Cerealkilla43

Any downside to using lure Clips?

Rate this topic

30 posts in this topic

Clip vs direct tie for throwing lures in the surf? I've never used clips, but that would be awesome to not have to tie evertime especially while using a leader. Do clips have any drawbacks in terms of decreasing action or anything?

I always use clips but the only downside that can be possible is you will use that clip and the line that is tied to the clip for multi fishing outings fishing with a weak or fray end section of line. But when you tie direct you are always examining that area of line and using a clean piece of line... 

I used to only tie direct because it’s one less thing to fail but retying constantly and adding new leader frequently gets annoying and costly if you fish a lot so I’ve been fishing TA clips for years. They bend after using them for too long and clipping on bigger eyelet plugs and can snap although never happened on a fish, only while replacing a plug. I think they actually improve lure action on most lures and are very convenient for quickly switching lures, especially at night 

Definitely makes sense to change the knot on the clip after every outing and having to add a new leader and having retie so often is very annoying. I'm definitely going to order Some TA clips and try them out. Thanks guys!

Only down side is it def possible for a fish to turn just right and unclip your plug .. out of like 15 years using them and thousands and thousands of fish I’ve had it happen exactly twice so ...one was a huge blue mid air watched him and my lure go one way while my line flew slack other way .. other was middle of night like 2am in west end jetty slaying bass and all the wanted was one specific darter .. had like fish number 30 unclip in and didn’t have another on me . Tossed the bag and couldn’t get bit almost did the 5 mile round trip walk back to car for another 

I use clips I tried the TA several times and the only downside is removing thick eyed lures like some bucktails, I have been using some other brands which are softer. One other concern with TAs is the bright silver color, I prefer the other brand's brown finish, not as conspicuous.

That silver clip won’t deter fish any more than those silver hooks do. If anything, they might bring attention to the plug. Tins catch fish, flies and tails with flash catch fish. Don’t worry about it. 

I only carry a few rods on the kayak.

I tie direct with my senko/jig rod and use clips on my topwater/crankbait rod. 

28 mins ago, baldwin said:

That silver clip won’t deter fish any more than those silver hooks do. If anything, they might bring attention to the plug. Tins catch fish, flies and tails with flash catch fish. Don’t worry about it. 

Totally agree!  My last Albie from a boat, was caught while the other guy (a nonbeliever) was trying to tie on an Albie Snax.  

I thought clips were the best thing eva when I discovered them years ago and if you use a swivel with the split ring you'll never have any issues

Absolutely no down side for using tactical anglers clip. Pros- never having to cut your leader and tying knots every time you change an lure. And it doesn’t effect the swimming action either, and they don’t open up on you while fighting a big fish. Unless your using bootleg clips   

Breakaway #50's on most plugs, when bigger ones are needed #80's. The 50's are small and light and do not affect action on most Sb size plugs.

10 hours ago, baldwin said:

Exactly my point,  blues will attack anything bright at times. A few years ago during a frenzy I lost 3 poppers, 3 fish on 3 casts. The last one was at my feet, I was about to grab the leader when another fish hit the front of the plug and cut me off. That big bright clip must have added to the attraction.

I use a ta clip 99 percent of the time.  The only time I find tying direct is beneficial is for floating bucktails under tuff conditions.  I can usually float a bucktail with no issue using a ta clip.  It's only with high winds or cross wind when I can't feel what the bucktail is doing that I tie direct.