Livefreeordie

Any Robin Slayers Around?

Rate this topic

35 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, NedRyerson said:

Learn all you need to know about catching the crafty, cagey, mighty Sea Robin on my new site. 

1277C49B-13DF-4811-978E-3BA389F7EF33.jpeg

LMFAO.......:point:

16 hours ago, NedRyerson said:

Learn all you need to know about catching the crafty, cagey, mighty Sea Robin on my new site. 

1277C49B-13DF-4811-978E-3BA389F7EF33.jpeg

All you need is a video showing the ins & outs of catching the wily sea robin. 

Pretty easy to get a world record too...

I caught a dozen on a fly rod over the long weekend. One was massive. Not sure keeping the ugly b******* is for me, but I might could change my mind. 

I went out yesterday to a few shorelines and caught them non stop. I even caught one on a 6" talkin' popper. The rest were all caught on bucktails. Just kept 5. Delicious fish and chips. There isn't a lot of meat but 1-2 fish for 1 person is really good.

On 5/19/2020 at 0:21 PM, Gotcow? said:

I rather enjoy catching them on light tackle,

and they do taste quite good.

Me too! 

Haven't been out yet this year but last year I did pretty good. 

Other than cutbait. I got a bunch on kastmasters & bucktails.   

I'm gonna try using the belly for a strip bait this year. It's nice and white, plus it usually ends up in the trash. 

4 hours ago, Jubert93 said:

I went out yesterday to a few shorelines and caught them non stop. I even caught one on a 6" talkin' popper. The rest were all caught on bucktails. Just kept 5. Delicious fish and chips. There isn't a lot of meat but 1-2 fish for 1 person is really good.

It’s amazing how little meat there is on a sea robin. They are almost all head. They taste good but I prefer to keep porgy, sea bass or fluke to spend less time filleting for more meat. 

Tried one once and didn't really like it, cooked at the same time as some seabass and it didn't compare well, could be in my head though idk. Rather catch them than nothing though I guess.

1 hour ago, z-man said:

It’s amazing how little meat there is on a sea robin. They are almost all head. They taste good but I prefer to keep porgy, sea bass or fluke to spend less time filleting for more meat. 

I agree Z-man.  That's why I only keep the big ones.

1 hour ago, nateD said:

Tried one once and didn't really like it, cooked at the same time as some seabass and it didn't compare well, could be in my head though idk. Rather catch them than nothing though I guess.

It’s definitely not as good as sea bass or fluke. I think it’s similar to porgy. 

Did you keep any? 

As far as searobin numbers I ask.

But why?  That's what I wanna learn more about. Is this a natural cycle akin to the snowshoe hare/lynx cycle?  What eats sea robins regularly?  

Anyone use them for bait?

15 hours ago, PSegnatelli said:

Did you keep any? 

As far as searobin numbers I ask.

But why?  That's what I wanna learn more about. Is this a natural cycle akin to the snowshoe hare/lynx cycle?  What eats sea robins regularly?  

Anyone use them for bait?

I've seen plenty of videos of people using fillet strips for fluke.