plugchucker

Plugs for wild trout, what ya like?

10 posts in this topic

Wild trout on a plug are on this year’s bucket list for me. I’ve caught trout ( not wild) on spinners and trout magnets. Catching native/ wild fish on a plug seems more challenging to me. Any size, color or brand you guys prefer? Thanks

Posted (edited) · Report post

I will say that wild trout are way different then the garden stock variety. They :box:like no other then pure steelheads that I catch in Pulaski NY. As far as plugs fishing for them. Its definitely the way to go if your spin fishing. 

Edited by vce12342000

Plenty of info in this thread regarding your question.  

‘’It might be helpful to say what rivers you plan to fish.  

Edited by NewAtIt

Wild trout feed on invertebrates like bugs leeches, and crayfish and various prey fish like chubs, dace, darters, sculpins, and fall fish. While I mostly use shallow running minnow style lures, there have been times when a small square bill will do a number on really big trout because they also love crayfish.

I look at a number of things when I pick a crank/jerk bait for trout.

1. Lure Running Depth - Most dive about  1-3 '.

2. Lure Action-  I generally choose lures with a rolling action that creates a lot of flash.

3. Lure Finish- match the hatch- most river prey fish are gold or silver with a black, brown, or an olive back.

4. Lure weight transfer systems that improve casting distance and accuracy - Stealth is one of the keys to fooling big trout.

5. Pressure fisheries - Novel presentation may work better like larger lures, smaller lures, or square bills.

6. Some crank and jerk baits come in fast floating, slow floating, suspending, slow sinking and fast sinking models- they all have their applications and with experience you will learn how to use them and when.

7. Lure Length - generally 2" to 4-1/2".

Edited by Jay Blair

I find this interesting. I've always used flies for wild trout. Around here a native is 6-8 inches and live in very skinny water. I'd probably go for a small original rapala or something similar.

These are 2 of the smaller trout of the 8 I caught today with the same rapala countdown . I used size 1 and 3 for rivers and 5 for lakes . In freshwater I pretty much only use these and a rooster tail . These fish are not wild but the countdowns work well for the wilds I catch ( only size 1)

IMG_2908.jpg

IMG_2909.jpg

Edited by chris L
brain cell loss

9 hours ago, chris L said:

These are 2 of the smaller trout of the 8 I caught today with the same rapala countdown . I used size 1 and 3 for rivers and 5 for lakes . In freshwater I pretty much only use these and a rooster tail . These fish are not wild but the countdowns work well for the wilds I catch ( only size 1)

IMG_2908.jpg

IMG_2909.jpg

nice.....

I agree with the above post, had good luck with mini rapala countdowns and floaters, was all in with rapalas until I found out about live targets lures. These ones look just like the minnows these wild salmonoids feed on, matching the hatch so to say.  I have a pair of the silver black, silver blue and gold black, they are 2.75" long and will sink a bit, not as fast as the countdown nor as deep as the countdown will continue to fall and they do not float like the floating raps so I can cast right tight to shore and let the current pull it almost like drifting a spawn bag/fly and the line pull form the current gets it moving. I find that with these 3 colours I can usually match something forage based from the local water Im fishing and they are small enough and light enough they don't create too much disturbance but just enough, great finish on them too. Also have good luck with mini rebels in the 2.5" range. Oddly enough I have also tried low end walmart minnows and they work too. Oh and I have also used all these lures on my downriggers for spring salmon and lakers up to 10lbs so they can handle bigger fish than wild run stream fish.