Birdsnester

Nice 712Z

25 posts in this topic

Just picked up another super clean Z series Penn.  I am liking my new hobby.  My wife is going to kill me LOL.  Not bad for $39 me thinks...

IMG_9574 (2).JPG

IMG_9575.JPG

IMG_9576 (2).JPG

IMG_9578.JPG

2 hours ago, Birdsnester said:

Just picked up another super clean Z series Penn.  I am liking my new hobby.  My wife is going to kill me LOL.  Not bad for $39 me thinks...

IMG_9574 (2).JPG

IMG_9575.JPG

IMG_9576 (2).JPG

IMG_9578.JPG

Thats a great deal for the  reel..and a great reel! I have a  couple and  use them  a lot. 

The older torpedo  handle,  combined with the tapered bail to roller guide are the best  ones.( like  you  have)

The other  Z sizes are all good,  the 712z is my fav.

20200516_145343.jpg

9 hours ago, FishRatz said:

Thats a great deal for the  reel..and a great reel! I have a  couple and  use them  a lot. 

The older torpedo  handle,  combined with the tapered bail to roller guide are the best  ones.( like  you  have)

The other  Z sizes are all good,  the 712z is my fav.

20200516_145343.jpg

I am becoming such a Z fan.  My favorite is the 710Z because I use it on an 11’ Black Hole rod and I need a little larger spool but don’t need a 704z.  The reels cast as well as anything I own.  Remarkable for something of this vintage.  Yours looks perfect for that setup.

The  rod is an early 60s west coast Golden  Sabre Nypoxy Basstroker, with incredible  flex for a  vintage  rod.

Its difficult to find  good vintage  rods that  don't  need to be rewrapped, this one  was unused for almost 60 years.

Here is my 710z on another  custom 'Chocolate Sabre' 7ft spinning rod. Great  foam  grips. I've landed a few  nice  stripers and lots of seabass with  this setup. 

20200520_185919.jpg

20200520_185856.jpg

20200520_190009.jpg

10 hours ago, FishRatz said:

Here is my 710z on another  custom 'Chocolate Sabre' 7ft spinning rod. Great  foam  grips. I've landed a few  nice  stripers and lots of seabass with  this setup. 

20200520_185919.jpg

20200520_185856.jpg

20200520_190009.jpg

That setup looks really mint.  I’ve found that these old z reels work great in new carburetor n rods too.  I have my 710 on a Black Hole North East Special and it’s pretty awesome.  And it’s nice to know that if anything goes wrong I can fix it super easily.  I’m  starting to get a collection going.  Just picked up a 714z..  it seems like those are more difficult to come by so I did pay the price but can’t wait to receive it.

The 714z series gets into the  freshwater  class and a whole lot more fishermen interested, that's why  they are harder to find and fetch  top dollar.

I recently  got a 714 Ultrasport greenie , and those  fetch the  highest  prices  of any vintage  Penn, except for an International conventional with a market  all its own.

I just picked up a 712Z yesterday at the local antique store. Being sold as is because the anti reserve didn’t work. $15!!

Took it home and found that all the pieces were inside, the little screw that holds the dog and spring in place had just come undone so it had just fallen apart.

A little beat up on the outside but the inside was spotless, no corrosion or hardened grease. Drag was in great shape too. Only took 20 minutes to tare down and relube. Whoever originally owned this must’ve known what they were doing before it ended up in some dealers hands then here.  I have a 704Z so to see that these are more or less identical internally was great to see. Anyone can service these reels and they'll last forever.

Too bad the parts for the 712Z aren’t has readily available as the 704Z. The bail wire on it is wonky and I’m having a doozy trying to get it bent back correctly. Mine has the elongated end, if it came with the blunt end version I would’ve cut it off entirely and gone bailess.

On 5/21/2020 at 8:00 AM, FishRatz said:

I recently  got a 714 Ultrasport greenie , and those  fetch the  highest  prices  of any vintage  Penn, except for an International conventional with a market  all its own.

There are many vintage Penn reels that will fetch more money than a 714 greenie and an International combined. 

8 mins ago, FishRatz said:

Just upgraded my vintage Sabre Basstroker 6ft with a brand new never  used 712z

I love this  setup!

20200916_190103.jpg

20200916_190012.jpg

20200916_190139.jpg

20200916_190158.jpg

20200916_190044.jpg

you fish what you collect?

57 mins ago, 7 Rivers said:

you fish what you collect?

All of it gets fished and  well  cared for.

Life is too short to just watch it collect  dust.

On 9/16/2020 at 8:29 PM, FishRatz said:

All of it gets fished and  well  cared for.

Life is too short to just watch it collect  dust.

I have a couple of reels that I just can't fish.  I have a perfect 700 greenie with the aluminum under rotor.  Not a scratch on the reel.  I have two other Greenies that are less than perfect.  One is almost new the other I would fish.