Surfrat815

June new moon strategies?

Rate this topic

24 posts in this topic

How do you guys approach this "magic moon"? I'm looking for a monster this year so Im probably leaving the plug bag at home and cheating by throwing eels LOL

19 mins ago, Goldy said:

Depends where you are for the 'magic moon'

Where I am, it's near the end

I'm in MA right on Boston Harbor. Last year lost a real pig on the night of the new moon. Not making that mistake this year lol

4 mins ago, Surfrat815 said:

I'm in MA right on Boston Harbor. Last year lost a real pig on the night of the new moon. Not making that mistake this year lol

Yeah,, In Jersey its essentially over

Got several pigs in one night during new moon tides, my rule of thumb is getting a night tide where wind & tide is going in the same direction so you have to decide what area your going to fish wether it's Northshore or Southshore.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Throw eels. It’s not cheating. You still need to know how to locate them, eels or not. 

Im convinced there’s spots, especially transitional highways with not much structure, where fish will only take eels. I’ve pounded these spots for close to 20 years. I can literally count on one hand how many good nights I’ve had at one spot on plugs. Not a touch. Throw an eel and the fish and you could be in for treat. 

Is a rigged eel cheating? Is an eel Bob? The surf game is hard enough as it is these days.  If you can locate big fish, you’ve already won most most of the battle.  It’s then up to you do it whatever it takes to stick and then land them, IMO 

*disclaimer: canal fish don’t count  

Edited by rbart

Find the fish first. Use a "search bait", SS darter or bucktail to locate fish. Figure out where the big girls will be sitting. They'll be in the calm water and eddies waiting for the bait to get pushed to them. Then feed them an eel.

Start fishing your go to spots a few weeks before the moon, try to find some patterns that give you different options based on tide or time of day then hope there's not a big storm to screw things up... then hit it hard the week before and after the moon. 

45 mins ago, Sandbar1 said:

Find the fish first. Use a "search bait", SS darter or bucktail to locate fish. Figure out where the big girls will be sitting. They'll be in the calm water and eddies waiting for the bait to get pushed to them. Then feed them an eel.

Love that last sentence. Gets the blood boiling. Thump!

11 mins ago, rbart said:

Love that last sentence. Gets the blood boiling. Thump!

Feel that thump and bow to the cow!

10 hours ago, Surfrat815 said:

You didn’t lose a nice fish, you just released it early. My thought is, a bend it the rod and a few cranks on the reel, good for me.

I'm going with my proven tactic of going low and slow in the rips.

some of Andy's darters some northbars and some casting swimmers.

will also have,like any other time a few of my own large surface swimmers and subsurface swimmers.

oh yeah,cannot forget 2 creek chub giant pikies as well,,,,all will be with me!

HH