Wilgabeast

Big Stripers

Rate this topic

57 posts in this topic

When do you guys think the 20 lb plus’s class stripers will show up in buzzards bay and cape cod ?! I’m hoping this weekend sometime with the new moon and the biomass of big bait showing up rite now . Squid mackerel bunker herring , it’s all here just waiting for the big girls to show

2 hours ago, stripedbassjeff said:

It's a bit behind right now. Most places from here to rhoad island are seeing just a hand full of keepers. Never mind something 20 pds.

Rhode Island seems to be lacking bigger spring bass the last few years . Usually once the mackerel move in On the cape in numbers the bass are just a few days to a week behinds 

25 mins ago, FishermanTim said:

Maybe before Phase II takes affect? (2-3 weeks)

They need to quarantine for 14 days for every state they travel through. It will be a while longer. 

They are already there, which a lot of people don't know.  Tony Stetzko and I used to always fish together in Mid May on the outer cape.  Had the entire stretch of nauset all to ourselves.  He told me there was always an early push of fish each year, followed by a two week lull and then a full assault of fish in June. Boy do I miss those days with him...

I’ve seen a few 20-pounders during the last few days While sight fishing but the majority of fish are still the 18 to 30-inch class. Feels like we’re nearly 2 weeks behind. Any time now it’ll turn right on. 

I remember one year a lot of big bass are migrating at the out skirts of the cape and not a lot went through the canal. It was strange weather that year.

5 hours ago, 27conch said:

They are already there, which a lot of people don't know.  Tony Stetzko and I used to always fish together in Mid May on the outer cape.  Had the entire stretch of nauset all to ourselves.  He told me there was always an early push of fish each year, followed by a two week lull and then a full assault of fish in June. Boy do I miss those days with him...

Miss fishing that area of the cape They just made it such a pain with all the Trail and beach closings. 

Sandbars, it was unbelievable fishing when I was there, but this was 10 years ago + now.  Back then, no seals, no sharks and as soon as the sun started to dip, all the bass that were at the pot line, moved into the beach. It was a magical time and I was fortunate to fish it with a legend and one of the nicest people that I have ever met.  I haven't been back since Tony's passing. 

27 mins ago, 27conch said:

Sandbars, it was unbelievable fishing when I was there, but this was 10 years ago + now.  Back then, no seals, no sharks and as soon as the sun started to dip, all the bass that were at the pot line, moved into the beach. It was a magical time and I was fortunate to fish it with a legend and one of the nicest people that I have ever met.  I haven't been back since Tony's passing. 

Heard he was a good guy never fished with him myself. I was fishing that area and Monomoy a lot back in the early 2000s and on. The fishing In that area at the time was some of the best on the striper coast. Will never forget those times myself it was an incredible time.

What big fish?they have all been consumed.Up until 4 years ago all my big fish on the Cape were caught between may 12 and june 12. going back almost 20 years i fished both LI and the cape,and year in year out it was almost to the day that the bigfish showed up in both places and sometimes they were on the cape right before LI especially with a cold spring