fred damasco

Daiwam7htmag

Rate this topic

22 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

1 hour ago, Birdsnester said:

If you have ever watched tournament casting nobody used their thumb anymore.  They tune the reel to just to the cusp of blowing up.  That’s the way I use mine but I add just a tad more mag when fishing.  I’ve casted 630’ with a 5 oz bank sinker so I’m not too bad.  Something must have been up with that daiwa.  I have no issue with the seigler drag BTW.  What don’t you like about it?  I had 100 pound rays pulling for quite a bit on it and had no troubles

Tournament and fishing casting are two different things, I can pound over 200 consistently on the field with a fathom 15, 8oz, and a 1509 rainshadow. Fishing, it changes with the conditions. I hate over magged reels. Friend of mine I fish with has two MXL MCs, mag turned to one full pendulum still won't fluff. He's no champion caster, but they kill me. Seen two sieglers that had issues with drags burning out, sticky drag or no drag at all. They may have fixed it, but just like Avet for that much money I don't expect simple repetitive problems. My old daiwa 30 is geary, screams like a banshee on whatever bearing set it's on, and still keeps licking. I had two fathom 15s, down to one, 525 GS with the brake cage pulled and a daiwa, plan on picking up a 15 CS and pulling a mag here soon. Have a 970 mag that I cleaned and put tsi in the bearings, shaved the mag and it's one of my best throwing reels for bigger fishing, just don't like to take it out.

Edited by Grayson

1 hour ago, Grayson said:

Tournament and fishing casting are two different things, I can pound over 200 consistently on the field with a fathom 15, 8oz, and a 1509 rainshadow. Fishing, it changes with the conditions. I hate over magged reels. Friend of mine I fish with has two MXL MCs, mag turned to one full pendulum still won't fluff. He's no champion caster, but they kill me. Seen two sieglers that had issues with drags burning out, sticky drag or no drag at all. They may have fixed it, but just like Avet for that much money I don't expect simple repetitive problems. My old daiwa 30 is geary, screams like a banshee on whatever bearing set it's on, and still keeps licking. I had two fathom 15s, down to one, 525 GS with the brake cage pulled and a daiwa, plan on picking up a 15 CS and pulling a mag here soon. Have a 970 mag that I cleaned and put tsi in the bearings, shaved the mag and it's one of my best throwing reels for bigger fishing, just don't like to take it out.

I agree tournament casting and fishing are apples and oranges.  Always wanted a 970.  I am glad to hear that it’s a good caster.  Thanks for all the information.  Really appreciate it. 

On ‎20‎/‎05‎/‎2020 at 11:12 AM, Birdsnester said:

I found that I had to cast the 7HT hard or it would fluff even at full Mag.  It’s a really fast reel.  Of course that was with a lure not a tournament sinker.  I feel like the Daiwa was too much trouble for everyday fishing.  So I sold it and got reels with more control to overcome the various weather conditions we experience as anglers.  

9 hours ago, Birdsnester said:

That’s crazy,  I can’t imagine why mine was so fast.  I use conventionals all the time so it’s not me LoL.  I have abu 6500’s Seigler SM, Akios Shuttles and the new Nitron.  All good but that Daiwa kicked my butt.

Hi BN,

The mag control in 7ht mags operate differently to the reels models mentioned above which all have mag control operated via proximity (magnets move to and from spool wall).

7ht mags have two magnetic rings housed inside the left side plate where mag dial alters magnets polarity while a conducting collar on the left hand side of spool has to centrifugally counteract spring resistance to engage in a gap between two magnetic rings to offer braking.

What you was throwing (lures) was not enough weight to counter the spring resistance for conducting collar to take effect and this leads to a dicey reel for application. Even short pitching lead weights sees them becoming uncontrollable for not generating enough rpm's for spool to throw out its conducting collar. They are not reels designed for throwing light projectiles or short pitching directly off the mag unit with.

Hope this helps.

12 mins ago, Fish'aholic said:

Hi BN,

The mag control in 7ht mags operate differently to the reels models mentioned above which all have mag control operated via proximity (magnets move to and from spool wall).

7ht mags have two magnetic rings housed inside the left side plate where mag dial alters magnets polarity while a conducting collar on the left hand side of spool has to centrifugally counteract spring resistance to engage in a gap between two magnetic rings to offer braking.

What you was throwing (lures) was not enough weight to counter the spring resistance for conducting collar to take effect and this leads to a dicey reel for application. Even short pitching lead weights sees them becoming uncontrollable for not generating enough rpm's for spool to throw out its conducting collar. They are not reels designed for throwing light projectiles or short pitching directly off the mag unit with.

Hope this helps.

Ah I got ya.  That’s why I was able to control it better the harder I casted.  This reel would be better suited as a bait reel tossing 5 oz or so I would guess.  Thanks, thanks helped a lot!

3 hours ago, Birdsnester said:

Ah I got ya.  That’s why I was able to control it better the harder I casted.  This reel would be better suited as a bait reel tossing 5 oz or so I would guess.  Thanks, thanks helped a lot!

Yup. Shame Daiwa don't explain their magnafuge system in those manual's that come's with said reels, it would saved some anglers on mainline. :)