So new cardiologist says I need by pass surgery

Rate this topic

TimS

14 hours ago, Dieseldog13 said:

Just a thought, could you safely wait until Covid-19 is pretty much out of the hospitals? 

Yes...already the plan...told him I’m not going into any hospital right now unless the paramedics drag me in there :th: 

Show someone how to catch striped bass and they'll be ready to fish anywhere.
Show someone where to go striped bass fishing and you'll have a desperate report chaser with loose lips.

Best wishes Tim. If needed, it is better to do it while younger as others have said.

No worries man, you are a youngster. 

Lost half of one of my lungs and was out of the hospital in three days and biking within seven.

If i can do it, I am sure you can also.

:howdy:

Edited by CATCHnRELEASE

(*member formerly known as 'sevenxseventy01')

7 hours ago, 2sammich said:

Good luck with this Tim....

Why the big disparity in the 2 docs opinions? Isn't this kind of thing pretty straight forward? 

Have you seen the new Mid Engine corvette????

(first Doc already has one)

In all seriousness....  It is strange....all the doc's can order the same tests and can make the same recommendations...and I would assume are looking at the same data..how do they read the same sentence so differently....

"Panacheless is no way to go through life"

Tims

Not gonna give advice....not my place....and there's been tons already...All I can say is I know you'll get out on the other end of this thing better than you went in.

FWIW....My grandfather had a triple bypass back in the 80s/ 90s

They even forgot to snip the wire tag.....and you could see it sticking out his chest till the day he died.

He played 5-7 rounds of golf per week in FL and drank a bottle of scotch every week until his late eighties.....He passed 3 years ago at 93

"Panacheless is no way to go through life"

Tims

I'm far from involved in this matter but its disturbing even to those of us at a distance. Everybody has experiences, stories, doctors, hospitals, but it all comes down to the individual and the options that best fit the situation and patient. This is for Tim and Carole to decide, our advice/opinions are valued, without them things could be overlooked, thats our value here as well as providing moral and spiritual support. 

I think the majority feel that at least one more opinion is necessary, not that your looking for the one doc that says why would you consider surgery, we can treat you with medicines, exercise and diet, but that could be a viable option. In addition, Tims thousand year old former cardio guy may have been old, that doesn't make him wrong or incompetent. As an oldtimer told me years ago when we were discussing women in their 50's and 60's, at that time Icouldn't imagine sex was even considered for women that old,"theres many a fine tune in an old fiddle". So, the old doc may be old school, but those of us wise enough to know that sure enough" there are many a fine tune in old fiddles".

As for doc's, hospitals and recovery, that all needs to be discussed and planned, as stated theres enough success and horror stories for every doctor and hospital in the nation.

Tim and Carole will digest their options and decide what they think works best for them with help from family, friends and faith. 

"Thats as big as a fish that size gets" - Russ Wilson
RIP JM

Best of luck and prayers to you and Carole.   I'm confident whatever decision you make will be well-informed and best for you and your family.

I'm in the camp to have it, if truly needed, sooner than later while you're young for a better and speedier recovery.

Edited by GeoffT

Which hospital and which surgeon has done the most of this exact same operation within the past three years?  This is the one I'd ask for an opinion.  Geography is moot.  Assuming your prognosis is stable, consider scheduling the operation after a COVID-19 vaccine has been used widely for at least a year. 

Like fishing . . . with more experience the probability of a better result increases.  You're a smart guy.  You'll be fine.

Regards,

GE

9 hours ago, cartopper said:

Had mine 3 years ago, a 6x CABG . . . I was asymptomatic.  Not necessarily agreeing with the opinion here to go to “the big city”.  Jersey Shore has one of the best cardiac floors in the region.  My doc is a young guy, 43-44 years old out of Monmouth Cardiology, Dr Jason Litsky.

Dr Litsky is my new guy :th:  He saved @diggers life a couple year back...I like the guy and trust him. My last doctor not so much... 

Show someone where to go striped bass fishing and you'll have a desperate report chaser with loose lips.

7 hours ago, 2sammich said:

Good luck with this Tim....

Why the big disparity in the 2 docs opinions? Isn't this kind of thing pretty straight forward? 

Not a great disparity...my original doctor said we would do the cardiac rehab to determine if surgery was a better option than medication. I did 60% of the cardiac rehab and rocked it. I get 30-60 minutes of cardio every day now.  I’m eating better and am more active than in years. It’s not a great disparity...new doctor is basically saying why put off what is inevitable? He showed me footage from my catheterization, showed me the bad spots where there is already narrowing going on...he says eventually I’m gonna need this surgery...maybe at 65...maybe 75...maybe in a year...but why not do it while I’m healthy. Makes sense to me....