travel down to Massachusetts several times a year for reel service and shopping at Surfland.   I also enjoy going into Crossroads in Amesbury.   Being solely a chunker there's only so many supplies I need other than bait, but I'd highly recommend any of these places.     

1 hour ago, crazybellringer said:

Lets see your trouble maker collection

Is that the local guy that makes plugs and they sell there?

I know i have a few of his but no way will i remember which is what unless they are labeled 

I am a plug user not a collector so i know what works for me.  The rest are shoved aside just in case they may one day work for me lol.

1 hour ago, coop01 said:

Old Inlet Bait and Tackle... no BS reports, excellent rod/reel service, good bait and local tackle, and very competitive prices...

Lower, slower DE 

I like all the De tackle shops.  Old Inlet, Dans, lewes harbour, master baiters, old bones and the one in Pott nets 

37 mins ago, Captain Ahab said:

Is that the local guy that makes plugs and they sell there?

I know i have a few of his but no way will i remember which is what unless they are labeled 

I am a plug user not a collector so i know what works for me.  The rest are shoved aside just in case they may one day work for me lol.

Yes it used to be the secret spot for getting trouble makers. I believe he stopped making them a long time ago and there were a couple years where he would do small runs for that shop.  The last time I think he had them was 5 or 6 years ago. He also at one point had a good selection of RM's and super strike darters.   Big Don was also a local guy that built plugs. He stopped before I really got into that style of fishing.  I was a big freshwater guy and would go there and be confused as to why had all the giant saltwater stuff. 

The answer to the question will change over the years as ownership of some of these bait shops also change. However, here are a couple that I liked in the past...

Normandy Beach bait and tackle owned by Ernie Wuesthoff. He opened the shop in 1962 and passed away 10 years ago at the age of 84. Ernie could have been cast in Jaws. He had that Quint way about him. Everyone knew him and Al Ristori used to fish with him a lot and would promote the shop. Every time you walked in there Ernie would say they are nailing the stripers that day on whatever bait Ernie was trying to sell. After he got to know you, he would drop that script. I used to fish with him on the beach in the fall on occasion.

Next was Reel Life Bait & Tackle in Pt Pleasant on Bridge Ave. They are also closed now and used to be open 24hrs. They had a great selection of tackle and you could get live bait there at 3am if needed.

36 mins ago, crazybellringer said:

Yes it used to be the secret spot for getting trouble makers. I believe he stopped making them a long time ago and there were a couple years where he would do small runs for that shop.  The last time I think he had them was 5 or 6 years ago. He also at one point had a good selection of RM's and super strike darters.   Big Don was also a local guy that built plugs. He stopped before I really got into that style of fishing.  I was a big freshwater guy and would go there and be confused as to why had all the giant saltwater stuff. 

I have some Big Dons 

Causeway Bait and Tackle are the surf casters dream.  They are always well stocked,  and have what you're looking for.  There are a great bunch of helpful guys that work there.  They make terrific rods as well.

Bob, Mike and the crew at Causeway good guys been going there for over 50yrs.

Mike, Mike and Jose at Saltwaters in w islip also good guys hit them a lot as well.

River’s End in Old Saybrook is the best place for Surfcasters to get supplies. The Surfcaster is another good source, for buying online.