TimS

So new cardiologist says I need by pass surgery

Rate this topic

203 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, C-Fish said:

Road Trip to the Cleveland Clinic!!! I'll drive. Rated the #1 heart hospital in the nation for close to 20 years. I can get you to the head of cardiology, the guy at the top. What do you say, Timmah?

25 mins ago, Ditch Jigger said:

We're good. My master key's a little dusty, but I think it still works, and if not, I know chumfish's is up to date. :th: 

St. Francis Heart Centre in Roslyn is as good as it gets, Tim. I'd seek an opinion there, if your insurance will cover it. Good luck. I'll poke around a little more often if you do go under the knife.

Too bad you can't get it done over here---we've got a world class heart care place in my city, and it would probably cost you less than a couple of Franklins.

Who are you again?? :huh: 

Hey Timmy!  

I've been kinda off the grid the last week or so.......I'm a heart patient and I think I've  let that be known before.   

I had a massive heart attack on my main artery one day before the Boston Marathon Bombings.

Fortunately for myself I was blessed with first responders and an incredible heart surgeon along with his team!

Do not let what happened to me. happen to you.   

The odds are very bad!!!!    Fly!!!!!!

48 mins ago, crazybellringer said:

Do you still ride your bike?  Since I don't have to drive to work I have had the time to start riding again and I love it.   I am at 546 miles so far this year. 

Weather permitting--which basically means May-October. :laugh: 

16 mins ago, Ditch Jigger said:

Weather permitting--which basically means May-October. :laugh: 

I did 4 rides in January.  It was probably mid 50s and 60's  

Posted (edited) · Report post

January i was skiing.

Started in late April and completed 500 miles today. I am trying to pick up my pace by doing shorter  rides....

I do not think it is working.....with 1/2 out of the 22 to go today, i get passed by a younger rider like i was a snail. 

Tim, get it done asap and good luck.

Look what the dog bought home.....the one and only Ditch Digger.

:rav:

Edited by CATCHnRELEASE

1 hour ago, Ditch Jigger said:

We're good. My master key's a little dusty, but I think it still works, and if not, I know chumfish's is up to date. :th: 

St. Francis Heart Centre in Roslyn is as good as it gets, Tim. I'd seek an opinion there, if your insurance will cover it. Good luck. I'll poke around a little more often if you do go under the knife.

Too bad you can't get it done over here---we've got a world class heart care place in my city, and it would probably cost you less than a couple of Franklins.

It was 30 years plus Finland had a huge issue with heart disease..if I remember right... whole nation went on a different diet kick and all..

Been to one of the hospitals in Tampere...  real nice...

Second, third opinions can be helpful or totally confusing.  It can be a tough decision to make.  I had a heart attack 26 years ago and wasn't offered any opinion, straight to the hospital with no prior symptoms.  I was just released from the hospital this past Saturday from an episode last week.  Woke up feeling hyper that proceeded into chest pain, rescue came and set up ekg and my heart rate was 350 (not a typo).  Did I say chest pain?  The episode shut itself down in the rescue and my heart rate went back to normal, luckily.   After I was catheterized the cardiologist said I needed a pacemaker and defibrillator, he also said I was welcome to get a second opinion but do it quickly, heart rates like that won't wait around long for an opinion.  So now I am sitting here with an incision on my shoulder, a titanium 3oz lump in my chest, can't drive  and my fishing poles gathering dust.  Opinions don't cost that much, they are actually free here.  Good luck.

Tim, my wife went through this as a double under emergency style circumstances. She went in for a stent and I was pulled into a room with her and the doctors. They stopped the procedure and there was no turning around. Either do this now or tomorrow wouldn’t exist. Her artery was tearing apart and leaking. You have a lot of notice to understand the procedure, you most likely watched a video of it too. We never had that chance. Most individuals are scheduled like yours. Your emotions and your wife’s will take over at times. Be patient, both of you. 

The first week is the worst. They want you up and moving, not sitting idle. They will have you up quick. After the week in hospital you will be home and under visiting nurses care. Those first weeks home you will need someone there 24/7, now granted if the other has to run out quick that is not a problem. Best bet is to buy a power assist recliner, it will help you get up and walking. I found one at a second hand store. You’ll find you will be sleeping in it too. Trying to get out of bed with your chest cut is not an easy feat. My wife tried it once and not again for some time. It was probably a month before she could be in bed. After that cardiac rehab will follow. She is not on blood thinners, just basic low dose aspirin. 

The vein they take for the bypass, that cut will hurt a lot too. My wife swears it hurt worse than the chest being cut. The chest tube locations will take more time to heal than you’d imagine they will. I was asked if I’d like to leave the room when they did that. I choose to watch, very stick around. Curious person that I am. 

Get a shower seat too. I just bought a simple folding poly chair. It will help your wife to assist you to shower. You’ll be able to sit and with help be able to get back up. Get a good large shower mat so you have a larger non slip floor. 

When it come to your personal rehab and walking. Don’t expect great distances being covered. You’ll make it out the door and to the end of the drive. Have someone hold your hand to help the balance and walking. Have them close to you, it is a lot of work to get though that. 

You wont be driving for a month. I did take her out for a drive better than a month later to get out and away for the home. Dr visits are fine for you to get in a vehicle, but you’ll need to be in the backseat.

You will be given a heart shaped pillow to hold to your chest to keep your hand and arms away for you pushing off the armrest of the chairs. Use it, it does help to grasp it and help relieve some of the pain of the chest as you move. You don’t want to open the internal incisions or you’ll be back on hospital. Pushing off a seated position or reaching down to move a lever for your chair recliner can tear the incision.  

Next to the chair I placed a small table. It has enough space for a water tumbler with straw. The aluminum ones are great they keep water cold for hours. A phone charger, I pad charger and room for a book or two. It became very handy for her. We had a routine going. I’d be up and fill her water container, breakfast and in the evening, fill the water prior to bed. We left a light on and cleared the floor of any obstacles. This made a night run to the bathroom safer. 

I hope you have speedy recovery. Best of luck. 

The relationship you have with your doc is important, if you are confident in him and know his experience use him.  My wife's cancer we were told to go to the city.  She is not a city gal, the doc that did her procedure (HIPEC) was doing the procedure 3 years longer than The city folks.  She stayed in Poughkeepsie and got the best care I think she could have received! So stick to who you are comfortable with.  I agree with the do it now, the day the heat attack hits is waiting just one day too long.  Be young be healthy, save all that cardiac tissue and live a less worried when the other shoe will drop life.  

On 5/21/2020 at 2:54 PM, coolhandfluke said:

hey tim I didn't read it all but my co worker just had by pass done as he had two blocked ages.   he left work Friday , had it done Saturday and was back at work Wednesday on light duty.

good luck.   these ops seem second nature today.

You sure it was bypass surgery, usually a week before you can even walk without assistance, forget work?

On 5/21/2020 at 4:43 PM, TimS said:

Both doctors said stents/angioplasty won't work...actually, including the doctor that did my cath, three doctors said that wouldn't work. 

TimS

Well, you don't need anymore opinions, just a question of when. Smart move waiting for Covid to subside, don't need to compound the issue

Tim, please do what needs to be done and dont mess around. I dont want to be without your company.  Thats it!  You play it right and we got at least 50 more years doing what we do. Happy holiday weekend to you and yours!  :howdy:

Just seeing this thread now...

I have to agree with Tom... get another opinion from one of the NYC doctors. 

On 5/20/2020 at 6:00 PM, TimS said:

Kinda caught me off guard since the last

one said I should be fine with medication and exercise. This one says medication is just gonna put off the inevitable need for bypass surgery. Says I’d be better off with surgery now, while I’m healthy rather than waiting till I’m 65-70 and then have emergency bypass surgery. Makes sense...but the thought of them cracking open my chest makes me a little nauseous :squid: 

Tim,

can you please share with us what the initial symptoms were that made you think you had to go to the doctor To have it checked out. 
Was it just a routine check up or were you feeling something unusual

thanks