ottz700

Go to blues lures

Rate this topic

71 posts in this topic

On 5/22/2020 at 9:46 AM, e_williams973 said:

Replacing the treble hooks a must for blues?

I think it just makes it safer on our end. 

No matter the plug you use for blues, I'd definitely change the tail hook to a single hook.  I decided to change it to a single hook years ago when I caught blues with their mouths locked shut on a treble hook.  2 hooks on the upper lip and 1 on the bottom.  Needless to say it was a struggle to remove the treble hook safely.  Had to bring that blue home.

On 5/19/2020 at 6:42 PM, ASrod said:

Gotcha plug

two trebles on a 2" lure with blues doesnt spell idea IMO. Love the gotcha, but Id ditch the front treble and replace the back with a single.  YMMV

On the days when it is not easy to pickup a fish... the school bus bomber is the one that I find delivers the most.

On 5/21/2020 at 2:44 PM, Reed422 said:

Loaded 6” Cordell pencil

I dont load em. Just switch out the trebles. Absolute most fun I can have fishing.

1 hour ago, i07nyc said:

I dont load em. Just switch out the trebles. Absolute most fun I can have fishing.

The fact that they aren't through wired worries me but whatever. The stock hooks definitely bend but I mostly get blues on them so whatever. I haven't been targeting bluefish much lately, especially since my favorite spot that I've been going to for 15 years is now enforcing towing. Time to make new plans!

Whatever plug I’m trying to catch Striped Bass on. I don’t target blues necessarily if there are bass around but I respect their power and like catching gators.