Help in NJ

Rate this topic

occidentalist

Hey all.

I checked the newbie post which was amazing albeit very overwhelming for a noob. I was hoping someone could give me a recommendation.

I live in Jersey and would like to start fishing for stripers. Outside of boats, I'm guessing the best way is from shore.

Is there a rod reel that can pull equal duty on a boat as well as on shore?

The only rod I have is an ugly Stik gx2 casting rod. 6'6", medium heavy. Will this work or do I need a 7'+ surf rod?

I saw the reel recommendations but I wasn't sure of the size I would need. 5000? 6000? I'm looking for something under $150.

I think I'm good figuring out the rest of the gear but I just wanted to make sure I'm getting the right reel+rod.

Thanks!

I would not use a 6'6" casting rod off the beach, you are not going to get enough distance on your casts, even if you're comfortable with a bait caster. A proper 9-11' (spinning) surf rod would be much better.  All companies reel sizes vary, but I generally pick something that can hold 250-300 yards of 30 lbs braid. 

There really isn't an all around setup that covers all shore/boat fishing. A shorter rod (7ft or less) may be fine in some spots, but off the beach for striped bass it's out of place. And it's not just length that matters, rod choice would also depend on if you're casting bait or plugging.  

If I was to recommend a surf rod/reel to someone just getting started and not looking to spend too much, I personally would recommend an okuma rockaway rod (902 mh) and a Daiwa BG 4000. Would be decent quality, adequate for most shore based fishing, less than $200 for the combo, and would make a good backup setup if you got into it and wanted to upgrade. However, if you were planning on primarily using bait, this combo wouldn't be great for that.

Edited by C.Robin

You will need different rods for the boat vs the surf. You can however take one reel, like a 5000 size for example, and fish the surf or on a boat. Just take it off one rod and put it on the other. Did this for a few years as I was a young lad and newer to fishing.

Like others above said, a 9' rod would be ideal for the surf in NJ. 10' is good too. There are rods that can throw bait and lures, but they're not perfect. Meaning, they will need to be stiffer in order to toss heavy sinkers + bait, and that's not ideal for lure fishing. They'll cast lures, but you will sacrifice distance.

A longer rod, lets say 9-10', would give you optimal casting distance from shore. Often times the fish are within 40 yards but there are certainly many times where you need 100+ yds to hit the jackpot. The longer rod is also a great tool for leverage over waves and the lower angle from standing on the sand with the fish out front of you vs a boat where the fish is below you.

If you are willing to suffer in distance and leverage than you can fish with whatever you are confortable with. Make sure the rod has a rating that is sufficient enough to cast SP minnows, bombers, and magdarters. 

Learn to read the beach and find deeper pockets that are in tight to cast into and you will be successful.

If you are using a rod under 9' i would advise that you use a 4000 size reel for comfort and balance. That size reel can generally handle 95% of the bass and blues swimming in our coastline. If you lose a larger fish than you will probably have enough reason to upgrade to a surf rod and larger reel.

also Id note that 20# braid is plenty for what you want to accomplish.

Go to your local tackle shop when the world opens back up, not only will get guidance you’ll be able to put your hands on the rods. Hate to see you spend good money on a rod that is recommended here and find out it’s not a good fit for you. Grumpy’s Tackle is a great shop

The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever~Jacques Yves Cousteau

I would spend my money on a 9' surf rod of good quality, new or used, a good reel such as a shimano spheros or penn slammer and buy a cheap 7' spinning rod for the boat and swap the reel between the two.The rod is much more important at this point for the surf. You go to the fish with a boat.

12 hours ago, occidentalist said:

Hey all.

I checked the newbie post which was amazing albeit very overwhelming for a noob. I was hoping someone could give me a recommendation.

I live in Jersey and would like to start fishing for stripers. Outside of boats, I'm guessing the best way is from shore.

Is there a rod reel that can pull equal duty on a boat as well as on shore?

The only rod I have is an ugly Stik gx2 casting rod. 6'6", medium heavy. Will this work or do I need a 7'+ surf rod?

I saw the reel recommendations but I wasn't sure of the size I would need. 5000? 6000? I'm looking for something under $150.

I think I'm good figuring out the rest of the gear but I just wanted to make sure I'm getting the right reel+rod.

Thanks!

Same in North Jersey and I am using 9 and 10 foot rod for bank fishing. Most of the time I throw bait and wait. If you do the same, Okuma longitude 9/10 foot should be good to go. I am using the bait runner reel from okuma too(ABF 40), Total would be under 100. If you plan lure fishing, I think you need to buy a good 9-11 foot light weight rod which you can throw several hours and still not tired. Okuma rockaway would be a good optioni near $100. reel maybe penn spinfisher 3500/4500, daiwa bg 3000/4000. 

I'll disagree just a bit.

It's better to use different rods for surf and for boat.  But, depending on the boat, it's not completely necessary.

Surf is the bigger challenge, rod-wise.  So follow the advice and get a 9 or 10 foot surf rod, suitable to the luires that you want to throw.

If you have to, unless you're fishing from a boat where quarters are tight--outriggers, antennas, a cabin, etc.--you can use the same 9-footer as a boat rod.  When I was young, I had a 9 1/2-foot surf spinning rod, rated for 1 to 3 oz lures and 10 to 20 pound line, that I used for everything.  I used it from the shore, and I used it for multiple boat applications.  I chunked for bass and bluefish with it.  I trolled sandworms around the rocks for stripers with it.  I livelined bunker with it. I drifted for fluke with it. I diamond jigged mackerel (with the full 4-dropper "Christmas Tree") with it.  I trolled plugs for bluefish with it  I cast poppers for bluefish with it, and I cast bucktails for bass with it.

And I caught a lot of fish, and a lot of quality fish, with it.  Blues close to 20, bass close to 50, none of which knew that they were being caught on the "wrong" sort of rod to use from a boat.

It was originally paired with a Mitchell 306, later with a Penn 704, always with 12, 14 or 15 pound line.

If you can afford it, you're better with two different rods, one dedicated to the surf, one to boats.

But if you're a little short of cash, buy a decent surf rod, and make it do on the boat until you get the money for a decent boat rod.  You'll do fine.

Edited by CWitek

"I have always believed that outdoor writers who come out against fish and wildlife conservation are in the wrong business. To me, it makes as much sense golf writers coming out against grass.."  --  Ted Williams