Wilgabeast

Big Stripers

Rate this topic

75 posts in this topic

18 mins ago, Wilgabeast said:

Cough cough .....

Interesting,  just over 100 posts to your credit, and you're already disrespecting fishermen. Many of whom have been at it for over 50 years. 

1 hour ago, bob_G said:

Oh, so what you're saying is, most of the canal fishermen are largely unskilled? 

If you read your post it says MOST fisherman at canal are unskilled . And yes this would be accurate if you take a look at the whole mass of fisherman who storm the canal . Don’t get me wrong there are PLENTY of very skilled fisherman at the canal daily . I’m not disrespecting anyone Bob all I’m saying is that the canal is certainly a place where people can catch fish quite easily a lot of the time that could not find fish anywhere else on any normal basis . No disrespect to any fisherman . As long as they respect our resource that we love and cherish so much I have full respect for every angler and hope everyone catches fish 

Posted (edited) · Report post

On 5/28/2020 at 7:46 PM, Wilgabeast said:

If you read your post it says MOST fisherman at canal are unskilled . And yes this would be accurate if you take a look at the whole mass of fisherman who storm the canal . Don’t get me wrong there are PLENTY of very skilled fisherman at the canal daily . I’m not disrespecting anyone Bob all I’m saying is that the canal is certainly a place where people can catch fish quite easily a lot of the time that could not find fish anywhere else on any normal basis . No disrespect to any fisherman . As long as they respect our resource that we love and cherish so much I have full respect for every angler and hope everyone catches fish 

valid point...most of what you see down there couldnt catch a cold while dancing naked in the snow..beach fishing is a whole different ball game...the average ***** and ****** that we see arent going to your near by beaches or the way out ones for that matter and catching fish on a regular

Let's leave the ethnic slurs out of our posts, ok?

Edited by Ditch Jigger
ethnic slurs removed

I had a run in with a very large striper last weekend in upper Buzzards Bay, a fish I'll never forget.  I was catching fish 20 to 25 inch and then this big beast ate my plug at the boat, turned and swam away breaking my line.  My drag was too tight and since the fish ate it only 10 or 15 ft from the boat, there wasn't enough line to stretch and save me.  I estimated the fish was over 40 inches, maybe bigger.  It was bigger than any striper I've ever seen.  But it made short work of my 25lb Berkley big game line.  The best part is after the fish swam away my plug floated up with 20 ft or so of line still attached.

I still cant believe the power of that fish.  I'll be back out looking this weekend cause I know it will only get better.  Enjoy and be safe out there.

On 5/25/2020 at 6:46 AM, harley48 said:

Why thin out the GW shark population? They’re the only ones taking care of the seals

And the tourists.....:laugh:

21 mins ago, Southcoastphil said:

Wetsuit-wearing tourists? At night?

Ok......and those without a load of common sense......

On 5/30/2020 at 6:10 AM, Teambeefmaster said:

I had a run in with a very large striper last weekend in upper Buzzards Bay, a fish I'll never forget.  I was catching fish 20 to 25 inch and then this big beast ate my plug at the boat, turned and swam away breaking my line.  My drag was too tight and since the fish ate it only 10 or 15 ft from the boat, there wasn't enough line to stretch and save me.  I estimated the fish was over 40 inches, maybe bigger.  It was bigger than any striper I've ever seen.  But it made short work of my 25lb Berkley big game line.  The best part is after the fish swam away my plug floated up with 20 ft or so of line still attached.

I still cant believe the power of that fish.  I'll be back out looking this weekend cause I know it will only get better.  Enjoy and be safe out there.

Good job--I say that because you made a mistake, and recognized it for what it was. Lots of times, learning comes from mistakes we make that cost us good fish. The next one won't break your line.

On 5/29/2020 at 11:10 PM, Teambeefmaster said:

7 or 8 foot 25-30# mono or flouro leader so you have the stretch. Straight braid has zero give

1 hour ago, Seadogg said:

More movement in the right direction. Got into a solid topwater bite this afternoon.

A8EE0E87-F2F7-49A0-81EC-D7A186D9003B.jpeg

I see you were fishing in Vermont. Fine bassin state.

Nice fish, btw. Certainly gives me hope for my boulderfield trip tomorrow night 

Took my buddy out for a jumbo quest with topwater. Took us a little bit to locate them but we had a short, productive window before dark. Sorry for the sh*t photo, it was rough. 

565A0757-99D8-46F9-A05C-853B14165AB7.jpeg

Big fish are still around, but the numbers and frequency are continuing to drop. Regularly hooking a fish that pulls drag and gets the adrenaline flowing means wading through hours of shorts, scouting and more patience than some are willing to show. I kinda feel like we are at a breaking point for some anglers who may scale down their fishing or cut way back on time and $ spent on the sport.  
Yes, bigger fish may be a week or two late due to delayed spawn, but the fact that there are significantly fewer truly big fish is likely to be a bigger part of the equation. Time to get rid of conservation equivalency and other half measures and start talking moratorium and game fish status.  

Just saw this posted by a local guide who knows his stuff. Of 380 fish caught only 2 were small keepers, and this is a well respected guide and area.