TimS

So new cardiologist says I need by pass surgery

Rate this topic

203 posts in this topic

26 mins ago, TimS said:

Dr Litsky is my new guy :th:  He saved @diggers life a couple year back...I like the guy and trust him. My last doctor not so much... 

You're in great hands!  Again, please feel free to use me as a resource . . . it was only 3 years ago for me, age 56, and still fresh in my mind.  Not a horrible experience at all . . . cardiac floor at JSMC was phenomenal, it's a relatively new floor and the ventilation system brings in fresh air rather than recycled.  I had my surgery 5/15/17 and by July I was running again . . . by fall I was full swing into fishing with no limitations.   

hey tim I didn't read it all but my co worker just had by pass done as he had two blocked ages.   he left work Friday , had it done Saturday and was back at work Wednesday on light duty.

good luck.   these ops seem second nature today.

3 hours ago, scoobydoo said:

In all seriousness....  It is strange....all the doc's can order the same tests and can make the same recommendations...and I would assume are looking at the same data..how do they read the same sentence so differently....

One was looking short term...one long term. I get it. Even the first doctor didn't rule out surgery, he sent me to cardiac rehab for three months to see if I could live with the new 'normal' or if we should do the surgery. I kicked ass at the rehab...but that doesn't change the reality that my arteries are gonna continue to get worse. This doctor showed me on video where the blockages are building and which ones concern him and why. 

Another reason why I'm leaning towards the surgery is the medication has been torturing me...makes me nauseous three or four days a week. And in five months we've had to double one of them as my body builds a tolerance to it. I can't imagine what kinda dosages I'd be at in a few years...and it already makes me nauseous :squid: Surgery means I can ditch these meds...this nausea really needs to stop :th:

TimS

2 mins ago, TimS said:

One was looking short term...one long term. I get it. Even the first doctor didn't rule out surgery, he sent me to cardiac rehab for three months to see if I could live with the new 'normal' or if we should do the surgery. I kicked ass at the rehab...but that doesn't change the reality that my arteries are gonna continue to get worse. This doctor showed me on video where the blockages are building and which ones concern him and why. 

Another reason why I'm leaning towards the surgery is the medication has been torturing me...makes me nauseous three or four days a week. And in five months we've had to double one of them as my body builds a tolerance to it. I can't imagine what kinda dosages I'd be at in a few years...and it already makes me nauseous :squid: Surgery means I can ditch these meds...this nausea really needs to stop :th:

TimS

Have you lost weight?  Do you feel stronger?  

Can we have a party before you get the surgery and one after?

3 hours ago, C-Fish said:

Road Trip to the Cleveland Clinic!!! I'll drive. Rated the #1 heart hospital in the nation for close to 20 years. I can get you to the head of cardiology, the guy at the top. What do you say, Timmah?

Tempting...I bet the drive home would suck :laugh:  How many hours in the car with a freshly split open chest? :scared:   I can walk home from Jersey Shore if necessary ;)

TimS

3 mins ago, TimS said:

TimS

Kick it’s ass ,  my uncle had quadruple bypass in January .... cracked his chest and all , he’s cruising around like a champ at 68 and says he never felt better , I’ve got issues I’m pretty worried about , can’t get a stress test until July through my primary.....man I hate to go to the ER.

17 hours ago, ASrod said:

Don’t **** around, get that thing operated on.

And leave me the keys to the site while you’re recovering. I’ll make sure this place is lit by the time you come back.

We're good. My master key's a little dusty, but I think it still works, and if not, I know chumfish's is up to date. :th: 

St. Francis Heart Centre in Roslyn is as good as it gets, Tim. I'd seek an opinion there, if your insurance will cover it. Good luck. I'll poke around a little more often if you do go under the knife.

Too bad you can't get it done over here---we've got a world class heart care place in my city, and it would probably cost you less than a couple of Franklins.

2 hours ago, makorider said:

I don't know jack on this, but why if its not an immediate need can't they do angioplasty or one of the other less invasive options?

Both doctors said stents/angioplasty won't work...actually, including the doctor that did my cath, three doctors said that wouldn't work. 

TimS

Just now, Ditch Jigger said:

We're good. My master key's a little dusty, but I think it still works, and if not, I know chumfish's is up to date. :th: 

St. Francis Heart Centre in Roslyn is as good as it gets, Tim. I'd seek an opinion there, if your insurance will cover it. Good luck. I'll poke around a little more often if you do go under the knife.

Too bad you can't get it done over here---we've got a world class heart care place in my city, and it would probably cost you less than a couple of Franklins.

Ditch! Long time no see! How’s Europe treating you?

It hasn't killed me, so that's a big plus. I might not have been so lucky if I opted for Italy or Spain. The government here dealt with is pretty well.

4 mins ago, Ditch Jigger said:

It hasn't killed me, so that's a big plus. I might not have been so lucky if I opted for Italy or Spain. The government here dealt with is pretty well.

Do you still ride your bike?  Since I don't have to drive to work I have had the time to start riding again and I love it.   I am at 546 miles so far this year.