Jteix

Taunton river

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

New member here! Hello to all, family and I moved to raynham this past winter, took my kid (fishing)* last night for some casts. Wasnt really thinking we would have any luck. Low and behold the kid catches a 9 or so lb striper. His first one mind you!! Wont lie when I say I was jealous haha, took me 28 years to catch my first striper. 

I'm looking for some input on other areas that's accessible as I'd like to keep him going with the fish fever. We were using plugs last night but curious what else might yield better results, what have you all had luck with? 

I'm not expecting to have tons of feed back as I understand the want to keep things hidden. But as a father asking other fathers I'm hopeful for something. Cheers stay safe out there! 

Edited by TimS
Please don’t post overly specific locations here - we don’t allow it - please be more general - thanks

Pick up some reading material (Skinner, Daignault) to give you insight about what your looking for. Not sure of your son’s age but sometimes you have to move to get a spot. Use google earth and look for inlets, drop offs, and boulder fields.

PM me when you get enough posts under your belt to do that. 
I have some info.

Nice job on getting your kid a nice striper!

My first striper came from the Taunton too!

I’ve lived in taunton the for past couple years and have been trying to learn the river myself . Still not much luck lol . Access can be tough. I fish mostly cape area beaches and canal . I’ve been trying to focus closer to home this season in which the Taunton river comes to play since i live 10 minutes from it . Things get can get real good When herring arrive . 

Most fishy spots on the river are hit or miss as schools race up and down with the tide.

The best and most consistent fishing is early spring (like now) for schoolies which can be a pretty good bet at estuary mouths on the right tides.

Larger fish can be had, but they are rare up in the shallower reaches.

The river is a place I'll hit when I only have an hour or two to get away and the tide is right.