Dustyn

Cts Vapor Trail 10' 1.5 - 3 oz

Rate this topic

61 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

It was throwing SP minnows and super strike little neck poppers perfectly fine. As well as half ounce and 3/4 ounce bucktails. last night I put on one of my goo goo man metal lip swimmers and laid into a cast. 

Edited by Dustyn

Ouch! Is this rod a 50/50? Did the break happen in between the stripper and second guide? This has never happened to me, but I still like to get a guide just above the ferrule, rather than just below.

4 hours ago, Branches said:

Ouch! Is this rod a 50/50? Did the break happen in between the stripper and second guide? This has never happened to me, but I still like to get a guide just above the ferrule, rather than just below.

Yeah it's a 50-50, broke in between the stripper and the next guide. I have one just above but if they send me a new blank I'm changing the layout.

Well I'm still working to get a new blank from cts. They claim that I overloaded it and there was no defect. The lady has been somewhat helpfully and said the rod designer recommended that I step up to the next blank size 2-4 oz. It sound like they will be sending me that blank but I'm not sure how it's all going to shake out yet.

This is the heaviest plug I threw with the rod. My opinion is, if you rate a rod to 3oz it better be able to handle that weight throwing for the fences. I would thing it really should of handled it because my guide train was lighter in weight due to tourzite. 

Ps: has two nice bass on that plug that trip.

20200615_225451.jpg

I have more than my share of CTS blanks, their high end is absolutely not accurate (as are many other manufacturers). The 1-3 is really .75-2.25/2.5. The 2-4 tops out under 3; 3-6 is a 1-4... you get the point.

7 mins ago, Drew C. said:

I have more than my share of CTS blanks, their high end is absolutely not accurate (as are many other manufacturers). The 1-3 is really .75-2.25/2.5. The 2-4 tops out under 3; 3-6 is a 1-4... you get the point.

Megan from cts is recommending I step up the blank size. So I sent her a pic of the plug on the scale I want to throw. Asking her to talk to the designer on which blank I should be using.

I definitely agree with the the weight rating being off. I would say that blank is a .5 to 1.75 oz maybe 2 

Dustyn,

Really crappy having your new pride and joy break.

1. Too light a rod for the load; my own preference would for a 2-4oz (genuine rating) rod for a 2.5oz plug; something that is not taken into account by many is that a wind resistant plug of 2oz puts a greater load on a rod than a 2oz metal.

2. Too big a distance between the RV25 stripper and the KL12H. 16' is way too much, especially considering the joint spanned that gap pretty much equally.

13 mins ago, ZAFisher said:

Dustyn,

Really crappy having your new pride and joy break.

1. Too light a rod for the load; my own preference would for a 2-4oz (genuine rating) rod for a 2.5oz plug; something that is not taken into account by many is that a wind resistant plug of 2oz puts a greater load on a rod than a 2oz metal.

2. Too big a distance between the RV25 stripper and the KL12H. 16' is way too much, especially considering the joint spanned that gap pretty much equally.

Thanks, I agree with you. I am glad this happend so I can learn how to strip a rod down. I wasn't happy with the layout but I epoxied my RV underwrap before checking in on here to see what you guys thought. I just hope this is a warranty thing and not completely out of pocket for me.

Thanks for the help fellas