planter

Backing or not?

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

In general i like to put enough backing on most of my reels and then top it right off with a 150yd box of braid. I'm not catching a lot of fish that are going to get anywhere near my backing. The Abu 7000HSN and a Penn GT high speed that I'd like to back so that topping it off with 300yrds of braid fills it right up. I've always used dacron for spinning and conventional gear. Having a few spare spools for the BG's, Stradics spinners makes it easier for sure. Do you guys back or just put on as much braid as it takes and if you do back are you using mono or dacron. I'm not cheap and waste plenty of money on doodads that are not necessary. (Still looking for a braid clipper that keeps on clicking). I just have hate having partial boxes of expensive braids. Anyone? Thanks

I just put some backing on a 4500 Spinfisher because I thought it would take more than 300 yards of Diawa 30 lb. braid. Turns out the 300 yd. spool was more than enough and not wanting to waste any fancy new braid, tried to take the backing off and put the braid back on. Now I need to buy more braid.

Depends on you really. If you want as much braid as possible, use a tiny bit of mono backing or tape. If you don't want more braid than you need, use more backing. 

Example. For my lighter trout rod I use more backing because I don't need a lot of braid for light inshore fishing. On one of my spinning rods I do a tiny bit of backing and as much braid as possible since it'll be used for a variety of large fish. 

I guess i will put the 150 or 300yds on braid on the level winds FIRST and them fill the spool with backing. Probably going to just use mono as backing. Its not like i have a shortage of equipment.  TY...

Depends on your fishing needs and your reels….

I am using tape on all my big reels and minimum 300 yards or more of bride for distance casting (zero backing).

Easy calculation I can cast 150+ yards plus and fish can pull another ~100 yards then is a ~50 yards left only on the spool. 

On the small reels (no distance required) I am using tape and mono for backing to fit a 150 yards of braid.

I back all my reels and use minimum of 200-300 yards of braid, no f420ish is getting to my backing and I use to the backing to ensure the braid is sticking and puffing up the spool a little to save on braid, not that I'm cheap I just find myself respooling often and I have yet to buy a bulk spool and can't decide on one since if been fishing with a few different brands. I used to always pack the spool with a tiny bit of mono all braid. Once in a pinch I went to a local tackle shop with just my backing and I asked him to fill it with braid, he looked at me and was like "fill it??" He said most guys will do a decent amount of backing then braid, save some money and more practical. That was my realization.