Dustyn

Cts Vapor Trail 10' 1.5 - 3 oz

Rate this topic

58 posts in this topic

On 6/24/2020 at 11:16 AM, Local66 said:

Apples/Oranges. Ever had a bass dislocate one of your ribs on the strike? The diameter of the blank is just as unsettling as the ferrule. I can tell you guys really like these blanks, but it's a bad fit for what I do. I have plenty of other rods.

I have the same reservations about 50/50 splits that you do. Inherently, I don't like them. I also have more than a few of them at this point (CTS, FSC, etc) and know of plenty others that exist, with out issue.

Regarding the diameter of the blank, it's fairly meaningless by itself. A smaller diameter but thicker wall can accomplish the same thing as a larger diameter blank.

I know of a quite a few CTS rods in use. I haven't seen them fail any more than any other blank out there.

On 6/26/2020 at 3:04 AM, Don B said:

Might be able to turn it into a spigot.

Bits of broken rods are like gold - I hoard them all

On 6/27/2020 at 7:42 AM, Drew C. said:

Regarding the diameter of the blank, it's fairly meaningless by itself. A smaller diameter but thicker wall can accomplish the same thing as a larger diameter blank.

One of the first fish I hooked last season was on my 5M90HF, the diameter of the blank was somewhere in the neighborhood of 3/4", perhaps a little bigger with the tarred seiners cord I use for my grips. I had spotted a nice fish rolling about 100yds north of me and I was walking while trying to focus on keeping my eyes on the general vicinity of where I saw that fish roll. I got caught not paying attention. A large tarpon about 20yds out nails my plug, my ribs took the brunt of the strike. I honestly didn't know dislocated ribs were even a thing, but that's what happened, with a rod almost twice the diameter of the vapor trail. I'm looking at this thing as we speak, and can't see a way to make it comfortable. I should have gotten the S7.

Local66,

Edit: sorry, didn't see you had already ordered a blank to use in place of your CTS

You may be aware of the option but the black hole striped bass special 10' 3/4-4 is an 70/30 split, thin for a typical surf rod but surely thicker than your CTS. That blank weighs 6.4 oz I think. My 11' 1-6oz blank measures 0.69'' at the butt, and I'd predict that the 10' blank wouldn't be under 0.6''. You could always thicken it up with a rear grip of some sort.

As for durability and strength, there is a video of testing those blanks where they're bent totally in half, with a significant portion of flexion right on the ferrule. They seem to be capable of handling this without significant issue. The blanks are light and very sweet to cast and fish. The rated weight range is as honest as honest can be. They're an unsanded blank too, if that's important to you.

I know nothing about Florida tarpon (though I plan to soon, moving to the Clearwater area in 4 weeks), just thought I'd throw in another name for possible consideration for your purposes.

Edited by RedGreen

2 hours ago, RedGreen said:

You may be aware of the option but the black hole striped bass special 10' 3/4-4 is an 70/30 split, thin for a typical surf rod but surely thicker than your CTS. That blank weighs 6.4 oz I think

It's nice.

Playiing around with one at the moment, testing around a Tranx 400, as I have a personal affliction for conventional reels, but that is neither here nor there.

Taped it up with 10 double foot guides and a mix of EVA and shrink grips with a plate seat so i can move stuff around easily, I estimate a final weight of around 270g / 9.5oz with a "proper" reel seat and fore-grip

Not bad for a rod that feels like it will throw its indicated weight range.

I'll have  a casting session tomorrow with a SS Bullet Stubby Needle (63g / 2.2oz w/o hooks)

11 mins ago, ZAFisher said:

It's nice.

Playiing around with one at the moment, testing around a Tranx 400, as I have a personal affliction for conventional reels, but that is neither here nor there.

Taped it up with 10 double foot guides and a mix of EVA and shrink grips with a plate seat so i can move stuff around easily, I estimate a final weight of around 270g / 9.5oz with a "proper" reel seat and fore-grip

Not bad for a rod that feels like it will throw its indicated weight range.

I'll have  a casting session tomorrow with a SS Bullet Stubby Needle (63g / 2.2oz w/o hooks)

Tranx is fun. I like them a lot, want one but won't buy unless I can verify a real need for it. 

I just came back from a 2 week trip on the North Shore of Massachusetts, fished my black hole east coast special 11' (cut to 6'' off the butt) 3/4-4 oz, and my striped bass special 11' 1-6oz. The SBS has a smoother curve overall and fights fish really well without sacrificing it's load range. I can cast and fish stuff from 1-6 oz no problem at all. 3/4-4 on my ECS is just the same, but it locks up very strongly at the ferrule, I dropped a lot of fish because I was unknowingly horsing them too much. Granted, these were all schoolies, under 30'', so that has something to do with it. The 30#ers I encountered I would have a very hard time dropping from ripping hooks out. The trade-off is the tip section of the ECS is lighter than the SBS. I can throw 1/2oz very well on my ECS, it would be a bit too light for the 3/4-4 SBS. 

A conventional 10' SBS with a tranx sounds so sweet, going to be a lot of fun to fish with. I'd have built all my surf rods as conventionals if I could find some as well sealed as spinning reels. I haven't yet. I have a greater affinity for conventional as well, but treat my gear pretty harshly so I think even the tranx would get trashed pretty fast with how I fish. 

Edited by RedGreen

6 hours ago, RedGreen said:

Local66,

Edit: sorry, didn't see you had already ordered a blank to use in place of your CTS

You may be aware of the option but the black hole striped bass special 10' 3/4-4 is an 70/30 split, thin for a typical surf rod but surely thicker than your CTS. That blank weighs 6.4 oz I think. My 11' 1-6oz blank measures 0.69'' at the butt, and I'd predict that the 10' blank wouldn't be under 0.6''. You could always thicken it up with a rear grip of some sort.

As for durability and strength, there is a video of testing those blanks where they're bent totally in half, with a significant portion of flexion right on the ferrule. They seem to be capable of handling this without significant issue. The blanks are light and very sweet to cast and fish. The rated weight range is as honest as honest can be. They're an unsanded blank too, if that's important to you.

I know nothing about Florida tarpon (though I plan to soon, moving to the Clearwater area in 4 weeks), just thought I'd throw in another name for possible consideration for your purposes.

I'm familiar with their stuff. I'm sure they're nice. They're not for me. I have tarpon rods from United Composites, seeker, St. Croix, Lamiglas and CTS once I decide to build this vapor trail. The seeker baby ulua is probably still my favorite. I have a 10' CTS S7 here at the house, and it feels much better suited for what I'm doing, unfortunately it's not mine, I'm just building it for a friend.

Funny you should mention the tranx 400. I have the 400hg on a GSB 108mh, and it is very fun. I haven't had it a full season yet, but so far so good.

1 hour ago, Local66 said:

I'm familiar with their stuff. I'm sure they're nice. They're not for me. I have tarpon rods from United Composites, seeker, St. Croix, Lamiglas and CTS once I decide to build this vapor trail. The seeker baby ulua is probably still my favorite. I have a 10' CTS S7 here at the house, and it feels much better suited for what I'm doing, unfortunately it's not mine, I'm just building it for a friend.

Funny you should mention the tranx 400. I have the 400hg on a GSB 108mh, and it is very fun. I haven't had it a full season yet, but so far so good.

Gotcha. If you wouldn't mind explaining it to me, why don't you like the black hole rods/blanks? What makes the seeker baby ulua so valuable to you? I'm looking to catch tarpon from shore on the west coast and I'm sure your perspective would be valuable for someone just starting out with these fish.

2 hours ago, RedGreen said:

Gotcha. If you wouldn't mind explaining it to me, why don't you like the black hole rods/blanks? What makes the seeker baby ulua so valuable to you? I'm looking to catch tarpon from shore on the west coast and I'm sure your perspective would be valuable for someone just starting out with these fish.

Personal preference. The seeker is more forgiving. It loads a little deeper, and the recovery time is a little slower than your average full carbon rod. I never feel like I've been hit by a truck after releasing a fish. My full carbon rods are lighter, and more responsive, but they beat the crap out of me. You might favor something completely different for your area. I really don't know anything about the gulf. I spent some time in Pensacola in the early 90's, but I never had time to fish.

15 hours ago, Local66 said:

Personal preference. The seeker is more forgiving. It loads a little deeper, and the recovery time is a little slower than your average full carbon rod. I never feel like I've been hit by a truck after releasing a fish. My full carbon rods are lighter, and more responsive, but they beat the crap out of me. You might favor something completely different for your area. I really don't know anything about the gulf. I spent some time in Pensacola in the early 90's, but I never had time to fish.

Gotcha. I'm still pretty young and unweathered so that's not quite as big a concern at the moment as it is for you. I do really enjoy responsiveness, but also enjoy the cushioning of a rod that absorbs the shock and stress of a fight very well. My east coast special doesn't really do that.

Bummer to hear you don't know much about the west coast. I'll have to meet some people to learn from or just figure it out myself. Not opposed to that. I'm normally very solitary but always appreciate the chance to learn and observe someone else.

4 hours ago, RedGreen said:

Gotcha. I'm still pretty young and unweathered so that's not quite as big a concern at the moment as it is for you. I do really enjoy responsiveness, but also enjoy the cushioning of a rod that absorbs the shock and stress of a fight very well. My east coast special doesn't really do that.

I'm not sure I'd call myself "weathered". I'm a 45 year old Navy SAR with a bad elbow. I pull long days, it isn't chill, it's not relaxing. Again, I'm not familiar with your habitat in Pensacola, but I'm sure you'll have a few migratory fish in the surf. If you put in the work, you'll find them. I have half a dozen people in my circle that do this daily, we all use different gear. Some like a stout 8' rod, some like a 10'6", I generally fish 9's. There's no wrong answer. It all works.

2 mins ago, Local66 said:

I'm not sure I'd call myself "weathered". I'm a 45 year old Navy SAR with a bad elbow. I pull long days, it isn't chill, it's not relaxing. Again, I'm not familiar with your habitat in Pensacola, but I'm sure you'll have a few migratory fish in the surf. If you put in the work, you'll find them. I have half a dozen people in my circle that do this daily, we all use different gear. Some like a stout 8' rod, some like a 10'6", I generally fish 9's. There's no wrong answer. It all works.

I'm sure I will. I plan to spend a lot of time on the water once I get to the Tampa area. I get there's no one answer for sure, I was just curious. Didn't mean anything derogatory by my words, just that you have spent more time on the water in general than I have. That's all.