Wilgabeast

Big Stripers

Rate this topic

57 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, l.i.fish.in.vt said:

What big fish?they have all been consumed.Up until 4 years ago all my big fish on the Cape were caught between may 12 and june 12. going back almost 20 years i fished both LI and the cape,and year in year out it was almost to the day that the bigfish showed up in both places and sometimes they were on the cape right before LI especially with a cold spring

This ! Everyone says it’s a slow spring...don’t hold your breath fellas....not many big fish left !  Sad, but that’s the truth !

10 mins ago, bob_G said:

I'm waiting for the 50-60 pounders.

It’s going to be awhile. Maybe 10 years if stocks rebuild...

96 was a big fish year....one after another..sometimes that's all there was on some nights...but we didn't brag or tell..same half mile stretch all season...right under every ones nose...incoming or outgoing...god that was a year to remember...all beach fish in chatham..

I’m pretty interested in the small fish I’ve been seeing.  Smallest stripers I’ve seen on Cape some barely 6” - makes me wonder if there is more local spawning (or more successful spawning) occurring than in years past.  

Or maybe I just got the stank on me... 

11 hours ago, l.i.fish.in.vt said:

Hey Pops,its been a while since i put a bend in that 1209 breakaway i got from you.It might even be an antique by now

Hello L.i.fish, that was a long time ago we traded the rod for some of your fine plugs.  I hope it has been kind to you.

i still have a handful of your plugs, and they are in the rotation. 

16 hours ago, Beomurf said:

I’m pretty interested in the small fish I’ve been seeing.  Smallest stripers I’ve seen on Cape some barely 6” - makes me wonder if there is more local spawning (or more successful spawning) occurring than in years past.  

Or maybe I just got the stank on me... 

I don't believe they're local.

You are right that they are some of the smallest spring fish I've seen on the Cape.    I don't even see them this small in the fall either.   Fall micros are common but these spring micros are a mystery......who knows maybe they are local.

I will say by observations that they are aggressive and will hit topwater even during midday tides.

They were so small that a lot of the hookups were dropped.....I'm talking Zoom Superflukes too.   

Big girls during the early spring, this time of year has thinned out dramatically over the last 5 years in most of my areas.  

I now don't expect anything semi large to show up until the June New Moon when the big girls leave the Block.

On 5/21/2020 at 9:15 PM, capesams said:

96 was a big fish year....one after another..sometimes that's all there was on some nights...but we didn't brag or tell..same half mile stretch all season...right under every ones nose...incoming or outgoing...god that was a year to remember...all beach fish in chatham.. 

My dream scenario.