Daiwam7htmag

Rate this topic

fred damasco

4 hours ago, fred damasco said:

I have a Penn Squall 15 reel and now I am purchasing the Daiwa M7HtMag. Is there much difference between the two reels in terms of the techniques of casting with the reels?

Assuming same line rod and payload.

Neither really presented me with any surprises.....both can be speedy.....and both can be relatively tame.  Just learn the brakes before leaning into one with bait on.

"Panacheless is no way to go through life"

Tims

I found that I had to cast the 7HT hard or it would fluff even at full Mag.  It’s a really fast reel.  Of course that was with a lure not a tournament sinker.  I feel like the Daiwa was too much trouble for everyday fishing.  So I sold it and got reels with more control to overcome the various weather conditions we experience as anglers.  

3 hours ago, fred damasco said:

HI Birdnester, since the reel is very fast, do you think that if you gently place your thumb on the spool it will prevent backlashes? 

If you can educate your thumb yes.  But for me, with all the quality conventional surf casting reels out there I would just get another model.  The reel doesn’t have much guts either.  If you are 8 and bait why not go with a Seigler SM.  Casts great, there is a mag upgrade should you need more, and it has 40 pounds of drag.

13 hours ago, Birdsnester said:

I found that I had to cast the 7HT hard or it would fluff even at full Mag.  It’s a really fast reel.  Of course that was with a lure not a tournament sinker.  I feel like the Daiwa was too much trouble for everyday fishing.  So I sold it and got reels with more control to overcome the various weather conditions we experience as anglers.  

Had different experience with both my blue 7HTmag and 7HT mag ST....both very controllable and way tooo much braking on full Mag.

35 mins ago, dcast said:

Only when hits the water to avoid overrun.....you're supposed to use the mag system to prevent backlash...not the thumb.

Agreed I don’t use mine.  I was trying to figure how you might think the 7HT has too much Mag.  Dunno, mine was super fast.  I did have the super tuned model maybe that’s why.  

32 mins ago, Birdsnester said:

Agreed I don’t use mine.  I was trying to figure how you might think the 7HT has too much Mag.  Dunno, mine was super fast.  I did have the super tuned model maybe that’s why.  

My ST is very manageable.. ...over magged IMO. Some folks have to perform surgery on theirs to speed them up.

Seigler drags are trash. Way to many people think that they should be able to cast and not have to thumb at all, if you can you have to much control. If you don't blow up occasionally, you ain't slinging. I threw a 7HT mag a bit, after a good going through it was a nice enough casting reel, but far more suited for the field. As for the squall, drog the extra change on a fathom. Haven't picked a second gen up yet due to boogered spring trips, but my first Gen was still pounding them out Saturday.

I have used the squall and the 525 mag for the past few years. I was looking for a reel that would cast out further so I bought the M7 Ht. I am not a good fisherman but I can get a cast out far enough with the squall, but I was looking for more distance. Considering the difference between the squall and the M7, do you know what type of settings on the M7 I should make when I use it. Do I use the same casting motion with regards to the speed that I cast the rod. Excuse me ignorance.  Thanks for the advice. 

9 hours ago, dcast said:

My ST is very manageable.. ...over magged IMO. Some folks have to perform surgery on theirs to speed them up.

That’s crazy,  I can’t imagine why mine was so fast.  I use conventionals all the time so it’s not me LoL.  I have abu 6500’s Seigler SM, Akios Shuttles and the new Nitron.  All good but that Daiwa kicked my butt.

8 hours ago, Grayson said:

Seigler drags are trash. Way to many people think that they should be able to cast and not have to thumb at all, if you can you have to much control. If you don't blow up occasionally, you ain't slinging. I threw a 7HT mag a bit, after a good going through it was a nice enough casting reel, but far more suited for the field. As for the squall, drog the extra change on a fathom. Haven't picked a second gen up yet due to boogered spring trips, but my first Gen was still pounding them out Saturday.

If you have ever watched tournament casting nobody used their thumb anymore.  They tune the reel to just to the cusp of blowing up.  That’s the way I use mine but I add just a tad more mag when fishing.  I’ve casted 630’ with a 5 oz bank sinker so I’m not too bad.  Something must have been up with that daiwa.  I have no issue with the seigler drag BTW.  What don’t you like about it?  I had 100 pound rays pulling for quite a bit on it and had no troubles

Edited by Birdsnester