ThrowinPlugs

Looking to upgrade my FF, whatcha like?

5 posts in this topic

Currently running a lowrance hook 4 (not 4x) on both my hobies. I like it, but I feel like its super touchy at times and I end up always going into like infinite loops when changing settings. Looking to maybe upgrade to something a little bigger, maybe with side scan capability and GPS. I'd like to stay under $400 if possible, and wanna be able to still use the hobie transducer cover. Thoughts? 

I just ordered a Humminbird Helix 5 for the yak. Has Chirp, DI, GPS, maps. was $350. I can't say if I like it as it won't be here until tomorrow, but it has some nice features. If you don't need all of those features the Humminbird Piranha 4 looked decent.

SI would of been nice, I just didn't want to spend that much on something that might easily get stolen or broken. I didn't see any units with sidescan under $450.

14 hours ago, ThrowinPlugs said:

and wanna be able to still use the hobie transducer cover. Thoughts? 

Based on my research, the Side Imaging transducer needs to be below the bottom of the hull, whilst the Hobie standard cover is pretty much flush. Didn’t test myself, went straight to the Berley SI cover plate ... hope that wasn’t a waste of $70 :eek:

I have a lowrance hook2 7. It’s good with the side scan but you gotta buy a separate transducer plate even on the Hobie because the transducer is big